Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • My first ghetto tubeless ride – not good.
  • jonb
    Free Member

About an hour in, steep decent,hairpin. Tyre rolls off the rim dumping me in the bushes.

After all the faff with the possibility of that happening again (it could have been so much worse somewhere rocky rather than muddy) I think I’ll be sticking with tubes and looking for alternative methods of puncture protection until I need to replace my wheels and can run a proper UST setup.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what tyres

tails
    Free Member

don’t say that i’m contemplating going tubeless.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

what rims?
    what pressure?
    did you use strips or a split bmx tube?
    Were the beads a nice tight fit to the rim?
    Did they loose pressure slowly and then roll off?
    Or did it burp its guts up when it was side-loaded during the turn?

Try again?

jonb
    Free Member

Mavic 717
    Maxxis Advantage 2.1 Folding.
    I could fit them by hand but then I can most folding tyres they weren’t supper tight or loose.
    Split BMX tube
    All gone in one go, seemed to roll off fully inflated, no initial deflation, too quick.
    Was running 40psi

Try again is a bit off putting, what if it was a rocky decent or on a steep hillside. It wouldn’t have been mud/bushes I landed in but a scree slope I was rolling down!

DeeJay
    Free Member

I run that tyre and rim combo tubeless but use a Bontrager rim strip – bit of a b*gger to fit the strip but nearly as cheap as a tube. I have had no problems running them at 25-30 psi. Works for me.

13thfloormonk

Hard lines!

I run a 2.25 ADvantage on 717s, and run it at about 30 p.s.i. Its never even hinted at rolling off, even though its a fatter tyre running softer (which should make it more likely to roll i would have thought?).

Maybe the difference is that i’ve built the rim bed up with insulating tape (five or six layers of it at least). My theory was that by removing all the slack in the tyre (its really tight to get on) it won’t have anywhere to go.

What have you got beneath the split inner tube?

jonb
    Free Member

Velox cloth tape. so quite a bit of volume there to take up the slack.

ScotlandTheScared

It was a pretty loud noise when it happened – and I was about 10 metres away. A large POP noise followed by some swearing and rusting of bushes! We all had a good laugh – world record of 10 km travelled before finding out ghetto tubeless is sometimes a bit ropey.

Catch you next week Jon – dont think I will be out on Sunday or Monday…

Oh – and I reckon more tyre pressure would sort it. That hill was slow and steep and on a corner all the weight was going through the tyre laterally. Dont give up on tubeless yet – you may as well use up your stans fluid first!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

He says he had 40psi in! Seems more than enough considering others in the thread are running bigger tyres at lower volumes.

funkynick

I’ve recently just gone over to using ghetto tubeless on both my singlespeed and my 5 Spot… admittedly the 5 Spot is using wider rims, but it’s first trip out on them was to the Peak and they didn’t even bat an eyelid with my clumsy riding… they worked flawlessly. On the singlespeed I’m using 717 with 2.4 WTB running at about 30-35psi and they seem absolutely fine too.

I’m just wondering if the rim had been previously damaged, or the bead hadn’t fully seated and that was the problem. I’ve had a tyre blow off a rim with a tube in it, just standing on the floor because the bead hadn’t fully engaged…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run those tyres on Stans rims around the peaks. I run 27.5 psi front and 32.5 psi rear and I weight 15 st. I would suggest using a stans rim strip and a bit less pressure. The comment about building up the rim is good advice, you want to bead to feel very snug. Helps it inflate with a track pump as well.

spooky_b329

This is the reason I was put off trying tubeless until I could afford the right rims. Saw a couple of rapid deflations with someone using the Stans rim strips to convert their wheels…the tyre was flat before he managed to stop the bike. I’m not the most confident person when flying downhill at high speed and the possibility of the tyre burping off the rim on a rut wouldn’t help!

