• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MADB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My First 30 mile XC ride.
  • MADB
    Free Member

So going to be doing my first 30 mile XC ride on Sunday (for charity don’t you know, this one http://www.suerydercare.org/events.php/635/bronte_big_k_mountain_bike_challenge).
    Any way I only have one bike an 09 Marin rocky ridge, not exactly and light weigh XC bike but what the hell, its a bike. I’ve only ever ridden is about 16 miles before, so 30 is going to be fun or just painful.

As for setting it up for the ride I have a smaller 2” rear tyre to put on it to replace the 2.35 monster and I will put a bit more air in the forks. Do I put the set flat bars I have onto the bike or leave as is?

Any other pearls of wisdom welcome.

Cheers

qwerty
    Free Member

eat, drink & be happy 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Just do it. Pace yourself and enjoy.

Don't worry about the ideal setup!

I will put a bit more air in the forks

Wtf? Why? As above, make sure your bike is well set up at all times, regardless of how far you are riding. Distance doesn't make any differnece unless you are doing ultra-marathons.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just make sure your bike is comfortable. Take it easy. Eat and drink sufficiently.

Oh, and most importantly- enjoy it! 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just pedal a gear or so lower than what you do on shorter rides. Stay in your comfort zone and eat & drink frequently. You'll be amazed how easy it is to cover more ground than you're used to. Enjoy!

flyingmonkeycorps

Don't change too much if your bike is comfortable as it is, last thing you want to do is make it less so. Take lots of food and drink.

7hz
    Free Member

Don't change a bunch of things thinking you'll make the bike 'better', it's too late for that now anyway, you should do that before the longer ride so you can test things.

Keep the tyres / suspension / bars you know.

Time in the saddle is more important, but you need to do that for a good month I'd say. If you have been riding 16 miles twice a week, with some shorter rides as well, you should be ok. If you only ride once every other weekend, you'll probably get a sore arse.

Most import thing is proper padded lycra cycling shorts / undershorts. Next is a big bowl of porridge the morning of the ride. Next is plenty of water in a camelback for the ride, and energy food.

30 miles isn't too hard, just take it steady.

speaker2animals

2 slugs out of the camelbak every ten minutes. Half a muselli bar every 30 minutes. Take a gel or two and if you start to feel crap especially in last hour knock em back. Don't not eat and then think a gel in the last hour will save you. It'll last you about 20 minutes before you start to feel drained again.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Its going to be a bit busy with MTBers in that nick-o-the-woods this Sunday.

DaveyBoyWonder's Forum ride, the Mary Townley event and now Bronte Big K are all going to be in the vacinity of Widdop.
    Don't follow the wrong group of riders or you'll end up doing a VERY big K. 😆

I don't think 30 miles will kill you. Don't bother changing stuff on your bike, as they've all said, take it easy and you'll be fine.

MADB
    Free Member

Ecky-Thump, thanks for that info could come in very handy.

I do short 7-8 miles runs 3 time a week and then get out for 10-16 mile run every other weekend, so I should be OK.

Cheers all and thanks for the encouragement.

avdave2

I do short 7-8 miles runs 3 time a week and then get out for 10-16 mile run every other weekend, so I should be OK.

You should have no problems at all then. I do 6 miles each way off road to work and occasionally extend it further. I'm often working away so can go a week to 10 days without getting any riding at all and I managed a 35 mile ride at the weekend without too much trouble though the 3rd lap was definitely harder than the 1st. I'm trying to build up my stamina for trying the SDW in a day next year so I'm just gradually upping the times around a local loop.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the bike, I'm managing on a 30lb plus hardtail which is nearly a quarter of my weight!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i found going from 20 miles to 30 miles easy.

going from 30 miles to 40 miles is a bit more difficult though! One day ill crack 50 and then maybe onto SDW 100.

taka
    Free Member

there's a big uphill from the start coming out from Oxenhope which separates the keen riders from the casual riders 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Something in the way of vaseline to keep your ar5e from any nastiness. You're looking at a fair old time in the saddle. 😆

Pace yourself and enjoy.

MADB
    Free Member

Well it was a bloody wet and muddy 30 miles and some very hard climes, but I managed it in 3 ½ hours. I’m happy with that time for a first attempt and I enjoyed it so much I think I’m going to do some more like it.
    Now for some training, there are some very nice 10 -15 mile loops that I can start from my house, so going to start doing some training runs to improve fitness and endurance.

If any one has any pictures from the Bronte Big K last Sunday, it would great if you could send me a copy.

Cheers Brian.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My First 30 mile XC ride.’ is closed to new replies.