Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • My first cyclocross race, advice please.
  • flip
    Free Member

I’m going to do my first race in Wolverhampton on Sunday, i’ve done lots of mtb races so it’s not too scary.

My question is why don’t the riders seem to carry drinks? am i missing something?

Also will i get out of puff? 🙂

wwaswas

the race is too short to really need a drink I’m told – plus you need an empty frame for lugging purposes.

ac282

You will be well and truly out of puff.
    Remember, it is only about an hour so there is no point in holding anything back.

flip
    Free Member

Oh, but this drink thing is a worry, an hour full on is tough without a drink, if it rains i can drink that 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

IME everyones going for it, they’re less techy than XC races so it’ll be like an off road TT.
    It’s also hard to recce the course unless you arrive early. Because they’ll usually have U10, U12, Youth races before the Seniors and they don’t hang about between classes.
    Oh and run lots tis often quicker.

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t drink during the race.But I sure need one at the end.If you’ve got someone going with you, get them to pass you a bottle,take a few swigs and throw it to one side for you helper to pick up.

flip
    Free Member

Can you only be handed drinks in an official place usually? the pits?

I got my brother coming too.

aP
    Free Member

Techincally if its not a high category race then you aren’t allowed to have drinks handed up – however normally no one cares. Its only if people get arsey that you may find that the commissaire stops it happening.
    He’ll need to be somewhere sensible where you won’t be going flat out or weaving between trees. I assume that it’ll go in and out of the velodrome/ athletics track? I remember whatching Steve Douce (I think it was) riding on his forehead for about 5 metres just after he’d come on to the track at Aldersley. Went to hospital and everything.

MrAgreeable

I’ve posted this before but it’s completely spot on.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/10/cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die-bsnyc.html

“I’m the egg master!”

taxi25
    Free Member

Without being an expert on the rules,I think only changing bikes and doing repairs are restricted to the “pits area”.I’ve seen drinks being handed out at other places.It would be best to check when you sign on though.

crazy-legs

General rule is that there is NO food/drink to be handed up at any point. You are allowed to change bikes/wheels/spares in the pit zone. If you break your bike 10 yds out of the pits you must run the length of the course back round to the pits to change.
    You don’t need a drink, it’s only an hour. Drink well beforehand and have some recovery stuff pre-mixed for straight afterwards. If you have time to drink you’re not trying hard enough!
    Are you doing it on your MTB or do you have a CX bike? If it’s MTB fit the thinnest mud tyres you can and pump the suspension up hard.

acjim
    Free Member

In my experience (1 race!) I got my Mum to hand me a bottle for a quick swig. I’m used to having hydration on tap from years of camelback use, I guess cx racer types are made of harder stuff. 🙂

rsmith
    Free Member

The course at Aldersley Stadium is more technical than most, so you should have an advantage against the clueless roadie types. This being the case though, you really need to hammer it on the “in between technical sections” to keep your place.
    It’s an interesting course so just enjoy it. It’s your first one so no-one’s expecting anything. I was seriously into my racing last year, but now I just race them for fun. I enjoy myself, ride as fast as I can, and if I beat some people in the process then great.
    I might be there, but will probably enjoy a clubrun more, so may do that. I don’t think the WMCCL guys will care if you have a drink tbh and there are no specific pits there, but most congregate around the finish line.
    Have fun, Rob

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My first cyclocross race, advice please.’ is closed to new replies.