Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • My first complete build with PICS
  • groundshaker
    Free Member

Hi all, thought I’d share my new build with the community and ask what you all think. It’s an NS Surge frame which arrived this morning:

The frame arrives. Very nice build quality for anyone interested in getting an NS, and very reasonable pricing compare to the likes of a Transition TransAM or Ragley.

Clever sliding dropouts for those that want to go single

It begins

A few hours later

Did it all go smoothly? It never does, front derailleur wrong size and wrong pull direction, bent the headset cups putting them in, and a 29.8mm seat clamp is almost unheard of in bike stores ( I cheated and used a more common 30mm)

I’ve only had a quick spin around the block but first impressions are good. The frame is very slack so I’m hoping it will be good on the trails. The steel frame makes a big difference to comfort and the short chain stays allow easy pick up of the front end.

Anyway what do you guys think?

chvck
    Free Member

Nice! I’ve got a slightly older Surge and really want the new model! Oddly enough, your colour scheme is rather similar to mine too 😀

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

That looks nice, that does.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Very nice. I like the colour scheme, makes it look tidy.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks great, I love the feel of the Surge!

montylikesbeer

tidy

racefaceec90

like it! 🙂 now you need to get it muddy 😀

Houns

Nice. However 2 points

1. Tyres and rim logos

2. You could have swept that bit of grit and gravel out of that concrete channel

Crag
    Free Member

Gotta love building a bike up in the kitchen!

groundshaker
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments guys, and I’ll make sure to sweep the grit up 😀

groundshaker
    Free Member

Crag, building a bike in a kitchen is a nightmare, especially a small one like this, the vinyl is now ruined

kudos100
    Free Member

I have a surge and love it, too bad it’s a touch to small. Lovely bike, only thing is the bars look a bit high?

RealMan
    Free Member

Flick the downtube.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That is a really nice frame, but why the uber high risers? is the head tube really short or something?

yunki
    Free Member

I nearly bought a Surge but decided it was too much bike for where and how I was riding.. and then I moved to East Dartmoor.. DOH!

love those frames and that build looks smart..

groundshaker
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a 40mm stem, I probably need to shorten the steerer tube and lose some of the spacers. The risers are probably a touch too “risey” as well (new word there)

groundshaker
    Free Member

head tube is only 4.3″, so pretty short

beanieripper
    Free Member

how high are those risers?

groundshaker
    Free Member

perhaps it’s the lighting or shadows, they don’t seem as high in person, I think 25mm rise

beanieripper
    Free Member

no way they are 25mm… they look about 2.5 – 3″ ?

groundshaker
    Free Member

ok I measured, 1.5″ rise

enfht
    Free Member

I like your bike

timc
    Free Member

Very nice, pity about the gold bits, look tacky 😯

groundshaker
    Free Member

🙁

invu
    Free Member

gold bits look fine IMO.

lose the outer ring and replace middle with 36er. you’re likely to bend a tooth sooner or later if you put the bike to good use.

flat bar, not riser would look better, but if you’re happy with how it rides then leave it.

overall 8/10. i likes.

kerv
    Free Member

Looks great fella, must be good to get this many posts before the inevitable dissing starts! 🙂

groundshaker
    Free Member

lol I thought it started with the gold bits, thanks for the comments though, appreciated

josh1982
    Free Member

Can i ask as my knowledge of tyres is small but whats the back tyre? I fancy a pair of them for my Blue Pigs as the High Rollers seem to drag?

timmys

Does no one else think those pedals are **** nasty? I like the rest though.

groundshaker
    Free Member

The back tyre is a Kenda Small Block 8, John Tomac Series, and the pedals are Superstar (and they’re awesome)

Hadge
    Free Member

Nice. A friend has a lovely blue coloured one and it looks so sweet.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I like the look of that, that’d be just right for battering down the local mountains and getting up and across ’em as well? what does the built bike weigh? looks like a really versatile frame that, if a bit of a lump for my needs.

groundshaker
    Free Member

It’s not the lightest bike, weighs 12.9kg, but the frame is fairly heavy to be strong, as it’s meant for the rough stuff.

enfht
    Free Member

What seatpost, how much setback?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The gold looks good. I think you can get some goldy coloured grips.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Just as an update to this thread…. the OP is now looking to sell the frame for a trail bike full sus.

So… if you’re after a hardcore hardtail, and have a full sus frame to swap – drop him a line 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘My first complete build with PICS’ is closed to new replies.