Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • My first boundary dispute – fences
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Fence on the left of our back garden has a rotten post. Just stopped the lady outside the house and asked her if she needed a hand fixing the fence. She told me she’s checked the plans and it’s actually my fence. The posts are on her side, so in order to fix it I’d have to enter her garden and her land.

I know it’s technically possible that this would be the case, but this is a recent development all by the same builder, and we had to pay for a fence on the *right* but not the left. So I strongly suspect she’s talking bobbins.

Also wondering why she just sat there looking at it blowing around and didn’t bother to pop round and mention it FFS. Especially if she thought about it, went to the trouble of finding out who owns it and that it wasn’t obvious. Even though I’d offered to help out of the blue she didn’t reciprocate in any way, just shrugged her shoulders like it’s my problem. Cheers.

If she’s telling the truth, then that’s annoying. If she’s fibbing, then that’s really annoying.

Anyone else had a fence that looked like it was the neighbours and was only fixable via their land?

geoffj

*STW standard answer*
    If you want a working fence, put one on your land.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

May I be the 1st to suggest….

geoffj
    pictonroad

Not actually answering your question but this is STW so…

I’ve no idea who owns the fences around our house, we have 8 adjoining neighbours… I offer to go halves on all essential repairs, (usually means, I do the work, they buy the timber) it seems to keep the peace and is probably worth it in the long run for avoidance of aggravation and parcel keeping/cat feeding favours.

nickjb
    Free Member

Refit the panels on the other side of the posts. 4″ more garden. 8)

Rule of thumb is that you own up to the good face but not always.

Harry_the_Spider

Put up a new fence 1cm over your boundary with an enormous cock ‘n’ balls painted on her side of it.

That’ll learn her.

molgrips
    Free Member

The example land reg page only shows the boundary – am I likely to find ‘boundary features’ on it, given we bought from the builder…?

jam-bo

If it’s your side of the boundary, then it’s yours, regardless of who put it up.

I own all the fences around my garden as I put them up just inside my boundary.

dknwhy

Isn’t fence ownership normally marked with a T along the boundary on the land registry map?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never seen anything on the land registry and I do look at a lot of title plans. There isn’t a marking and nowhere near enough resolution. If it’s anywhere it’ll be mentioned in the deeds.

geoffj

The example land reg page only shows the boundary – am I likely to find ‘boundary features’ on it, given we bought from the builder…?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Check your own deeds. She may be bullshitting you.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Ownership would be in your deeds?

Were having our garden done in a few weeks..neighbour owns the (disgrace of a) fence that’s going to be replaced (but doesn’t wasn’t to pay for it). So as others have said, we’ll erreect our new fence a few inches within our boundary (leaving his shitty old one in place) so we have full ownership of new fence…seems easieat that way…

Daffy

My neighbours fence has the posts on my side of the fence.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Had this last yr, old fence that was rotten and covered with a clematis from my garden blew down. It was on the neighbouring property so i spoke to the landlord and offered to go halves. He decided it was actually my fence even though the boundary is a row of upright flagstones and the fence was on his side of that. I had a new fence put up on my property and simply left the wreckage of his fence lying on his land. Fortunately the storm had blown it onto his property.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems impossible that you owned something on his land. Did he charge rent?

scaredypants

molgrips – plant a big ****-off leylandii and be done with it 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bugger was just trying it on, he’s a landlord with no interest in maintaining the property-you should see the state of the back yard!
    I offered to go halves as it was the fair thing to do, he wanted to play games and having just had my garden remodelled and wanting to use it i decided i’d just get it done.
    Now have a nice new fence on my side of the boundary stones but it did cost me £700

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s in your deeds. In my last house I owned the fence to one side and in my current house they’re all shared, which is a pain. Two posts on my rear fence have gone but I’m going to bite the bullet and do it myself the fence backs onto the house behind us detached garage so only we can see it and I can’t be bothered having the debate with the neighbours.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Dust off and nuke them from orbit, only way to be sure.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Previous owner put up a new fence within a falling down wall all facing inwards. So it’s all my fence and all my responsibility.

angeldust
    Free Member

Also wondering why she just sat there looking at it blowing around and didn’t bother to pop round and mention it FFS. Especially if she thought about it, went to the trouble of finding out who owns it and that it wasn’t obvious. Even though I’d offered to help out of the blue she didn’t reciprocate in any way, just shrugged her shoulders like it’s my problem. Cheers

Assuming she is telling the truth, this could also just be interpreted as her finding out if it was her responsibility, and when finding out that is wasn’t, not wanting to be pushy about fixing a post that does not belong to her.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Petrol, lots of petrol.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Good fencing makes good neighbours

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘My first boundary dispute – fences’ is closed to new replies.