Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • My dream is Turner…
  • Kryton57

So if you were buying one now for general trail, trailcentre use and 24hr events, which would you buy? Flux 27.5, or sultan 29, or a Burner?

It’s likely to be my last ever MTB (honest) and is my dream bike, yet might replace an ASR5, which i am very happy with so has a lot to live up to.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Burner for me. I’ve just built one up for a friend. Very nice.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d buy the Burner though I suspect you’d maybe be a bit overbiked a lot of the time.

oldnpastit

I thought this was going to be about timeless English landscapes.

nuke

Flux 27.5…imo 120mm of travel would be enough for this: general trail, trailcentre use and 24hr events

Personally I want one as I reckon it would be spot on for the Surrey Hills

Simwit

Burner for me. Just priced one up but Silverfish are out of size small in orange and no word of when they’ll get more

mattjg
    Free Member

Personally I want one as I reckon it would be spot on for the Surrey Hills

That’s ironic, I actually want a Burner for when I’m not riding in Surrey. I find a HT does me fine for home rides, tho I’m not into the jumps over Winterfold way.

mattjg
    Free Member

@simwit there are more options for 650b trail bikes popping up all the time. The Kona Process ’14 has caught my eye recently.

remoterob
    Free Member

Would a Czar make an ok trail bike?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’m on a 5 Spot at the moment, so it’d be a Burner for me, but the new Pivot Mach 6 is looking very good too.

jameso

I rode a new 5-spot briefly on familar trails. Impressed. Great suspension, really efficient on climbs and better angles than the old one. Based on that, if I was after a susser now the Burner would be high on the list.

Kryton57

mattjg – Member
    I’d buy the Burner though I suspect you’d maybe be a bit overbiked a lot of the time.

But on the basis I can ride a rigid singlespeed, I’d cope fine with being under biked for a little of the time (the yeti is fitted with a 120mm front end)…

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah I do that too

anything more than rigid singlespeed is overbiked, which is another way of saying the concept is nonsense

Burner’s on my want list at the mo

vondally
    Free Member

Having owned turner HL xce/rfxs/flux and DW flux I have just bought a second hand turner sultan frame (a complete whim and to use up the shed parts 8)), first ride today and in the afterglow of it being a blast on downs and singletrack and very capable on the ups( The sultan reminds me most of my xce in the day) I would say a Sultan for general trail duties and riding but my Rocky mountain element 29er is better for 24hr and races.

I do like 29ers for being stable/faster and generally more comfortable, I sold the DW flux as I did not like the feel of the suspension nor the bike, set up 120mm at the front.

Learnt a lot on air pressure and the sultan feels more progressive in its travel and with 120 mm Fox Talas is nicely balanced.

Finally imho Sultan

Vortexracing

I had my heart set on a Burner when I come to replace my 5 Spot,

but I must admit the 1lbs saving and still having the ability to run 140mm fork on the Flux is getting the more likely choice.

roverpig

It’s not a good time to be buying your last ever MTB I wouldn’t have thought. Nothing against 27.5 or 29 as wheel sizes in theory, but both are new enough that the geometry is likely to evolve a bit more over the next few years I’d have thought. So whatever you buy now you may want to change in a few years, but then I guess that’s always the case.

Oh and if we’re going to have a timeless English landscape, let’s at least make it a Turner 🙂

Kryton57

Good point rover pig. I was just looking at discount 26″ flux frames, thinking the back end would be better than the yeti’s. however, the yeti with medium/ max pro pedal would be firmer for the events…. With the option to be fully bouncy for the downs….

bigdean

A long travel sultan but they dont do one. Keep thinking of replacing my 5spot with a burner but idealy would like more than 140mm rear travel.

Simwit

@mattjg, I realise that there is an ever growing choice out there but the Turner really caught my eye for a n+1 purchase if you know what I mean.

wrecker
    Free Member

No more 5spots or 26 flux’s knocking around cheap?

Kryton57

There’s some flux frames on CRC as long as you are 6’5″…

mattjg
    Free Member

@sim yeah of course, I could go n+10 at the moment

put down the credit card and walk away Matt

dickie
    Free Member

I’ve DW Flux & 5 Spot, so for me I would love to go n-1 to replace both with a 27.5 DW Flux.

Kryton57

Are you selling Dickie?

wrecker
    Free Member

I recently sold my 2011 raw. It was lovely. Brand new revs. Pro2/arch (brand new rims), Thomson, XT 2×10, haven carbons. Went for £1500 I the end.

dickie
    Free Member

@Kryton – which?
    (email in profile)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Simwit, it was a small orange burner I built up this weekend. The friend I built it for it absolutely loving it, best bike she’s ever had.

Simwit

@onzadog – ooh ya wee monkey, was that my frame?

mattjg
    Free Member

What’s gone is gone dood. Pls get a Kona Process 135. And then report back if it’s good.

Simwit

Aargh why won’t my post edit?

It was also meant to ask if you had any pics of the build? I would be very interested to see them.

Simwit

@mattjg, no sorry fella, just doesn’t do it for me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Altitude? Intense Tracer 275?

wrecker
    Free Member

Having owned a 5 spot and a blur LTc, I’d by a solo.
    The spot was good, but the LTc is very special.

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

The new Burner is a blast, but it sounds like the Flux (maybe with a 140mm fork to get the BB up) might be a better choice come race day. Besides, it’s 3/4lb lighter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Simwit, I tried. Uploaded the pic to tiny, generated the url but for some reason, it wouldn’t let me copy that link to paste here. Might be because I’m on a phone rather than a computer.

Fortunately, I’m better at building bikes than I am working computery stuff.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seat post is much lower now and all spacers have been removed from above and below the stem.

matther01
    Free Member

That looks the onzadog bolx.

Any chance of the full spec, onza ( and weight)?

Kryton57

That, is nice….. *want*

Simwit

Damn it that looks good, it’s certainly not dissuading me from wanting one. Was that built using Turners build kit or a custom spec?

thewanderer
    Free Member

If I was choosing between either the Burner, new Flux or Sultan. I would:

– Get the Burner if I wanted to do any lift accessed riding / Alpine riding

– Otherwise I’d get the flux as I think with my riding style, I would prefer the smaller wheels over the Sultan’s 29″ers.

Personally, I won’t be parting with my spot any time soon though, it’s ace.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘My dream is Turner…’ is closed to new replies.