• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My first greenhouse – tips please
  • Bunnyhop

The neighbour donated her greenhouse to us and it's finally up. Bit late in the season I know. Any tips would be appreciated as to how to keep it clean, what stuff to grow etc.

DaRC_L

Do you intend it to be heated or cold?
    Have you considered a heat sink when you build it?

How about using old inner tubes (and bladders?) as a watering system.

I normally use mine to grow seeds (along with a heated propagator) and then for growing salad veg, tomatoes and peppers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ban these from any kids –

Also confiscate any footballs

Bunnyhop

Knew nothing about a heat sink. I need to learn a lot.

ourmaninthenorth

**miketually to the forum**

(mike's got a greenhouse shaped like a UFO)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That would be an IFO then?

I am very hot in my coat.

IainAhh
    Free Member

If you buy small plants from a garden center it will get you started easier this year.
    Peppers, chillies, cucumber, courgettes, tomatoes etc all grow well.
    Most of the above will need supported when they have grow a little.

Salad , like lettuce, salad leaves etc are really good if you eat that kind of stuff, you then don't have to buy any at the supermarket that go off after a couple of days. Just pull off the leaves you want to eat and the lettuce will keep growing once it is a reasonable size.

Also herbs like parsley, basil etc grow well.

I tend to find putting seedlings into decent sized pots straight off works well. Also thiings like herbs and lettuce can be put outside once they have grown a bit. The greenhouse brings them on faster.

If it is sunny during the day you will need to leave the door open or roof vent. As you will fry whatever is in there.
    Also most things will need watered each day.

miketually
    Free Member

We just used ours to start off plants from seed and now have tomatoes and salad leaves in there.

ski
    Free Member

2nd the advice about salads quick and easy to grow & leaving the door open at the moment 😉

In mine I have:

Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Cucumbers
    Grape Vines
    Bindweed, Slow Worms & frogs 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I like the heatsink idea, simple easy and cheap.

willard

CHILLIS!!!!! They love a nice greenhouse (sadly all 18 of my chillis have to make do with a sunny window in the office. Except for the Naga and the Scotch Bonnet. They are outside at home)

Wilko are doing cheap drip watering systems at the moment that might be good for you.

miketually
    Free Member

(They're not in the greenhouse, but here's a little video of our 8-day-old chicks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_mc/4749636932/)

teagirl
    Free Member

I've just sown lots of perennial seeds in my newish greenhouse so they can get going for planting out next year. And I've lots of quick growing salads and basil going bonkers. I love having a g'house, my haven from the madness of the household. Get my seeds from Chilterns near Ullverston, great company to deal with. Enjoy!

toby1

<hijak>
    Can anyone explain to me why my neighbour has bubble wrap on the inside of the glss in hers please? Heat insulation? Light diffusion? or just to stop her sticking an arm through it too easily?
    </hijack>

Bunnyhop

Thanks everyone.
    I should have explained that I have been growing veg and fruit now for over 8 years, we also have a cold frame. The green house is new to me.
    I'm so excited and can't wait to get the seeds going for next year.

It has a wee cucumber in there now and 2 tomato plants.

Shed is arriving on Friday, to add to all the excitement.

Oh and Miketually, I really, really want 2 of those gorgeous chicks, can you talk Jules round when you see him at Hit the North?

miketually
    Free Member

Oh and Miketually, I really, really want 2 of those gorgeous chicks, can you talk Jules round when you see him at Hit the North?

We're keeping the hens, but you can have whichever ones turn out to be cocks 🙂

Bunnyhop

Lol.

TheSanityAssassin

You shouldn't throw stones.

ski
    Free Member

toby1 – Member

<hijak>
    Can anyone explain to me why my neighbour has bubble wrap on the inside of the glss in hers please? Heat insulation? Light diffusion? or just to stop her sticking an arm through it too easily?
    </hijack>

Its not hide the weed she is growing is it? 😉

Sorry toby1 I have no idea.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My first greenhouse – tips please’ is closed to new replies.