Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • My first ever "I've got a new bike" post
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

and here she is

Yes its from Halfords, thier new Carrera Subway Zero. Its my bike for commuting. Got it for £100 less than it should be, it's got horizontal droputs with chaintugs, flip flop formula hub and Truvativ cranks.

A few changes are in order – SPD's, a less harsh ratio for around here (currently 42×16) and probably some sort of tyre with a little more tread

I'm completely converted to SS, it's fantastic (although my legs disagree)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs proper mudguards, but otherwise, nice looking commuter!

theflatboy
    Free Member

needs guards, a rack and some of these:

jimmy

Before the Halfords flaming starts, I saw one last week and thought it was quite a tidy little number. I'm a sucker for straight rigid forks and black bikes, tho. Nice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That looks nice actually
    🙂

How much are they, please?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

what sprocket should i use on the back? 16 seems a little hard to get it going, checked the hub and its a Shimano cassette (?) but where do i get an 18 from?

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

£200

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bargain-tastic!

If it's a Shimano cassette freehub (As you say) than there's loads of sprockets that will fit. Look for Shimano DX sprockets, they're about £4 and last forever….
    🙂

nickc

cool. Nice looking bike. Steal at £200

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Steal at £200

No, aluminium.
    😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

If it is a Formula flip flop hub then it will be a screw on freewheel. These are available in an 18T too.

dmiller
    Free Member

£200? thats a steal!

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member
    Travis

put some proper gearing on that… I use a 49-12 and it'll be fun

avdave2

A tyre with more tread won't really give you any advantage on the road. You can't aquaplane a bike so you don't have to worry about dispersing the water. In fact tread just means less rubber on the road and therefore less grip given the same tyre width and compound. They don't go into the pits on the Tour to change to wet weather tyres do they.

racefaceec90

i like!!! 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘My first ever "I've got a new bike" post’ is closed to new replies.