Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • My dream is Turner…
  • organic355
    Free Member

can someone close this thread.

I have a DW flux (26’er) and and now lusting after 5 -spot or a burner.

Nobby

It’s likely to be my last ever MTB (honest) and is my dream bike, yet might replace an ASR5

I might be interested in the ASR5 if you do decide to change it.

Out of interest, have you ridden any of the Turners? I only ask because I was sorely disappointed with how the DW Link made the Flux feel – very dead/dull compared with the Yeti.

organic355
    Free Member

Out of interest, have you ridden any of the Turners? I only ask because I was sorely disappointed with how the DW Link made the Flux feel – very dead/dull compared with the Yeti.

Really? mine feels awesome. But not ridden a yeti.

Nobby

Really? mine feels awesome

It may just be me – I didn’t like the Blur either & most folk rave about them. In fact, when I bought my ASR I had intended to get a carbon Blur but rode a few bikes on a demo day, then a few more, then even more but ended up going for the Yeti as it was the only one that felt right for me.

That’s not to say everything else I tried was bad, they just didn’t suit my kind of riding mincing.

solarider
    Free Member

I have a Sultan and bloody love it. But I am 6ft 2, and somehow over time, we seem to have lost the original selling point of big wheels.

They were originally aimed at taller riders. I see some smaller 29er frames and think they are missing the point. Similarly, I see some taller riders on 26’ers and think they look like a clown bike.

Not sure why we don’t look at it this way in a more horses for courses approach:

Small rider – 26’er (5 Spot)
    Medium rider – 27.5’er (Burner)
    Tall rider – 29’er (Sultan)

Whatever species, you can’t go wrong with a Turner, so scratch that itch! Well built, great ride, great support, and plastic with a made in Taiwan tag attached. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I like to support the small guy (who should be riding a 26’er of course!).

MussEd
    Free Member

and plastic with a made in Taiwan tag attached. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I like to support the small guy

Did you miss out #not# between “and plastic” there?

solarider
    Free Member

Yes, well spotted. Although if you fancy something from Turner that is also plastic and made in Taiwan, there is always the Czar!

davosaurusrex

Isn’t the carbon Czar made in Taiwan?

mattjg
    Free Member

That looks the onzadog bolx.

aww come on let’s call a spade a spade – the Burner a pretty bike is not.

It would still be my first choice if I had the dosh, but not for its aesthetics.

Kryton57

Nobby – Member
    It’s likely to be my last ever MTB (honest) and is my dream bike, yet might replace an ASR5
    I might be interested in the ASR5 if you do decide to change it.

This is my next step. I’ve decided on the new Flux which’ll suit me but need to test one for a good period of time. As discussed before, I rode a pivot Mach4 and felt the same as you – the rear felt dead, it does’t feel like it moves as much as the Yeti’s single pivot and I do like to feel my bike moving – except when I’m going up the Clif climb 🙂 I’ve always wanted a Turner though, so am hoping that DW hasn’t ruined my dream.

I do love my Yeti though, and can’t help thinking propedal on 3 would be appropriate for the odd event I do, and comes in a far less of a cost!

Any one know of a shop with demo’s somewhere around/near to that London?

Kryton57

FWIW Nobby, and you’ll know what I’m talking about here, being on the Turner needs to have the same “effect” as I felt when I rode the Yeti the first time vs all the other 120mm’s.

Otherwise, its not happening.

solarider
    Free Member

I used to think that the Turner felt dead, but then I realised that it was just the suspension doing its job very well indeed.

I get the decription of a hardtail feeling springy, or dead because the energy absorbed by the rigid stays has a direct impact on the ride.

I also get the description of a full suspension bike feeling wayward or flexy, because flex in the frame or pivots is unwanted when you have suspension.

But for me, the point of a full suspension bike at the back is to feel dead to an extent. It means that it is absorbing the bumps, and that can only be a good thing.

With so much adjustment available at the shock through rebound, compression, pro-pedal etc, it is possible to make any bike design feel pretty much any way you want at the back, from lively to dead.

