Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My first 100 (and 4!) miles :)
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

So chuffed – have never ridden that far before. Real sense of achievement, especially as I was riding solo – even though yes, I had gears, was on the road, and travelling through the relative flatlands of the east of England – but I was hauling a couple of heavy panniers, including wine for extra weight resistance!

Thought I might find the route a bit boring – was aiming to ride from my sister’s in rural Bedfordshire to my brother’s in the depths of Norfolk – but it was mostly great – a real slice of quintisential English countryside. Cornfields and poppies, bunnies and birds (including a couple of red kites), rivers, pinewoods and heathlands. Loved the chocolate box villages and seeing how the local building materials changed from stone to flint to timber, lots of windmills, and a diversion to admire the stunning Ely cathedral.

Probably wouldn’t choose to ride through the fens again – never ending straight flats roads through potato fields with no sign of life, and could have done without the car of teenagers who repeated tried to run me off the road, but otherwise it was a fantastic day 🙂

Legs are ok, but my bum is definately feeling the effects and I don’t want to sit on a saddle for a wee while! Have eaten a mountain of food, helped by my brother cooking a massive veggie meal for me and ‘making me’ drink lots of wine to celebrate!

Now, where to for the next 100 … 🙂

Dickyboy

Brilliant sounds like you had a reet lovely day too 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice one, are you going to ride back? If so, thats your next 100.

But if you find the flats a bit boring, then the next one has to be The Fred Whitton challenge.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice, that’s a classic touring route. Even nicer if you meander through the villages.

hurtduck
    Free Member

Well done Sue, that’s a huge distance, especially laden with heavy panniers and wine!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Excellent, well done.

Lost my ton virginity a few weeks ago. Good feeling isn’t it. 😀

binners

well done you! I like your style. Carrying wine with you? Whats the worst that can happen when you’ve got a bottle of wine with you 😉

Stuey01
    Free Member

Bravo, well done.

radoggair
    Free Member

Very well done, and potentially a 2nd very well done on starting possibly the 1st ever thread on STW where the OP gets praised 100%, although time will tell 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

All your names are going in my book as followers of the real 100. I want to see the end of 62 miles being call a ‘100’, an opinion that didn’t go down well on Road.cc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My first 100 (and 4!) miles :)’ is closed to new replies.