Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • My First 29er
  • glen815
    Free Member

New 29er by glen815, on Flickr

Commencal Meta AM1
    Fox Float 34 RLC 140
    Fox RP2 Boost Valve rear shock (with air volume spacer)
    SRAM XO Drive Chain
    Stinger Chain Device
    Hope X2 Brakes
    Hope Bash Guard
    Hope Headset
    Thomson Elite X4 Stem
    Thomson Alloy Downhill Bars
    Hope Pro 2 Evos with Stans Flow Ex
    Fizik Tundra 2 Sadle
    Shimano XT Trail Pedals

Little disappointed with rear tyre clearance as the short chain stays only just take a Nobby Nick 2.25.
    Internal cables sound proofed using catapult elastic tubing.
    Maiden outing tomorrow, will advise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its a good effort but that potted plant and distracting bike is not fooling anyone as to the true state of the lawn

glen815
    Free Member

I think the potted plant is actually covering an unsightly manhole cover, but I will mention it to the chao that does the gardening. 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Bike looks nice though.. 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Bar ends on a full susser 😯

andypaul99
    Free Member

nice looker indeed, me jealous!

parkesie
    Free Member

That looks fun but the bar ends 😯

weeksy

Yummy!

glen815
    Free Member

Maiden ride complete (60k XC) and first impressions are good. Definitely smoother over the course gravel and hardpack and as a result faster. I was aware of the size for the first few minutes but it was never an issue and the bike felt lively and responsive The 2 x 10 drive chain worked well and was extremely quiet as was the bike in general meaning that the modifications to the internal cable/hose routing worked.
    As for the comments about the bar ends and full suspension, I fail to see what the suspension has to do with fitting bar ends. I could understand if the comments refered to the intended use of the bike but not to the fact that it had full suspension. The bar ends are in fact a new addition to my bikes to try and give me alternate hand positions on longer rides (80 – 100k three times a week) and I would not contemplate keeping them on when visiting the forest or other more technical trails. However, the first ride with the bar ends showed promise and after some minor tweaks to the angle, should prove a worthwhile addition.
    In brief, some of the hype about bigger wheels has some elements of truth to it and I fully recommend having a dabble with the different wheel sizes.

rp16v
    Free Member

I had my first 29er tester today on a Avanti hardtail damb those bikes are sexy but it just felt like it always wanted to tuck the front wheel under the frame and send me over the bars definatley looking at taking one on a full test day

tony24
    Free Member

rp16v that’s very strange you say it made you feel like the front wheel wanted to tuck under as its the complete opposite I feel when on a 29er. This is due to the sheer amount of tyre in front of you. when I ride a 26″ bike I feel like the front wheels so far away and I am perched on top of the frame.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘My First 29er’ is closed to new replies.