Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • My dog ate a full box of Black Magic…….
  • oxnop
    Free Member

He is a beagle weighing 15kg

He was sick on his own accord within about 30 mins

He is a little restless but otherwise seems ok.

Should we be worried?

MrSparkle

He might leave a calling card in the morning…

donsimon
    Free Member

Why should you be worried? It’s the poor dog that’s going to have the raving shits..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oxnop
    Free Member

He might leave a calling card in the morning…

Already prepared myself for that

Why should you be worried?

The power of Google tells me that dogs die when they eat dark chocolate

nmdbase
    Free Member

mmmm dogs aren’t meant to eat chocolate, it’s poisonous I think.

KonaTC

Note to self…

Early morning bike ride a must LOL

midlifecrashes

I’ve known dogs to nick chocolate all my life, never seen one come to any harm. UberSpaniel Fred would consider that a light snack.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I would give your out of hours Vet a call for advice just now. Can’t hurt to be reassured by an expert.

Also work out how much he ate in g/kg weight and how much do you think he threw up, 1/2, 1/4? It may be useful for the vet to know this.

donsimon
    Free Member

The power of Google tells me that dogs die when they eat dark chocolate

Maybe I should have put a smiley. What does Google say?

mboy
    Free Member

My Dad kindly asked me yesterday that next time I leave any mince pies round his house (for my own personal consumption of course) that I take them out of the metal tray in advance, as his Cocker Spaniel hasn’t worked out that eating sheet metal isn’t a good idea!

Last year he had an £800 vets bill to get her fixed after she ate a tin of dog food that had been opened… Yes, the tin as well! Obviously it wasn’t enough to lick all the meat out of the tin, she thought the tin was edible too!

Seriously… Put the bloody thing down, buy a cat, at least a cat knows what it can eat and what it can’t… 😕

Basil

Dogs do find chocolate poisonous. But the amount needed is stupid large. The big worries are very high solids content choccy, not uk chocolate sweets.
    Last year our Basil figuered out how to open a large tin of Quality Street. The next three days of dog presents which included the wrappers made the garden look very festive!!!!!!!!!!

oxnop
    Free Member

I would give your out of hours Vet a call for advice just now. Can’t hurt to be reassured by an expert.

Last time we did this the dog had chewed up a bottle of toilet duck, we were told to bring the dog in urgently. We saw the vet for 5 mins (we told him we gave the dog milk) he said we had done the right thing and charged us £100 for the trouble.

The box of Black Magic was 500g and I reckon he had spewed most of it up over the mother-in-laws new carpet (bag of sick was heavy 😯 )

I imagine a 500g box would contain c.250g of actual chocolate?

Northwind

How does he smell? Terrible!

oxnop
    Free Member

It was that website that got the mrs really worried

genghispod
    Free Member

When I was a kid my parents’ beagle ate my sister’s birthday cake. Including about 10 candles and the plastic candle holders. Not a crumb was left. Dog was ok but looked very guilty for a few days. My mum had to go to the cake shop and get another cake – they made an extra one with DOG iced on top of it. Dog ate that too.

oxnop
    Free Member

Just spoke to vet (don’t you like how I checked the STW hive rather than a professional)

Vet said he we would have needed around 500g of pure chocolate for it to be life threatening for a dog of his weight and the fact he vomited would help.

She said that we will enjoy picking his presses up for next few days.

phew!

BoardinBob

Chocolate is highly dangerous for dogs. even a tiny amount can kill. not always but it can. please calll the vet.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

My wife is a member of The Chocolate Tasting Club so gets a box of chocs delivered every couple of months (they’re fab by the way, especially the boozy ones). Anyway, I got home one day to find a wrapper in the hallway; further down the hall found the outside cardboard box; into the living room found the main box with one side chewed off. There’s two of each kind in the box, and Sprocket started from one corner and had 3 pairs. He then reached the espresso choc which couldn’t have been to his taste as he only had one and stopped at that and had boaked it all up on the floor in a nice puddle of chocolate sauce. He looked suitably embarrassed and rolled over onto his back when I asked him “was that you?”. He was completely fine, though he’s never tried opening any subsequent deliveries.

