Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • My feet are bleeding!
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

I have recently started a new job and I’m on my feet for over 10 hours a day, my feet are ruined. Has anyone got any suggestions for floaty soft pillowy lovelyness for my feet?
    I’m going comfort over style and they have to be black and smart.
    I know Clarks do a cushion sole and ecco claim to be the comfiest in the world but anything else I should be looking for?

I will of course be trying loads on but the thought of walking around on my day off looking for comfy shoes isn’t that appealing so I’m looking for a head start.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sole softec response insoles.. custom insoles which you warm up and mold to your feet. Ebay is usually cheapest

creagbhan

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ski
    Free Member

I have to walk between 14-16 miles daily, on my factory works shifts. Over the years I have tried most types of work shoes on offer. But I always end up coming back to Dr Marten’s. They might take a while to bed in, but once you get over that breaking in time, they are amazing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Dr Martens

bigblackshed

+2 Dr Martens.

Although all of the nurses and porters were wearing Crocs when I was in hospital last week. They’re not smart, but you did say comfort over style. 😉

bruneep

what has your employer said about your feet?

daftvader
    Free Member

having been a postie for the last 11 years i have done a few miles! it depend what the job is and what the footwear policy is (as in how flexible they are). i have tried all sorts of shoes, boots and trainers supplied by royal mail and none of them worked for me (especially as i suffer with plantar facitis{sp?} ) i ended up in the winter with a pair of waterproof fabric walking boots (could you use magnums?) and in the summer supportive running shoes. however with your needs i would echo the DM route, though it takes for ever to break in or one that i have found great is CAT boots, comfy from the off and lasted really well. hth.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thanks, I don’t know if I’ll survive the break in time of DM’s but I’ll keep them in mind. I think as long as they are black and not trainers I could get away with them so the magnums may be worth looking into as well.
    Cat boots used to be the only thing to be seen in at school, I can’t remember if they were comfy or not though.

what has your employer said about your feet?

Get some comfy shoes!

daftvader
    Free Member

try sportsshoes.com linky…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Would Sorbothane insoles help?

Sui
    Free Member

Adidas gsg9 are ludicrously comfortable. They’re smartish but possibly get a bit warm.. Also brilliant if up want to pretend to be a ninja..

PiknMix
    Free Member

Would Sorbothane insoles help?

Nothing would help my current shoes, hence i’m going to just buy a new pair for work.

CheesybeanZ

What do the other Traffic Wardens wear ?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What do the other Traffic Wardens wear ?

Something with no sole and a thick upper skin…

bruneep

Why doesn’t your employer pay for suitable footwear? If you are on your feet for hrs on end your employer has duty of care.

RustySpanner

Tried all sorts – Inov8 are superb but expensive.

Vans work well for me, as do Adidas Murano running shoes.
    Can get both in black.

Keep a pair of Crocs at work as spares.

As to smart, Clark’s every time.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Why doesn’t your employer pay for suitable footwear? If you are on your feet for hrs on end your employer has duty of care.

I get enough benefits at work and am very well looked after, I think I can sort my footwear issue out myself.

daftvader
    Free Member

I get enough benefits at work and am very well looked after, I think I can sort my footwear issue out myself.

thats as may be but if they provide footwear they should have a policy to cover part of the cost of buying your own, if you can prove theirs are unsuitable for you. i know that royal mail do even tho its only £30

Drac

It’s not about benefits like Bruneep says it’s about Duty of Care, benefits is just nice things to have.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m sure if I investigated it they probably would help with a payment, but it’s a pair of shoes that I want to buy so I will pay for them.

nickdavies

If we’re talking leather shoes buy 2 pairs and rotate. Better for the shoes and your feet.

I’ve found clarks slightly more expensive models about the best for cheapish comfort but they don’t last very long. The ones with the air core soles and the soft bits round the outside of the hole. Not found anything as nice to spend all day in and I’ve been through plenty over the years, currently thinking of going for a couple of pairs of decent shoes but I dread the thought of a £300 pair of shoes that’s not as nice to wear as a £80 pair of clarks!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Le chameau boots for long walks very pricey but still serving me well 4 years on as walking boots. Vans trainers are pretty good and available in black but they don’t offer a safety version.

sbob
    Free Member

I often work 12+hrs on my feet and wear Timberland Chelsea boots.
    Not cheap, but the comfiest I’ve found. Much better than Clarkes and they are comfy from day one, unlike DMs (which I wore out very quickly).

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d have a look at the type of socks you are wearing as well.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Rocker soles will do it. They saved me from hell on earth. Look and feel weird at first, are expensive, but will take all the pressure off the metatarsals, make you feel invincibly tall and able to walk for hrs, plus keep your posture awesome. Indescribably comfortable, IME.

Notable rocker-soled shoe brands:

MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) I used these but you have to keep the sensor dry so indoors only
    Skechers shape-ups
    Clarks Wave Walk (still a rocker-sole but not so pronounced as above)
    Ryn. (Difficult to source in UK but arguably harder wearing. Bought a size too small in width, gutted but marveled at the quality of construction.

Have also had some success with Clarks Comfort Cell but think are discontinued.

PS beware, there are plenty of fake/imitation MBTs doing the rounds on Ebay etc. Recommend looking up a stockist and go for a fitting/trial in-store if you go down that route.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

PPS may be worth going to see podiatrist. Just had some custom insoles, wish had gone private years ago would have saved me a fortune in footwear trial and error. Neuromas diagnosed so now have custom orthotic inserts to relieve pressure and correct gait. Also – gastrocnemius stretching exercises help massively. Pod said many problems can be relieved simply by having correct width shoe (many people presenting with foot pain have too-narrow shoes), and by regularly stretching calf muscles.

Hope you get it sorted!

spooky_b329

Haha…mine supply safety boots that are on the catalogue at £12.

They rarely last six months, often the sides are too long so won’t lace up snugly, or the tongue bulks up under the laces or slips sideways, or the insole comes loose within days. If I am lucky enough to get a comfortable pair, various failure modes have been split soles, toe bumper worn through to metal toecap (safety no no) sole separates/splits or the leather splits and you have wet feet all day. The last pair had some silly clutch/strain relief on the top lace eyelet, which means the laces are released about once per hour when you kneel down, and then you have to re-lace the top eyelet before tieing them again. Oh, and laces that are six inches too long seem to be a favourite too.

I do find a nice wide leather ankle boot are the most comfy though, with a half decent sock.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some more good ideas thanks.

What socks should I be wearing?

Superficial
    Free Member

Rule #5?

Scapegoat

If your budget can withstand them, try some Lowa boots. Patrol if you don’t need Goretex, or Mountain GTX if you do. They don’t take any breaking in time at all, and have a walking designed sole. There’s a very good reason why a significant number of cops wear them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Pik n Mix – Member
    Some more good ideas thanks.

What socks should I be wearing?Dunno, I don’t have any recommendations really, as I don’t buy any makes or anything. I just know that if I wear thin socks they tear my feet apart when I walk any type of distance, I need to make sure i wear thick wollen socks. The actual shoes doesn’t matter all that much. (within reason.)

daftvader
    Free Member

a sock combo that has worked well for me over the years is a pair of bamboo socks with a normal cotton pair over the top in the summer and thicker wool ones in the winter (decathlon cheepy walking socks are actually as good as my bridgedales)

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s particularly cottons sock I really have a problem with.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘My feet are bleeding!’ is closed to new replies.