Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My Europe/UK Downhill Trip
  • nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

Hey all,

I was referred here from another bike forum a few months ago when I started planning my huge bike trip. I will be in the UK from mid August until mid November. I have used the trail info on the website to help setup my trip, and I really appreciate the info. I started a blog and it includes my itinerary, http://nfmountainbiker1.blogspot.com/ if you want to follow, comment, or maybe even meet up for a ride, that would be great. If any of you live near or will be at any of the places around the same time as me, let me know. I’m always up for riding with new people. If there are any trails that you think I have to go to, let me know that too. Thanks all!

Mackem

You should try Spain out too.

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

I am thinking of going to Spain during November, good idea or bad idea? I don’t know how the weather is during the winter. I also want to go to Andorra.

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

Do any of you know of any cheap (but still safe for me and my bike) places to stay at that are in or near some of the places I mentioned in my blog in the UK? I am a recent college graduate, and am trying not to spend too much money.

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

Anyone have experience at Dunkeld and/or Falkland?

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

I have a question for some of you guys. Do you know of the cheapest way for me and my bike to get to Scotland? Specifically Glasgow because I have a friend who lives there, but any city within an hour from there is fine too. I’ve done some searching online, and am thinking a ferry might be the best way. Got any recommendations? I am in Germany, so getting to Belgium, France, Netherlands, or even Denmark wouldn’t be too much trouble. Thanks!

ricardo666
    Free Member

nf mountain biker you should have a look at virgin trains if you can book couple of months in advance your tix will be alot cheaper

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

thank you! Unfortunately it will be for 2 weeks from now. I hope it isn’t too expensive…

RustyMac

Have a look at East Coast trains – they do a sleeper train from London to Edinburgh then it would only be an hour on a second train to Glasgow, they often have offers on early booking up untill 2 weeks before traveling. Also if you are under 25 concider getting a young persons rail card http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/online . The rail companies web sites will show you the discount you get by saying you have one so you should be able to tell if it will be a worth while purchase (save more money by buying one than the original ticket price) it would be valid for a year so if you plan on getting around the uk it could be a very worthwhile purchase.

HTH and you are having a good trip

Rusty Mac

Marge
    Free Member

There used to be a ferry from Zeebrugge to Rosyth that would have been ideal….
    it was run by DFDS / Norfolkline…

neallyman
    Free Member

Hey

Having trouble reading your blog from work but if you need any information re Falkland get in touch, email in profile.

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

Marge, you say there “used” to be a ferry. This actually does have me confused because it is still listed on their website, yet other places on the web say it is no longer in service. Are they just inept at updating their website or does it exist still?

I am currently thinking that a ferry from near Amsterdam to Newcastle, then a train from Newcastle to Glasgow might be the best way. If my friend and another person come, it would cost about 90 each because we could split the costs (i.e. you pay for the room, not per ticket). Anyone with experience taking the ferries know if that is correct or could I buy a single ticket if my friends do not go?

nfmountainbiker1
    Free Member

well, it looks like the cheapest option is actually flying into Glasgow from Basel, Switzerland. Thanks for all of your help! I will update this thread once I get to Scotland, and maybe some of you guys would like to show me some trails?

legend
    Free Member

Anyone have experience at Dunkeld and/or Falkland?

Dunkeld’s really good. Got a couple (is the second trail still open actually?) of nice technical trails. £20 a day for uplift isn’t bad either.

Only been to Falkland a couple of times. Has some good riding too, especially if you like north shore and going fairly big! No uplift though, just your own leg power to get to the top

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My Europe/UK Downhill Trip’ is closed to new replies.