Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My dog, a Lurcher, keeps cutting his paws/pads – what can I do
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

well when I say keeps he has done it twice in the last few weeks, a pretty bad 3cm gash on one pad which required anaesthetic and many stitches, this was in our local park/common type place. And a whole week after the stitches came out he manages to cut his other front paw – not as bad this time (fingers crossed) currently glued but back in the vets today to see if that’s worked. This was done in a local woods which he loves to run in but the vet says he has a few injuries from there due to flints etc.

So what can I do buy dog boots/shoes? Any way to toughen the pads up – more tarmac walking (please no, so boring)? He’s 1.4 years old very fast and very active.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

I think i would prefer more tarmac walking than walking a dog in boots.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s he cutting them on? Broken glass? Discarded tins? Walk him somewhere else. If you can’t do that, try ruffwear griptrex boots. Might need sock as well if they rub.

garethcolins89
    Free Member
    konaboy2275
    Free Member

Lurchers aren’t the most careful dogs. Ours was a bit of liability and was regularly at the vets, seemed to have a thing for not quite clearing barbed wire fences!

Our current spaniel was struggling with the snow a few years back as it clogged around his fur on his feet, we got him some cheapish shoes off ebay but they only stayed on for about 2 minutes.

Other alternative is to change where you walk? Ours never has a problem but I’ve taken him to Lee Quarry twice and he’s lost his pads on his front feet both times on the gravel. Don’t think the high speed descents helped!

MrGrim

Is it an ex-farm dog or an ex-racer? If so, many of them don’t spend a lot of time on pavements and tarmac. It might be best to build up walks on more solid surfaces so that its pads toughen and get used to it.

I’m assuming it’s not glass or barb wire etc as that will obviously cut the pads regardless

Bimbler
    Free Member

What’s he cutting them on?

The first (bad) time – no idea it’s a large park/common all grass, pretty well looked after, well used football pitches there in the season. Loath not to walk him there as it’s the main place he hangs with his homies. Second time possibly flints, he does love it there but I guess we can go somewhere else.

I’ve checked out the ruffwear grip tex, expensive but cheaper than regular vet trips and I’ve just spend £140 on boots for me and the missus. Dogs eh, more expensive than bikes.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Is it an ex-farm dog or an ex-racer? If so, many of them don’t spend a lot of time on pavements and tarmac. It might be best to build up walks on more solid surfaces so that its pads toughen and get used to it.

No it’s a rescue, we live in a town but are lucky enough to have access to various off road walks pretty close to our front door although he does a over a mile a day on tarmac on the morning school run before he goes to the common. So maybe more tarmac walking then

CountZero

Bomb squad and S&R dogs often wear little Kevlar boots to protect them from broken glass and the like.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Back from the vets, he’s ok and the vets are very pleased with the wound, fresh bandage (kerching) which we can take off ourselves on monday (phew no kerching) but boring lead walking for the next two weeks. Appointment booked for boosters on Wednesday (kerching).

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve checked out the ruffwear grip tex, expensive but cheaper than regular vet trips and I’ve just spend £140 on boots for me and the missus. Dogs eh, more expensive than bikes

We got some of those for our dog, they do work but I’ll just suggest that if you get some, have a video camera on hand the first time you put them on the dog…

toppers3933
    Free Member

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/dog-boots.html

a good friend of mine runs this website.

skip to about 30 seconds. 😀

porter_jamie

http://musherssecret.net/

i have used this on my labs feet and i have to say i was amazed how well it works.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I may give that Mushers Secret a go, and hold off on the boots for the moment.

Loved all the dog boot videos, how hot does the camera woman sound on toppers’ link above?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yup, that looks about right. We didn’t video ours but the sight of her trying to stand on no feet was pretty funny. It didn’t take her long to forget once we started throwing her favourite toy though and you could see the glee when she realised she could skid stop on concrete without it hurting.

Northwind

Alot of bootie experience.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Not tried musher but have tried:

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by-sport-activity/running-canicross/shaw-s-paw-wax.html

Seemed pretty good. We also use the rubber balloon type booties which are great after they cut their paws to protect them while they heal.

Ps I have no vested interest in the company I mentioned other he’s a good mate who we use a quite a bit. 🙂

dale
    Free Member

Have a lurcher (greyhound /bull terrier) about that age ,hardned pads with mix of tarmac walks (3-5 miles a day) and tow path hard standing.Still gets lots of nicks from chasing things though ,he just loves to run !

Inbred456
    Free Member

Toughen up his pads with a bit more tarmac walking first. Ours was a racer with soft pads. Cut his pads all the time. Tried shoes lasted 2minutes. He hated them. Once his pads had toughened up he was fine. They are the dummest dogs this side of a Red Setter mind so if they can hurt themselves they will!

joepose
    Free Member

Maybe its just his time – Findus are payin highly at present 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My dog, a Lurcher, keeps cutting his paws/pads – what can I do’ is closed to new replies.