Maybe I am missing the point as I haven’t ridden a Yeti, and they are very fine bikes, but so much of the feel is governed by the shock set up. You want the frame to be a rigid, stiff platform for the shock to do its work, and react along a glidepath that reacts well to all kinds of bumps.

And in that respect, the Turner works well. It is very stiff where it should be, the pivots are smooth, last ages and are easy to maintain, and the DW link allows for a very nice balance of uphill and downhill sensitivity.

Surely the rest is down to the shock set up? It is interesting that in motorsport, the discussion tends to focus more on the quality and set up of the shocks more than the design of the suspension itself. Even in motocross, perhaps the most closely related discipline to our own.

I would love somebody (Singletrack Magazine are you listening?) to run a comparison test using the same frame, but then using radically different shock set ups, and a mixture of shocks. I wonder how different the same frame would feel with air vs coil, single vs double barrel and with different emphasis of set up.

Maybe it would explode the myth of one bike over another, as in the main we tend to run Fox shocks at the rear, or whatever comes as stock on the bike (Not everybody, I know before somebody running a Monarch or Cane Creek pipes up, but you hopefully get the point!). Maybe we think too much about one frame manufacturer vs another and should consider the shock more – kind of how we do at the front with forks.

Shock set up remains one of the black arts of mountain biking. The impact of one adjustment on another characteristic is much misunderstood.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Just put some 150mm pikes on my Sultan 😆

khani
    Free Member

I love Turners, had mine for ten years (HL 5spot) and its still ace, what solarider says above about shocks is very true,
    I’ve tried loads of different shocks on mine from coils to various air shocks and different tunes and set ups make a vast difference to the ride so if you try one have a good fiddle with the shock..
    I’m waiting for an aluminium Czar with a slightly slacker head angle for 120 forks, when.. If.. It happens, I’m having one, a red one, to match my Betty…

Kryton57

solarider – I think I was asking that question. For the riding I do, the ASR5 is all the bike I need, but perhaps is a bit “long” in travel for events. However, I am not a full time racer, nor do I compete in more than 4-5 events a year, So I’d cope with it.

Hence – I could just dial in the propedal on the yeti to give me a firmer platform in “event mode”, still leave me the option to open it up on a downhill section.

After all, this is what I’d want from the flux – an efficient rear for events (DW link) that’s able to open up and be comfy during a Sunday ride (current linkage based single pivot).

I’m hankering after a Turner obviously, just not discounting the option of waiting and holding on to the ASR5 for a bit…

TBH I probably need to go and ride the Yeti with the propedal on (its never been above setting 1 before) as I suggested and see how it feels.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Go on then.

It’s pretty much the Turner XT built kit with a few tweaks.
    The stem will be a Thomson X4 70mm rather the 90mm supplied (she’s borrowing one of my 70mm ones in the pic).
    Wheels were E13.
    Cranks are RaceFace sixc 165mm
    RaceFace signature bottom braket (which looks and feels much nicer than their bottom brackets of old) and turbine 24/38 rings.

Saddle is an old but comfortable thing, Specialized I think, but everything else is spangly new.

Lovingly built with fantastic attention to detail. O-rings on hoses and cables, vales and logos lined up.

Cracking bikes and I really love that colour. Just worried it would look a bit sad if I got a medium in the same colour.

funkrodent

Have a 2012 Turner Flux, built up with 120mm forks on the front. Have ragged it up and down Jacob’s Ladder, Penmachno, the blacks at Coed-y-Brenin and various Lakes stuff. Imho if the new Flux is even half as capable as the old one it will be more than enough bike for 99% of UK riding!
    As a 6’4″ rider I concur with the comments above regarding wheel size being related to height. There’s a massive difference between big wheels on an XS frame and an XL frame. Got tired of waiting for the Burner and bought a Norco Sight Killer B instead. Lovely bike, have swooped it round Penmachno and descended Snowdon on it and it performed admirably and will be in the Alps with it tomorrow 😀 . Is it better/as good as the Burner? Probably not, but for £1600 I got the full bike for less than the Burner frame (when it eventually arrives in my size). Will almost certainly be in the market at some point for the Sultan though.. 😉
    So, in conclusion, I would say the new Flux looks like the absolute bees knees and if it was up to me I’d probably go for that!

matther01
    Free Member

Actually…just seen the new flux and must admit it looks very nice especially with that curved TT.

