Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • my first carbon road bike (shameless new bike thread)
  • pinches
    Free Member

i built this Litespeed up 18months or so ago to start trying to keep fit and keep riding while living in London

had some great rides on it over the last 18months but got the opportunity to upgrade on Thursday, which turned into this

only riden 7miles home from the shop on it so far (mostly due to being hit and run by a black cab last night on my commuter, but thats a different story) but so far it’s ace. Not much difference weight wise, but much stiffer and more comfortable than the previous alloy/carbon hybrid.

I’ll be upgrading the wheels to something reynolds and carbon soon hopefully

rOcKeTdOg

much prefer the lok of the new one to the old

crikey
    Free Member

That looks cracking, I hope you’re very happy with it. Nice setup too, like a roadie rather than one of those I’ll-wear-my-baggies types…

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve just been out on my new road bike. First road bike in 19 years and it feels scary! Starting to get more comfortable on it, feeling in more control and picking up more speed after nearly a couple of hours on quiet roads and paths inside Crystal Palace park….still very nervous in traffic though!

Any tips for a newbie to road bikes? My back and shoulders are sore after just the short ride. I expected that, but any tips to getting more comfy? I’ve set the bars high initially, with 40mm of stem spacers and a 10 degree rise stem. Hope to slowly drop the bars as/when I get more flexible and used to the dropped position.

oldgit
    Free Member

Very nice.
    Do you need to upgrade?

pinches
    Free Member

yeah i’m absolutely made up with it! i got the litespeed originally as a hand me down from a colleague to “try” road riding, but never enjoyed it until i went and had a decent bike fit (hence the stem is much longer on the new Cinelli)

@neil the best thing i did for my road riding was go for a bike fit. It can be expensive, (circa £140) but i had a full physical assessment at the time then the bike setup for my flexibility and so i can get comfortable in the right position (i went to the specialized concept store in covent garden). Just start off gently and take the mileage up slowly, it’ll get more comfortable as you flexibility gets better and your core muscles get stronger.

@oldgit i didn’t “need” to upgrade at all, but i had been looking to get onto something stiffer as i’ve started racing cat4 criteriums

crikey
    Free Member

My top tip is SIT BACK; most people new to road bikes seem to try to sit too far forwards, so put too much weight through hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. Hands are for steering, not supporting half your body weight. In addition, learn to relax while riding, smooth and loose not tight and rough. Use the gears more than you think you should to allow a smooth cadence; they are at your finger tips for that reason. Learn to stand up and pedal, not just to climb, but to allow a change in position while maintaining speed. Don’t always ride as fast as possible, learn to potter, and work on being smooth…

neilnevill
    Free Member

here’s mine. Medium p-x nanolight. 105 group and Ultegra triple crank (granny may well go…but it was super cheap from Merlin so had to get it!) weighed in at 18.09lbs….needs a lighter saddle when that old one dies, and needs 4 or 5 inches chopping off the seat post too.

thanks for the tips. If the snow stays away I’ll be off to Richmond Park tomorrow for a lap or two.

sc-xc

If the snow stays away I’ll be off to Richmond Park tomorrow for a lap or two.

If you take the junk mail off the top of the rad, the snow will melt.

pinches
    Free Member

If the snow stays away I’ll be off to Richmond Park tomorrow for a lap or two.

it’s literally just started snowing in west London.

oldgit
    Free Member

@oldgit i didn’t “need” to upgrade at all, but i had been looking to get onto something stiffer as i’ve started racing cat4 criteriums

Hillingdon?

pinches
    Free Member

yeah i raced at Hillingdon on the 7th of Jan?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Got to love a nice road bike!!

neilnevill
    Free Member

it’s literally just started snowing in west London.

hmm, a dusting is settling here in Upper Norwood, South London now too. Poo, think I’ll be tweaking the bike setup but won’t get a chance to test the effects 😕

cinnamon_girl

I do think that the Litespeed is rather lovely, not that I’m biased or anything! So much nicer than their tarty looking current ones. Nevertheless, that’s a pretty good hand-me-down. 8)

One day I will have a Litespeed road bike, in my dreams. 🙂

Enjoy, once the roads are a bit clearer!

smell_it
    Free Member

The cinelli is very lovely, unlike that excuse for a ‘tash.

cinnamon_girl

The cinelli is very lovely, unlike that excuse for a ‘tash.

Ooooh, saucer of milk needed!

smell_it
    Free Member

Milk! Meh, I insist on cream 🙂

pinches
    Free Member

i know, i know, its terrible. my shaver ran out 10mins before i left for the race and it was the best i could do to avoid looking like twoface from batman 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ah thats a nice bike. I’ve got one of the original black Cinelli Willins. Love the way it rides.

Here’s a rubbish photo of mine:

stoney
    Free Member

Who want`s to see my Green (Kermit) Trek madone?

Again 😉

gab344
    Free Member

Just turned up at my LBS, 2012 Giant Defy Avanced 3, size M/L. Picked it up yesterday, so have yet to have a proper ride.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘my first carbon road bike (shameless new bike thread)’ is closed to new replies.