Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Back to bed, then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm not sure I want to know what happened there

Royston
    Free Member

I was there ( I’ve just got in)  it was truely stunning As has been reported in the press they batted as if they couldn’t see the ball.

At 23-7 the 26 record was seriously under threat before Overton hit the ball for four. Then at 27-9 I thought I’d be witnessing a piece of English cricket history

Theres  a fair bit of rain forecast  for over the weekend if it doesn;t finish tomorrow

I felt the Pink ball is harder to see at the ground once the lights are on than it is on the TV where it seems to glow

dantsw13

When your no 9 scores 37, and you are all out for 58……..

yossarian
    Free Member

Well, well, well…..

competative advantage indeed 🤣

drlex
    Free Member

Meanwhile, the Aussies complain about sledging and are then rumbled for ball tampering.

theotherjonv

just heard it on R5 – cripes. Especially as it’s admitted that the ‘senior’ leadership team were all complicit in it (but the coaches didn’t know apparently)

And Steve Smith is such an honest likeable cricketer.

In other news they’ve complained about the verbals they’re getting from the crowd. Never been in front of Bay 13?

And they’re getting humped.  Oh, what a time to be alive!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Such a shame . Senior players all involved. I hope they get utterly hammered punishment wise . Disgraceful.

slackalice
    Free Member

The Aussies really have taken it to a whole new level haven’t they? What is particularly pleasing is how they run off and complain when they’re on the receiving end!

at least the South African’s have some back bone and have reciprocated to a degree, unlike the English who probably spent their time apologising and agreeing, hence the 4-0 test score line.

Preplanned ball tampering, with the senior players all complicit, that’s got to be at least a series ban, if not more if the ICC want to remove this ‘not cricket’ behaviour and attitudes from the game. Personally, I’d ban Australia competing at any level for at least a year.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ban Hammer

Klunk
    Free Member
    theotherjonv

That was also inexcusable, however you can argue that was done in isolation and in desperation using some dust off the ground. Taking a bit of (sandpaper?) out, giving it to a junior player to actually do the deed, he then hid the article from the umpires after the 12er had given him a message (from the coaches? who they claim weren’t involved) and showed them his soft pouch glasses case.

Deliberate, planned and even then tried to hide it, and possibly still lying. Throw the book.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dust is not artificial and he was not seeking to alter the condition of the dry and roughed-up ball, but maintain the condition it had already reached.

if memory serves 🙃

Klunk
    Free Member

funny that he has to wipe the dust off on his shirt after smearing it on the ball 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I really want an england cap like athers is wearing

slackalice
    Free Member

Aussies are bang to rights on this one, pre-meditated and what could turn out to be the whole team and coaches involved. Maybe.

i wonder what lesson Steve Smith has learnt from this? So they can move on…

i don’t suppose any bookies are involved? Just for the added ban factor!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

zokes
    Free Member

I so cannot wait to see the Australians’ weekly sports review programme on this in about an hour’s time. Absolutely breathtaking stupidity on their part.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon they will not be much sympathy there

zokes
    Free Member

Not so much at the SMH either.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/dark-day-for-australian-cricket-as-steve-smith-admits-plan-to-cheat-20180325-p4z63q.html

Good to see that the serious sports journalists here still have some ability to be impartial.

zokes
    Free Member

…actually I’ve done my adoptive countrymen a great disservice in doubting their sportsmanship as a nation. Just strayed onto bogan FM (TripleM) Facebook page. They’re as pissed off as anyone actually. I was expecting to see significant downplaying of it there. Smith is toast.

zokes
    Free Member

In fact, from scanning my various Australian news feeds this morning it’s clear that any vitriol should be aimed squarely at the team alone. I’m yet to see a single comment defending them or deflecting from this in any way. It seems the whole of Australia wants Smith’s head. Now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Analysis: Steve Smith is ’embarrassed’ again — and he may well lose his captaincy
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-25/ball-tampering-steve-smith-embarrassed-may-lose-captaincy/9584488

Yep, that is the level headed version

Royston
    Free Member

As Headline-tastic as this is everybody cheats in many various ways at top level sport.

Footballers dive , Athletes, Cyclists, Baseballers and Swimmers take drugs, American Footballers use a not properly inflated ball. Rugby Union is all about breaking the laws of the game and getting away with it if you can.

It all makes for great news and conversations  in the pub and at the water cooler and the Australian Cricket team are the gift that keeps on giving.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I seem a little to the party , but a little rule bending is normal in our world

psychle
    Free Member

Felt compelled to return to the old STW to see what you all were making of this, and to give my 2-cents worth of course… What a debacle eh? What were they bloody thinking?? Just…. words fail me as to the stupidity of it, WHY DO IT!!?? WHHHHHHHHHY!!!!!????

Smith has openly admitted that the ‘leadership group’ (there’s an oxymoron) sat down and came up with the plan, to bloody well CHEAT in a Test Match to gain an advantage through ball tampering (not that it worked). Yes, in some eyes/ways it could be perceived as pretty innocuous really and could be argued as a ‘storm in a teacup’ but, really… using a foreign object, brought specifically on to the field of play, in an attempt to alter the condition of the ball in order to gain an advantage; that’s just effing BS and totally completely 100% indefensible.

Smith must lose the Captaincy, and really, I would expect that he and anyone else directly involved will be immediately dropped from the team and sent home in disgrace (bloody economy class to!). How and when they can return to the squad, I don’t know. This shouldn’t be career ending, but there does need to be a hefty price to pay for the disrepute they’ve brought Australian Cricket into, it’s appalling

zokes
    Free Member

Ah psychle, welcome back mate. This year’s ashes on here wasn’t quite the same without you giving it back to us 🙂

zokes
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Welcome back, psychle, hope you’re well!

zokes
    Free Member

Pissweak response, and it seems most of Australia agrees. I only hope the formal investigation is swift and decisive.

dantsw13

Aussie fans may be one-eyed, but they hate cheats. This will not end well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d say acceptable, until the end of the match, pulling out by dropping the team would be bad for SA and the people who have paid to be there. Decisive action at the conclusion is required, by the reaction when it was spotted the coaching staff may not be immune from this one. Sounded like Smith was trying to protect them

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and with that it appears Root got out on the last ball of the test where everyone is laughing at the Aussies, 1 day, 7 wickets and 237 needed in some combination for the draw

zokes
    Free Member

Aussie fans may be one-eyed, but they hate cheats. This will not end well.

Yup, I’m still yet to see anything from anyone defending them, particularly the premeditation and throwing ye of heavy head under the bus. Offsiders (ABC’s weekly sports round up) was scathing. Even the PM has been at it.

slackalice
    Free Member

So Smith and Warner are standing down but still playing in the test and Smith been sacked as skipper of his IPL team, this is going to be fun!

Bancroft meant to be playing for Somerset this season too…

One question I do have is where does this leave Mitchell Starc’s swinging ball of the century of a few months’ back?!

zokes
    Free Member

pulling out by dropping the team would be bad for SA and the people who have paid to be there

Australia does have more than 11 cricketers. They could just pick some others.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not for the remainder of the match really and making them go back out is probably first step in a punishment cycle.

Anyway just heard PM Malcolm just in case anyone was wondering that is him very very disappointed, not angry just very disappointed

drlex
    Free Member

Bancroft meant to be playing for Somerset this season too

If the invitation is not withdrawn, I will be going along to boo him at Taunton.

zokes
    Free Member

not angry just very disappointed

Thats what I admonish my 4yo with when she’s been particularly naughty 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.