But not sure id want just 120mm as im currently running 120/140.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TBH I probably need to go and ride the Yeti with the propedal on (its never been above setting 1 before) as I suggested and see how it feels.

there’s the difference – you don’t bother with propedal on the flux – it depends on whether you think propedal is a ‘hack’ to compensate for poorly performing suspension, or not.

rone

Just built myself a do-everything Turner Czar up. Had a SC Tallboy before (which was a decent bike, but the Turner Czar didn’t exist at the time!).

I’ve had a 5spot and several flux’s (DW & horst) before.

Anyway, the Czar hits the mark for me, and is certainly both a fast stable XC bike whilst having enough zip to make diving through the trees at speed very ’26y’. It will be my all day bike and my endurance bike too. It’s plenty comfortable – maybe tweak the front end position to suit.

Lot of interesting things going on with the geometry here: fairly slack HA (for xc) – short chain stays, top tube not that long either – but a kink in the seat tube extends the cockpit without extending the wheelbase.

The DW is a fantastic platform which manages to be compliant and stiff at the same time. I think it’s in a different league to VPP which tugs too much at the pedals in lower gears.

Had a quick Peak adventure Saturday, and I’ve a 120/95 Talas on the front end which gives you a bit of the trail bike feel when you need it. The tyres I had on were another story and not suitable for the rocky descents.

The GF bought one too.

Cable routing and general build is lovely. Grease ports are in nice places – especially the top ones, which now sit inside the bolt rather than on the top.

Had to bite the bullet on PF30 and 142×12 which are new standards to me. The black one is not painted so it’s a bit like a ‘raw’ carbon and looks very Robocop when built up. Not for fans of glossy shiny frames I’m afraid, this is understated to the extreme. There is satin clear-coat on the frame though.

(As a sort-of-experiment I’m trying XX1 36T up front with shimano 11-36T rear – a go.) So far so good. The 36T is quite close to the swing-arm but so far, no chain drops or issues.

I haven’t weighed – but I expect 25-26 lbs, so plenty light enough – with maybe the wheels being the only fragile element here. It’s certainly lighter than my previous SC build.

Sanny
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone tried running a 29er full sus fork and wheel on a Burner or 5 Spot or similar to do a home made sixty niner?

I have a 140mm Fox 34 languishing unused in a box and a daft notion to get a Burner and do it. So the angle will be a bit slacker than a dedicated 29er but something about it just appeals……. 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone tried running a 29er full sus fork and wheel on a Burner or 5 Spot or similar to do a home made sixty niner?

I have a 140mm Fox 34 languishing unused in a box and a daft notion to get a Burner and do it. So the angle will be a bit slacker than a dedicated 29er but something about it just appeals……. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

Kryton57

So I conducted my experiment on Sunday. Its worth noting my shock has been tuned at my request to “comfort/race”, so my RP23 propedal is less firm than stock. The TfTuned recommendationss for me (12.5st) in “race mode” were 200psi, propedal on “3”. That’d be quite firm.

I rode its at my normal 165psi, pp3.

It has slightly firmer platform at the top of the stroke but I still knew it was moving – I guess as the boost valvle kicks in during mid stroke, and it still bobbed on the climbs a bit. In fact, the opposite to the Pivot I’d ridden – i.e. I knew it was moving and it felt ASR5 like on the descents, ie not much of a full suss loss. The pivot felt like it wasn’t moving when I tested it, yet you could see by the O ring that it had moved.

So now I’m more confused and am wondering if I’m over obsessing about efficiency and the like for racing, when in reality as a typical weekend warrior it’ll make little difference to a result, and indeed no ££££Turner difference at all.

Perhaps listening to TfT and riding at 200psi is what I should try next (gives 5% sag BTW)…

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘My dream is Turner…’ is closed to new replies.