Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m glad they are. Good to see.

Agreed!

frankconway

The West Indies have been generally referred to as The Windies for decades; not to be confused with the WICB officially ‘adopting’ the name recently.
    As for Dowrich being a poor keeper – I disagree.
    Saw him on first two days at Edgbaston; competent, technically proficient, reliable, unobtrusive – he does what he’s expected to do.
    From what I’ve seen of the current match he’s done exactly the same.
    Good to see the Windies put a good score on the board; England’s bowling performance for much of the day should be a cause for concern in advance of Australia – added to the batting weaknesses at 2,3 & 5 the Aussies should be feeling optimistic.

dannyh
    Free Member

He doesn’t catch straightforward nicks and that is largely because his micro-movements are not good enough so that he can ‘accept’ the ball rather than crocodile it.

As for the ‘Windies’ thing……

Wow, thanks for letting me know that they have been nicknamed so for decades. Growing up in the 80s I hadn’t realised. 🙄

The West Indies steamroller, under Lloyd to an extent but certainly under Richards was all about pride and lack of gimmick. What next? England vs ‘Aussies’ for the Ashes?

On a positive note, I want to see Roach and Gabriel really given license to have a crack at England with scoreboard pressure on their side. A walkover ‘holiday camp’ series is not what England need before going to Australia.

aracer
    Free Member

No, but I think they’re going to get hammered either way.

simondbarnes

Handy start 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Shame they then let them get away – oh Moeen!

In the context of the winter ahead this is now perfect for those looking to claim those 2,3,5 slots though. WI do have a decent attack and runs here will actually mean something.

theotherjonv

I think 3’s open…….. that was a horrible waft.

aracer
    Free Member

But Stoneman probably has one foot on the plane after that knock. It’s certainly secured his place for the next match, so no chance to look at anybody else.

Anyway, England not many runs for 3 wickets at stumps. Familiar position for them, one from which they often go on to get a good score…

theotherjonv

what might be interesting is that yes, it’s not unheard of for our middle order to be not many for 3 but that’s usually 20-30 overs in; this time round the WI will be getting a new ball in 20 overs time and then 6-7-8 will have to dig in against a fresh attack with a new ball

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looking forward today, could be a really good days play.

dantsw13

Yes- a good morning will open the match right up. All 3 results possible but a win either way looking favourite.

dannyh
    Free Member

Anyone still keen on defending Dowrich as a keeper? Sounds like he’s continued playing the cymbals and having a mare in general.

Klunk
    Free Member

34 in 4 overs since tea 😯

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Windies have crumbled. They ain’t right in the ‘ed

Klunk
    Free Member

402-7

lead now 233

allthepies
    Free Member

Throwing all that hard work away.

What was in the cucumber sarnies ? 😯

Klunk
    Free Member

Moeen the Destroyer

Klunk
    Free Member

god damn nelson!

Klunk
    Free Member

lead up to 291

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When did broad stop being a half decent all rounder?

cheers_drive

A few years ago after a ball got under the grill of his helmet breaking his nose. Hasn’t batted the same since

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh yes. I had forgotten about that. Shame he was good value when in full flow. Not taking anything any from his bowling, just couldn’t recall what had happened.

theotherjonv

not for the squeamish

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeVzxsfQkoQ[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Declaration for a win, there.

Time to get in to ’em!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s what Boycott would want

EDIT: he’s not dead, just wasn’t commentating at the time

dannyh
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Windies have crumbled. They ain’t right in the ‘ed

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Nah, England have worn them down. 25+ overs in an innings isn’t what you want for the likes of Roach and Gabriel. It’s what Gilchrist used to do for Australia and Cairns used to do for New Zealand. Even if you had a bit of wobble early, then an attritional period of rebuilding, the bowlers would be knackered by then. In walks Gilchrist/Cairns and all of a sudden you’re a hundred runs worse off than you were and the game is running away.

cheers_drive

Not much happening today [hoping to prompt a collapse]

cheers_drive

glitch

aracer
    Free Member
    cheers_drive

And racing each other to be the first at Headingly to get a hundred in each innings

pk13

Are the windies going to pull it off

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

They’ve been superb these two.

cheers_drive

It doesn’t bode well for the Ashes if we can’t get wickets when the sun is out

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Luckily the Aussie batting line up is pretty average too.

pk13

If they are both still in at tea it’s on I think.

cheers_drive

Yes! a few more will follow quickly…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

This is going to be a classic evening session. In more ways than one, I’m off to the pub for this!

aracer
    Free Member

The Chase is on and WI still have Hope

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@dannyh my point really was they don’t know how to win, particularly away from home. Apart from Bangladesh and Zimb I think you can count on one hand how many tests they have won away from home in the last 20 years. Their entire team has no experience of it. Which could soon change of course….

nicko74

Oh crap, this is getting close…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.