Hohum
    Free Member

Glad your dog will be okay.

LMAO @ genghispod and the cake loving dog!

allthepies
    Free Member

Nuclear grade poo awaits….

stucol
    Free Member

Bazookajoe, thats the name i want for my first dog. Just need to stop working so much and get one.

Friends mum got home one day to find the scouts tuck shop stock had been raided. Turned to the dog and asked “Elsa, what have you done ?”

Elsa the Lab promptly regurgitates 200 white chocolate mice !

Lovely.

taxi25
    Free Member

Heard of a Westie thar ate more or less a whole 15lb turkey 😯 the vet said to roll him into a corner and leave him for a couple of days 😀

tron
    Free Member

My sisters dog is that sort of size. It ate a bar of Lindt 70% and it was totally fine…

samuri
    Free Member

By the way, Chocolate is poisonous for humans too but it’s a huge amount they have to eat. Normally dogs can eat quite a lot before it’s life threatening.

Cats only need to eat a small amount but they don’t eat chocolate because they can’t taste sweet stuff.

Now I ask you. Would you trust an animal that doesn’t like chocolate? Exactly. They are satan on this earth.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why should you be worried? It’s the poor dog that’s going to have the raving shits..

epicyclo

samuri – Member
    By the way, Chocolate is poisonous for humans too….

That’s true. I’ve seen some women who have eaten too much chocolate and they’ve swollen right up and can only waddle instead of walking.

Dangerous stuff.

🙂

cheburashka
    Free Member

Dogs are hardy, shouldn’t be too worried esp if he’s sicked most of it back up. Mate of mine knows a chap whose dog drank his chip-pan dry. Had a shiny coat and dodgy tum for a while but no other ill effects.

racefaceec90

didn’t realize that chocolate was poisonous to dogs 😳 but i have this image of your dog (after eating the box of black magic) [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoG1hRBDD_0[/video] 😀 p.s hope your dog is all right by the way 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

different breeds have varying tolerances to chocolate. Our spaniel very nearly died after eating a box of dark chocs. I’d be straight down to the vet if it were my dog.

oxnop
    Free Member

Well that was the worst nights sleep ever.

Spent the night on the sofa with the dog next to me, he has been sick another couple of times and spent most of the night scratching at the door to get out.

In future, when we are at anyone else’s house I’m conducting a full recce of the place to ensure anything remotely edible is out of his reach.

Last time we did this the dog had chewed up a bottle of toilet duck, we were told to bring the dog in urgently. We saw the vet for 5 mins (we told him we gave the dog milk) he said we had done the right thing and charged us £100 for the trouble.

Jeez – what vets do you use? That would have cost us around £25.

Drac

I was talking to one of the lasses at work about such a thing yesterday and the time our lab pup ate 1.5 stones of chocolate including wrappers, on top of that were 6 penicillin, 4 Paracetmol and a packet of renee. We spoke to the vet who said it’s just the chocolate he was worried about keep an eye on her. She vomited a few of the wrappers up that was it, she lived until she was 13.

Drac

For an out of hours call out and consolation? Is your vet qualified?

Ah, ok – out of hours and consultation I presume you mean? Still wouldn’t have been a ton and yes, a very competent countryside vet.

Drac

Ah yes unless he also is a bit of astronomer is his spare time. 😕

Then that would have been constellation – are you still pissed? 😉

Drac

Hahaha! No just dyslexic and tired. If I’m pissed it’s way worse.

oxnop
    Free Member

At that point, a very well know chain of vets. Suffice to say we now use a local vet.

I remember the vet clicking a button on his computer and it was charging us by the second (or so it seemed).

Our vet (whom we called last night) was fantastic. The way I felt after trawling through tens of google pages last night I would of happily paid any amount to make sure he was ok.

Just got back from a moorland walk , he seemed right as rain.

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

I hope your dog is feeling ok today.

My dog has eaten everything that could potentially kill it. Raisins, grapes, holly berries, acorns, chocolate. After one costly visit to an out of hours vet on a bank holiday the vet advised me to induce vomiting by giving the dog a couple of teaspoons of salt ASAP.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘My dog ate a full box of Black Magic…….’ is closed to new replies.