Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • My first bib tights
  • richardkennerley

Looking at getting some bib tights for wearing under baggies on short, winter evening rides.

Not wanting to spend too much so I’m looking at Alpkit thicky and dhb thermal from wiggle (both £40-£45.)

As sizes are a bit general (S,M,L etc) I’m a bit unsure they’ll suit. I need a small as I’m a 30″ waist, but I’m 6’3 so got long legs.

Any tall, thin people got any recommendations? Don’t want them to look like 3/4 cropped leggings!!

superstu
    Free Member

Do you want full length bins or just thigh length?
    I have some Altria which fit me perfectly, Medium I think, and am the same height and waist as you.

Howies s/m fit poorly for me (waist ok but too not long enough and too short in the leg by several inches – their 3/4 length Is on my knee only

fifeandy
    Free Member

Going to have trouble getting something that’ll fit 30″ waist and 6’3 (likely short in both the legs and the straps). May work better for you with some thick leg warmers?

richardkennerley

Full length tights. On cold mtb rides i wear baggies, knee pads and snowboard socks, so my legs are totally covered and kept warm. I’ll look a bit of a kn0bhead like that on road rides on the flat lanes of the Fylde Coast!

superstu
    Free Member

I got some tights but not bibs. As others have said it’s tough to get the length with waist your size. DHB saw me right.

lunge

I’m not a million miles from you in size (6’4″, 33″ waist) and find large in most brands is the best compromise. Occasionally they’ll be a touch too baggy or too short but generally they’re ok, a lot depends on the material and how stretchy it is. If you order from wiggle get a couple of sizes and use the free returns.

sb88
    Free Member

I’ve tried mediums from Alpkit in bib shorts (summer models, not the thickys) and they were too tight on the quad. Felt like the leg hole seam was going to split. I’m slim 5 ft 8 30 inch waist…

MrSmith
    Free Member

As sizes are a bit general (S,M,L etc) I’m a bit unsure they’ll suit. I need a small as I’m a 30″ waist, but I’m 6’3 so got long legs.

29/30 waist and 6ft2 here. Just about all my Lycra bibs/shorts/longs/3/4‘s are a medium apart from some gore biblongs which are small and fit fine apart from being about 4in too long in the leg?!
    Small shorts usually end up too tight roundd the leg. These are ‘euro’ brands like le-col, castelli, gore, exte-ondo, santini, giordana and Rapha. Sizing for uk non-roadie brands might be a bit bigger.

mattbee

32″ waist 34″ inside leg here & I find most bibs are a bit short or a bit baggy. Got a couple of pairs of PX ones that have particularly long legs for the size so a L fits me on the leg without being ‘too’ baggy.
    I tend to just use leg warmers with bib shorts now though.

TiRed

3/4 are actually much more practical than full length bibs. When it’s cold I wear long wool socks, when it’s not, I wear shorter socks. Prefer them to full length bib tights. But you are probably a medium rather than a large.

matt_outandabout

I am after some 3/4 ones, for the more tubby *ahem* big boned 6′ tall person. Suggestions?

dantsw13

I use the PX 365X 3/4 bibs both Road & under baggies. Great pair of cheapies. Get the red/black as the fluro ones have Fluoro stitching too 😯

allfankledup

MattOAB – DHB Roubaix 3/4 from Wiggle. For those gents who may exceed the weight limits of some components…

matt_outandabout

I’m not fat. Just burly.

sillysilly
    Free Member

These may work if most of your height is in the legs: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/skins-mens-dnamic-bib-1-2-tights-ss17/rp-prod152366

Work randomly well / hidden with pads and baggies keeping your legs warm but don’t cover the whole leg.

patagonian
    Free Member

Became a convert to bibs earlier this year. Decathlon are really good as you get the choice of three grades – yes I went there intending to buy cheap and upgraded! The Range also do dhb at a really good price.
    I’m 6′ 1″ and 34 waist, 33 leg – always have to go XL to get a decent fit that doesn’t cut me in half.

Shred
    Free Member

I can’t find bib tights that fit. I’m a 32 inch waist, and wear 34inch pants. Most of the time the pad gets pulled away from my butt so ends up uncomfortable. If I pull them up, they are too short and the shaped legs around the knee doesn’t work.

I now use leg warmers with winter big shorts. I also got some Gore universal leg warmers which are wind proof so on really cold days my legs are fine.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Like Shred I wear leg warmers under baggies even though I have bibs for the road. Having a piss with bibs and baggies on would be interesting not to mention dropping the kids off.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘My first bib tights’ is closed to new replies.