Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My first ever 'what tyres' thread!
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Sorry 😀

but what tyres for….

loamy and flinty trails (ie mixed!)
    29 inch flavour
    around 2.4 width
    hard wearing
    good all rounder

going onto dtswiss rims if that makes any difference

my first foray into tubeless and I found the range of compounds and variants to be pretty baffling to be honest.

cheers

kimbers

chunky monkey

funkrodent

Hans Dampf are pretty good. The Chunky Monkey (as I understand it) is essentially a re-badged Maxxis, so represents excellent v4m

Clobber
    Free Member

Chronicle 😈

digger95
    Free Member

2.3 spesh Ground control for rear. A bit summery perhaps but nice volume.

yossarian
    Free Member

Any more for any more!?

Hands Dampf look ok, do they size up big or small?

Northwind

I’ve got a 29er hans dampf you can have for five british pounds, because it’s absolute shit. OK so arguably a rigid scandal isn’t the right tool for world enduro series race stages but still, I blame the tyre completely. It’s coming off tonight, I would personally rather fire it from a cannon into a volcano than inflict it on some other poor sod but hey, I don’t know you, you might be a bad person and deserving of it so let’s try.

Minion DHF if you want something that’s just as fast, just as tough, and about 19 times better at every damn thing.

yossarian
    Free Member

Oh dear 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Minion DHF 2.5 on the front.

Ardent, WTB Trail Boss or Geax Goma on the rear.

Hans Dampfs are about the most underwhelming tyre I’ve ever used! Lots of volume, but shit when leant over.

woodster

I’m liking my WTB Vigilante which does everything you want very well. Got a trail Boss on the rear which is doing very nicely and keeping things rolling well, but it might get swapped out when things get really muddy.

Tracey

You wont go far wrong with a Butcher/Pugatory combo. We run ours all year round.

m360
    Free Member

Recently gone tubeless myself (26er, but still applicable I reckon).

I went for Specialized Purgatory 2.3 up front and ground control 2.1 rear. Ridden these for a few weeks now. Done everything from Trail centre red and blacks in three counties to lakeland routes and local messing, in mixed conditions (wet, dry, and in between, sandy, rocky, rooty, etc). The Purgatory has been faultless, I really do mean that. It has impressed me and got me out of some bad line choices and stupid mistakes.

Was recommended on a thread when I asked, and it’s been great.

For the rear, I’ not sure, but imagine it could only be better than the ground control on wet rocks.

chakaping
    Free Member

You wont go far wrong with a Butcher/Pugatory combo.

This is correct, great all rounders – but a bit narrower than OP requested.

I have an On One Smorgasbord & Chunky Monkey pair in good nick that I’m unlikely to need again, if you wanna go the cheap secondhand route? They’re also good all rounders.

chiefgrooveguru

“Around 2.4 width” doesn’t mean much because there’s such a big difference between tyres that actually 2.4″ wide and tyres that say 2.4 on the side. Plenty of alleged 2.4 tyres which are smaller than ones which say 2.2 or 2.3 on them!

Tracey

Both the Butcher and Purgatory blow up wider than some 2.5 tyres we have tried.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Hutchinson Toro 2.35 front and rear

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My first ever 'what tyres' thread!’ is closed to new replies.