Just treated myself to Hope Hoops with Stans 355’s which’ll be tested thoroughly over the weekend 🙂

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’ve got 819s and they’re superb (well, they should be as they’re the proper thing). However, I’ve also got a rim strip (Rhynolite) on a Mavic 521 with a Nobby Nic tubeless tyre. It has really proven itself in the months I’ve been riding it. Perhaps you just got unlucky?

I actually bought the 819s for my main bike because my wheels were pretty knackered anyhow – it worked out cheaper and less hassle than stripping the hubs and buying the rim strips and all the gear!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Do you think people in the Bronx/South Central LA/Brazil actually run em tubeless? Maybe tubes are quite pricey in the real ghettos, would make sense

13thfloormonk

Haha, good point ooOOoo, I have a bit of trouble explaining myself in my day classes when I call it ‘ghetto’…

Brown
    Free Member

I’m becoming a bit dubious about using kevlar beaded tyres tubeless as I’ve had a couple stretch massively on me.

Coincidentally, the last one to do so was a 2.1 Advantage. Went from being a tight fit on the rim to as loose as a Panaracer. It burped, I pumped it up to about 30 psi (with a hand pump) and BOOM!, covered myself and my friends in latex. It then rolled off the rim when I punctured the tube the next day. From comments above, I would guess that the bead wasn’t seated too well, which could have caused the problem, but I’d run the tyre for a couple of months with no issues.

Never had the problem with steel beaded Maxxis or Bontrager tubeless-ready. I’m now giving spesh 2bliss a whirl.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Brown – forgive my ignorance but was this Advantage a tubeless tyre? Mine is tubeless and I cannot see it doing this but it’s something to bear in mind – my buddies wouldn’t be too impressed with me covering them in latex – it’s all a bit bromantic/brokeback for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar should bring out a ghetto kit really.

jonb
    Free Member

No standard folding.

rootes1

hi there, after getting a number of punctures of late from little thorns etc, been looking at going tubless to get some better puncture protection…

simple question is, if this is all your after could you just squirt some of the tubeless milk (stans, hutchinson etc) into your inner tube valves?

would seem to save all the bother with getting tyres to seal against rims etc..

????

Si

singletrackmind

Yes , you could. Or you buy the proper stuff ‘Slime’ and squirt that into your tubes. Its thick and gunky and makes your wheel out of balance, and really rather heavy. If you go ghetto you can use less latex, and it doesn’t bunch in the same way. As for the OP, Defective bead, or tyre perhaps. I bought an ADvantage to look at using as a ghetto tyre , but it seemed to fragile in construction . I have never had an issue ucing Vert Pro’s so far , even as low as 28 psi.

Epic
    Free Member

I’m running home made tubeless on the front of my Scott. I’m using a wire bead tyre though and have no problems (I weigh 96kg and descend hard):

Tyre – Conti Vertical wire bead on an Alex 44 XC rim.
    Rim strip made from 24″ tube, seated on rim with tub tape.
    Sealant is home made and put about 30ml in – 1/3 Liquid latex, 1/3 Washing up liquid, 1/3 Neat screen wash.

I’m running 30PSi and it never slips round or rolls off. It’s worked so well that some time next week I’m converting the rear the same way.

Sounds like the ADvantage may just not be the right tyre for this kind of thing?

rootes1

re slime – know about that it has been around for ages and is rubbish – just wonder if stans would perform better in an inner tube? Si

hitman
    Free Member

so do people put the insulating tape over stans yellow tape and then the rim strips on top to build up the tyre?

had a tyre blow on me in a similar way to op, but I’m sure its because I didnt get the tyre to seat properly by going for a gentle 20 min ride – t decided instead to go off some of the local yoof jumps and it blew almost straight away

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve never had much luck with non UST kevlar bead running ghetto, out of the tyres I’ve tried Maxxis wirebead are the best.

To help seat/seal the bead I always pump the tyres up to 60psi+ and then go for a decent ride.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘My first ghetto tubeless ride – not good.’ is closed to new replies.