Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • zokes
    Free Member

See, they’re trying hard!

slackalice
    Free Member

Do. Not. Say. A. Word.

zokes
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter – it’s only pyjama cricket

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zokes
    Free Member

Well, we can’t lose now!

zokes
    Free Member

And there we go. We’ve successfully won a game in Australia. Only five matches too late.

slackalice
    Free Member

Can we use the term ‘comprehensive victory’? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

not far of the highest score either [ in the ashes]

I often wonder what would happen if they just approached a test like a ODI and slogged- lose but in a more entertaining way is my guess

drlex
    Free Member

What were the reasons that Glenn Maxwell and Nathan “Gary” Lyon weren’t in the squad?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very good and good interviews (on C9) Smith not sure what just happened and England working to plan.

zokes
    Free Member

What were the reasons that Glenn Maxwell and Nathan “Gary” Lyon weren’t in the squad?

Maxwell has disappointed too many times in the past I think. Either that or he’s shat in Steve Smith’s coffee.

Garry has never been their ODI spinner for any length of time. I’ve never understood why ODI teams don’t pick the best test bowlers (e.g. us with Jimmy and Broad), but this seems to follow the same pattern.

zokes
    Free Member

Very good and good interviews (on C9) Smith not sure what just happened and England working to plan.

Yes, even the commentators weren’t too moronic this time (though I think they’re all doing BBL)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Comprehensive win. Use crictime for streaming it is class, no need for BT. Apart from Crictime needs to show something of course

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why ODI teams don’t pick the best test bowlers (e.g. us with Jimmy and Broad), but this seems to follow the same pattern.

Probably/maybe it’s that you need different skills as a 50/20 over bowler, certainly on tour like this throwing Anderson and Broard in as the elder statesmen of a team and then asking them to take 20 wickets in NZ is too much. Maybe they will feature in the world cup at some point.

as for Crictime etc. I’d suspect even the tightest of viewers would pay the $30(au) for 365 days access over dodgy streams

Magellan Ashes Test Series
    Commonwealth Bank Women’s Ashes Series (ODI & T20)
    Men’s ODI Series vs England
    Men’s T20 Intl. Tri-Series vs England & NZ
    KFC BBL|07
    Rebel WBBL|03 (Broadcast Matches)

It’s the Oz version so imagine it for the UK
    https://secure.cricket.com.au/account/subscribe

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    scaredypants

Can we use the term ‘comprehensive victory’?

yes, but interchangeably with “two wickets from capitulation”

slackalice
    Free Member

😆

zokes
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just heard Sky News here in Australia and the poor crims are referring to it as “a stunning run chase”.

I guess they don’t know about our 444/3 vs Pakistan a couple of years ago 😆

dantsw13

First ever ODI chase above 300 at the MCG – that surprises me!

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m totally indifferent to this – so we can win a Mickey Mouse game. Brilliant. I actually prefer 20-20 to the formulaic dirge that is fifty over cricket. I know they’ve tried to jazz it up, but the middle overs of an ODI are total crap. Not as bad as the bad old days of Michael Bevan getting a 60-odd every game with four boundaries in it, just tapping out to the sweepers and running single after single, but still awful to watch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really? Watched the world cup down here and enjoyed it, this was a good game too with England taking a really attacking style that was good to watch. Neither side would call it micky mouse either they were both taking it very seriously.

zokes
    Free Member

Whilst my default position on ODIs would be to agree with Danny, I too would agree that last night’s was pretty good viewing

aracer
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

I’m totally indifferent to this – so we can win a Mickey Mouse game. Brilliant. I actually prefer 20-20 to the formulaic dirge that is fifty over cricket.

20-20 is a joke – it’s degenerated into little more than a six-hitting contest.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what does that mean for Stokes then?

aracer
    Free Member

Most obviously it means he’ll presumably be dropped from the squad for the NZ Tests, given there’s no chance of the police case being resolved in the near future. I presume he was included in that on the hope they might not charge him at all, in which case disciplinary cricketing disciplinary stuff could also be resolved. I’m guessing we might not see Stokes in an England shirt this summer now?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah assume he will be dropped, once a sentence is passed (a quick scan of the cps guidelines say it’s probably going to be community service of some sort) the ecb can decide what to do, given how many games he has missed I’d expect to see him playing somewhere soon after. It may however impact playing the ipl

zokes
    Free Member

Sounds like he’s quite a lucky boy given the reports were that ABH was a distinct possibility. I guess the CPS have decided that they wouldn’t make that stick in court.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah I guess that, and as always a few different sides to the story which are likely to come out Stokes does seem keen to say he has something to say on the issue but will wait until he goes to court.

zokes
    Free Member

Stokes does seem keen to say he has something to say on the issue but will wait until he goes to court.

At least he has some sense then

zokes
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Innocent until proven guilty?
    Charges are in, lower level and no date set?
    He can play and then deal with a ban after that?

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly I was wrong then.

zokes
    Free Member

Innocent until proven guilty?

Well, on the one hand yes. But on the other, he’s no more or less innocent than he was before the ashes. It still amounts to decking someone then sticking the boot in, regardless of the charge.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At this point the ECB will have met and listed their punishments for him, they will be agreed already based on likely outcomes, the outcomes for affray would probably have been less games than he has missed already so if you are leaving him banned it’s going to be retrospective, if not let him play and then ban him after.

DanW
    Free Member

then sticking the boot in

That was Hales

At this point the ECB will have met and listed their punishments for him, they will be agreed already based on likely outcomes, the outcomes for affray would probably have been less games than he has missed already so if you are leaving him banned it’s going to be retrospective, if not let him play and then ban him after.

If you or I were to fracture someone’s eye socket I suspect our employer wouldn’t be over the moon regardless. Plenty of England players have lost their opportunity to represent their country for less, eg Duckett most recently for the most trivial of things. Oh wait, we *need* Stokes and he is kind of good… and we might lose him to mega dollar 2020 competitions if we don’t get him back as soon as possible… as you were

dannyh
    Free Member

Wasn’t the being dropped for Australia thing because he didn’t know when he might be called back to be charged, so theoretically it could have been in the middle of a test match or build up?

Presumably he will now be given a definite date for a trial, so he can do his ‘job’ around that?

BTW what has happened to the scrote who was threatening to use a bottle on someone?

DanW
    Free Member

BTW what has happened to the scrote who was threatening to use a bottle on someone?

Same charges by the looks of it

zokes
    Free Member

I thought Duckett was primarily out of the picture due to his lack of success at the international level. Giving Jimmy a free shower just exacerbated the issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you or I were to fracture someone’s eye socket I suspect our employer wouldn’t be over the moon regardless.

Yep it’s true, and if my contract had no mention of criminal conviction it’s a tough one. Also as this is before all the facts are presented its not legally a good time to be making judgement.
    You can make moral judgements all the way if you want the ecb are making them based on what they know and what they can do. Plenty of organisations do what they can to retain people they want regardless of what they have done.

zokes
    Free Member

Plenty of organisations do what they can to retain people they want regardless of what they have done.

Tbh I’m fairly ambivalent about how the ECB treats him. He wasn’t playing cricket at the time, the criminal justice system is the correct place for this to be decided. I guess I was just a little confused as to why the ECB made him unavailable for the two more important tournaments but are now making him available for the hit and giggle when he’s still legally no more innocent or guilty than he was back in September

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.