Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • FFS!! – My employer requires proof I’m not an Illegal Immigrant!
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

Having your passport / birth certificate photocopied is no big problem surely?

Surely it would be up to the authorities to prove that as an employee of a particular company that I didn’t have the right to work in the UK.

Listen to me with my “presumption of innocense” what am I loke…

robdob
    Free Member

Maybe you are a passport forger, who is now trying to cover their tracks with a simple STW subterfuge.

I’m calling the rozzers!!!

Sandwich

Show the passport, but no copies. Cite data protection and is their database registered with the commissioner. I will show my passport/driving licence and other docs but there is no requirement to photocopy them the organisation needs to note they have seen them and maybe a note of the reference number.
    Hands up all those who recycle their credit card statements without shredding them. The price of your liberty is eternal vigilance by you not the state or any other commercial organisation.

Anna-B
    Free Member

” After months of careful planning, Miss Banana finally chose an eclectic forum full of random mountain bikers to out herself as an expert counterfeiter, and then deny it and then change her mind and finally question her own sanity”

I think you might be right robdob.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Firestarter- email sent, ya Bulb-End! 🙂

BTW, Poddy can probbly kick most people on here’s arses on a bike. Even though he is partial to a spot of cake occasionally.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Poddy can probbly kick most people on here’s arses on a bike.

Only off vertical drops.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Show the passport, but no copies. Cite data protection and is their database registered with the commissioner. I will show my passport/driving licence and other docs but there is no requirement to photocopy them the

And if further down the line your employee is found to be illegal and their passport and visa have mysteriously disappeared, all you’ve got for defence as an employer is your own hand written notes.

Get outa here you’d be **** and £5000 lighter.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

BTW, Home office guide lines stipulate that as an employer you should take a photocopy or scan the passport / documents.

Page 5 step 3 of the Home Office 2004 Guidance For UK Employers on the Law on Preventing Illegal Working, if you care to look.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Kingtut, that’s the best bit of info so far, thanks
    🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You’re welcome.

clubber
    Free Member

Well PP is quite welcoming…

MrAgreeable

PP, if you’re worried about your employer having a photocopy of your passport, look at this this way – they already have your address, your NI number, your bank details, and probably a load of other info that could be misused if it got into the wrong hands. I don’t think a photocopy of a passport would be much use to a forger, any more than a photocopy of a bank note.

hora
    Free Member

Juan do you speak like you type? It bends (read hurts) my mind 😕

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

out of interest, are they asking ‘every’ employee to prove their citizenship?

robdob
    Free Member

I must admit, PP did impress me at the weekend. I could still have him on the downhills I think. He’s got skills, and fitness, but I have a brain dead logic that says “what’s the worst that could happen?”.

Sandwich

They’re guidelines not the law, a reference number will be more than adequate. Passport and immigration will have records to back that up, if they can’t match a number to a citizen subject then what chance have the rest of us got?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They’re guidelines not the law, a reference number will be more than adequate. Passport and immigration will have records to back that up

Yes it guidelines against getting fined.

So you write down a fake number from a fake passport or visa that will probably ‘disappear’ at a later date so it can’t be produced and you think that is going to be a good defence against prosecution?

Don’t be daft.

As far as I’m concerned any prospective candidates that refuse to have their passport or birth certificate copied, they are shown the door simple as.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Home office guide lines stipulate that as an employer you should take a photocopy or scan the passport / documents.

that’s as maybe, but if you want to employ me you’ll have to think of something else 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

that’s as maybe, but if you want to employ me you’ll have to think of something else

Yes, like employing someone else.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

out of interest, are they asking ‘every’ employee to prove their citizenship?

As far as I know, yes…. I reckon for some people providing the correct documents could be very hard: In the building trade there are some, err how shall we say, “thick” (?) people around who won’t have passports and simply throw all official stuff straight in the bin.

I must admit, PP did impress me at the weekend. I could still have him on the downhills I think. He’s got skills, and fitness, but I have a brain dead logic that says “what’s the worst that could happen?”.

You forget one detail – I’m under a “Don’t break yourself because you’re getting married next week” curfew, which results in a 10-15% reduction in downhilling speeds, plus we both kept getting stuck in the traffic a bit down off Helvellyn, didn’t we?

😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what happens if you don’t HAVE a passport?

Yes, like employing someone else.

fine by me 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

what happens if you don’t HAVE a passport?

A full birth certificate is fine, if you don’t have one they can be obtained very easily from the registry office in the area you were born in.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What if, like Simon, the town you were born in dosn’t want to be held responsible for you, and claims they have no record of your birth in the town?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and claims they have no record of your birth in the town?

I’ll just have to become part of the black economy :o)

wwaswas

my gran couldn’t get a birth certificate.

all her records were destoryed in either the first or second world wars (some in each).

she never went abroad as she was worried the authorities would declare her an illegal immigrant (despite the fact she coudl remember zepplins bombing her street in London).

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like she won’t be getting a job in a quarry any time soon wwaswas.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sounds like she won’t be getting a job in a quarry any time soon wwaswas.

Au contraire! She’d be cheaper than PP, and could just smile sweetly and point her ear trumpet at the drivers :o)

CountZero

LOL at Miss Banana. I must admit that I would be more than a little astonished to be asked to provide info like that, for a company I’ve worked for for four years.

zaskar
    Free Member

Wait till he gets married-the vicar and his wife to be will check his passport! 😆

jester
    Free Member

A guy in our team at work was sacked for being an illegal imigrant. He had lived in the UK for 30 years. He stayed on after leaving the US air force.

Interestingly enough he hasn’t been deported.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so if he’s not allowed to work has he become a burglar ?

zaskar
    Free Member

Thats Crazy?!

jester
    Free Member

professional gambler I think!

user-removed
    Free Member

There’s been talk of an amnesty for long term illegal immigrants hasn’t there?

nukeproof
    Free Member

Can’t imagine a US citizen who’s been here for 30 years and, presumably, without a criminal record is going to be on top of the priority list for removals. Guessing it could also be assumed he has established a family and private life in that time as well.

jester
    Free Member

No family here, he said he was staying here to avoid his family in the states ?

andy_hamgreen

ha ha Mr KINGTUT sounds like you really ARE an HR person – you have the right tone….I noticed the change over the years as it changed from ‘Personnel’ to ‘Human Resources’…

Actually this was recently brought in where I work and enough of us complained about having our papers copied and stored with some dodgy 3rd party solicitors that it transpired that it just required the local Party Commissar – sorry HR officer – to check out papers were ‘in order’ and for us to sign a letter to explain why we wouldn’t comply.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Strictly speaking, presenting a photocopy does NOT prove the documents have been adequately examined. You could just take the copy and file it without further involvement. It should be sufficient to have a signature saying, “I attest that I have examined the document and believe it to be genuine”

KINGTUT
    Free Member

ha ha Mr KINGTUT sounds like you really ARE an HR person – you have the right tone….I noticed the change over the years as it changed from ‘Personnel’ to ‘Human Resources’…

I’m in recruitment, I own my own agency and I employ a lot of foreign labour.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Strictly speaking, presenting a photocopy does NOT prove the documents have been adequately examined. You could just take the copy and file it without further involvement. It should be sufficient to have a signature saying, “I attest that I have examined the document and believe it to be genuine”

It’s all about defence, taking photocopies of the documents is enough to provide a defence as far as the Home office/ Department of Immigration are concerned, take a photocopy or face a £5000 fine? It’s a no brainer.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘FFS!! – My employer requires proof I’m not an Illegal Immigrant!’ is closed to new replies.