Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • zokes
    Free Member

You two have gone native.

Possibly, but my love for the game itself leaves me with a dichotomy over Smith. Premeditated cheating happened under his watch. Yet, he seems to be the least culpable of the three, and also the most willing to see his need to accept responsibility as captain for it happening. He’s also a prodigious talent and honestly I see it as a crying shame that such a talent would be completely wasted.

And yes, I watched pretty much every minute of the ashes down here. Frankly, England were gash. They could learn a lot from how NZ saved the test yesterday. Australia could have had 9 players and it still wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43706190

However, the former England all-rounder Flintoff thinks the bans handed down were too harsh.

“The crime doesn’t warrant that [the bans],” he said.

“One of the things which has really annoyed me is I’ve seen people raising their profile on the back of other people’s misery.

“Some of them are in glass houses – don’t be chucking your stones, lads. We’ve done a few things which aren’t particularly in the rules – not as bad as that – and it changes.

“Then I saw Steve Smith on TV crying his eyes out, so upset, and I put a tweet out saying: ‘Are you happy now? Is that what you wanted’?”

Think this may have some legs….

Klunk
    Free Member

interesting mr flintoff, though it begs the question if you or any one else in the team can tell the ball has been tampered with how come the umpires didn’t ? they are all ex players.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member
    convert

Ed Smith to become national selector apparently. Selfishly I think it’s a shame; he is my favorite tms commentator and I can’t see how he could do both. The reasons he is my favorite commentator will probably make him great at the job – deep thinker respectful of traditional but not afraid to think out of the box too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    convert

TMS is dead. The world is a cruel, crue place.

Was looking for 1st April publication date and it wasn’t there. How am I to deal with my insomnia now?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43807117

TMS not dead just not getting the overseas stuff. And a glimmer of hope that the BBC has live England on the TV from 2020

zokes
    Free Member

Well, that’s thoroughly crap. Wonder how much hackery I’ll have to do to make TalkSport work from over here.

cheers_drive
    convert

Yep, my main issue with T20 cricket was that it was too long and needed slimming down a bit.

ransos
    Free Member

I look at the problems in the domestic game and it seems pretty obvious that they will be solved with a 16.4 over competition.

zokes
    Free Member

Yep, this really is the pits. Just like that bloke on The Fast Show (and Mark / the STW devs) in terms of providing several things nobody asked for whilst singularly failing to fix the thing that was actually broken

Royston
    Free Member

The ECB know (even though they weren’t really responsible for losing the Radio rights) that the England national team isn’t very good at the moment and there would seem  to be very little by way of improvement available or happening in the near future so having them hidden away on talk sport for the next little while (or longer) might actually be beneficial for them.  Also, perhaps the BBC knows it and doesn’t want to pay that much for broadcasting substandard on field performances.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

that is top tin foil hattery. impressive Royston!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good afternoon, everybodeeee!

First test begins on Thursday. What do we ghink about Buttler getting a recall?

Was in Australia a couple of weeks ago, and oddly, no one wanted to talk cricket!

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a punt but I’m glad that they’re trying some different options. Personally, I would’ve picked Foakes as keeper and tried Bairstow as opener.

convert

Have they said if Bairstow or Buttler will be keeper? Cook should by rights have to have a great series to justify selection after this as he has very little in the last couple of season in his CV to warrant selection. As long as a replacement is in the wings of course. You have to hope that this is the summer some younger bowlers come through and challenge Anderson and Broad’s automatic right to first pick but at 28 Mark Wood does not really count as younger

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a home series, Cook should be fine to get his numbers back up before retiring.

johndoh
    Free Member

Was in Australia a couple of weeks ago, and oddly, no one wanted to talk cricket!

I was there when it happened which, as it was in the middle of the Commonwealth Games where they were all back-slapping, was great to see and hear it all unfold on the TV 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Bairstow or Buttler doesn’t make a lot of difference as they are peas in a pod keeping-wise. Both good athletes so good standing back, but up to the sticks is where keeping moves into an art form and both of them are capable of looking like a bloke playing the cymbals.

theotherjonv

+1 dannyh (are you a member of the keeper’s union, by any chance?); however while he isn’t in the Russell / Taylor league, Bairstow has improved quite a bit.

I’m pretty sure I read that Buttler was in to bat at 7, so Johnny keeps the gloves

slackalice
    Free Member

AB!!! Don’t leave! You’re one of the best I’ve seen! Along with Viv 😃

Great loss to international cricket, however I wish him the very best for the new chapter in his life, whatever that may entail. Big respect to the man for being true to himself too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TMS on air from 1025.

drlex
    Free Member

And some nincompoop here has called a meeting at eleven; gah!

Very sad about AB- enjoyed watching him in the IPL and certainly leaving on a high point.

dannyh
    Free Member

+1 dannyh (are you a member of the keeper’s union, by any chance?);

Actually no – I was a left-arm brute force and ignorance quick(ish) bowler – played to a reasonable level (my team used to win our county prem league pretty regularly) and I played first team for about ten years before becoming a 2nd XI ‘stalwart’ holding back younger players(!)

In the course of my 1st XI time we based our attack around a guaranteed 28 overs (14 max per bowler in our league) from two very good finger spinners – one left arm one off-spinner. We had two keepers in my time in that team – both of whom could easily have been first class players if they could have batted to that level. They were both awesome standing up to the sticks – real ‘how did that just happen’ stuff. They also both stood up to seamers of anything below top pace if necessary and I saw several stumpings from fast medium bowlers that just made everyone shake their heads.

Keeping is so specific that you just know a good one when you see one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

England win toss and bat first.

Bold.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Blowers out, Simon Mann in.  It’s going to be a long summer.

Klunk
    Free Member

started to listen to TMS and that awful tiresome yorkshire bore pipes up! jesus bbc put him down please.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh come on, Vaughan isn’t THAT bad!

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s on too is he, turned off before having the pleasure.

johndoh
    Free Member

So this is our summer…. 🙁

fifo
    Free Member

Well, this is going well

johndoh
    Free Member

It is safe to say this now as he has already exceeded any expectations, but Cook is finally having a good day.

LOL

And as I was writing that I just double-checked on CricInfo….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh.

Bugger.

Klunk
    Free Member

Dismal stuff

dannyh
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaargh.

Bowled our for spit by an attack that, Mohammed Amir aside, would be more at home at a decent club side.

”It’s my natural game to be positive”.

You can’t score runs in the shed.

”I like to get the scoreboard moving”.

”I need to feel bat on ball early doors”.

I know a lot of people decry Boycs, but he talks a lot of sense. Quoting the man himself after a county player sledged him late in his career by saying “he won’t die of a stroke”.

”I’ve got over forty eight thousand first class runs, average fifty six. I must have played some shots somewhere else all the bowling’s been rubbish”.

If England had taken the sap out of this Pakistan attack, where does Sarfraz go? He hasn’t got a real game-breaking bowler. It is the type of attack that should lead to some very long days in the field, but England have gifted them momentum with some shit batting.

ransos
    Free Member

I know a lot of people decry Boycs, but he talks a lot of sense.

I think he has one point that he repeats continuously.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think he has one point that he repeats continuously.

Yep Boycott bingo was quite humorous at first, now it’s just painful.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.