Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • My dead Hope hub :(
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No wonder it was a bit "draggy"! And the chain falling off the top sprocket hasn't done the spokes any good either 🙁

(click for bigger)
    Of course, I'll be getting another Hope hub 🙂

Zoolander
    Free Member

It's lost it's red shinyness ,
    that'll be the problem

andrewh
    Free Member

[cheeky]If you are just going to the chuck the freewheel and the bearings are any good can I have it please?[cheeky] Will pay postage.
    andy_howett@yahoo.co.uk

tandemwarriors

Hope can replace the pawl ring for you. They have a tool that engages in the (slightly knackered) teeth with a dirty great breaker bar on the end which unscrews the pawl ring.

The Big Un on the tandem was in a worse state than that, so knackered in fact that their tool wouldn't engage in the stumps that used to be teeth! They sent the wheel back to me and I set about it with a dremel, grinding a slot in the ring and using a drift to unscrew it. Hope were so impressed they sent me a new pawl ring and pawls free of charge!

Happy fettling!

Rob

poppa
    Free Member

the chain falling off the top sprocket hasn't done the spokes any good

Especially the one that's missing!

Luminous
    Free Member

poppa – Member

the chain falling off the top sprocket hasn't done the spokes any good

Thats good, made me laugh 😀

I like TWs' post, good to see a Manuf assisting, to keep stuff going, and not just insisting that the owner bin the old item to buy new.

Less throw-away, more serviceablility.
    🙂

Luminous

nodrog2
    Free Member

Send the wheel back to hope, they'll replace the ratchet (£6 for the ratchet). They'll also fit new bearings and pawls/springs (total cost at trade £30).

Gruff
    Free Member

I had a relatively new one, fail on me just like that. Total mess inside.

I sent it into Hope and they replaced all the inner parts for me (ratchet, pawls, springs, seals and bearings). it was unbelievably quick too… think it only took 3 or 4 days inc postage. Quality Service!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

which, I should point out, snapped 10cm from the rim 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm almost looking foreward to the day my hope Xc dies.

Had a set of old C2's when I was back in 6 th form (back then they were mearly 'old' as opposed to 'retro') the calliper seals went, cost me a grand total of £25 for the calliper to be rebuilt, new pads, the system bled, and the disk mount faced.

Big thanks to hope and Rutland Cycles (great bike shop despite being in a complete desert when it comes to trails to ride).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm glad I posted this as I hadn't realised the ratchet was replaceable! My fairy godmother will be returning it to Barnoldswick for me this weekend 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you're going to Mayhem take it with you and show em, nearly everybody who works for Hope will be there and I doubt anybody will be at the factory for a few days after!

Trimix
    Free Member

You need one of those plastic things on the wheel to protect the spokes 🙂

You know, the plastic thing we all remove along with the reflectors, when we get a new bike.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you're going to Mayhem

No I'm not, and Barnoldswick is a hell of a lot closer 🙂

You need one of those plastic things on the wheel to protect the spokes

yeah, I thought that too! One of these days I'll get round to adjusting the end stop on the mech…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    You need one of those plastic things on the wheel to protect the spokes

You know, the plastic thing we all remove along with the reflectors, when we get a new bike and set the mech up properly.

Fixed it for you. 😆

EDIT: Bugga, did you edit that to make me look silly Simon?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

EDIT: Bugga, did you edit that to make me look silly Simon?

can't you do that for yourself ??
    No, it was simultaneous posting 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just got my wheel back. The service bloke Mark said if I paid for a bearing service he'd chuck in a new freehub body too, so it was £12 to replace the ratchet and £17 for complete freehub*, axle spacer (which I'd forgotten to include) and seal 🙂 Great service from Hope un-shocker!

*the old one, while still functional, was badly chewed up by cheapo cassettes and bits of broken pawl…

Coyote
    Free Member

Been mulling over which hubs to buy. This thread has tipped the balance. Hope it is.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well thats why I often buy Hope stuff TBH 🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

the spokes dont look to well either ol

tandemwarriors

I'm glad I posted this as I hadn't realised the ratchet was replaceable!

well as we all saved you ££'s by telling you, do we all get a dividend payout?? 😉

Rob

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Simon, did you just send it off to them? I've got a rather ropey old XC hub on my bench that could be brought back to life I think.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

do we all get a dividend payout??

yes, next time we meet you can have a nice hug 🙂

Simon, did you just send it off to them?

I called first, but the bloke said "Just send it to us". They like you to fill in this form and include it. They only charged £6 to post the wheel back.

Mark said he'd been a bit doubtful about getting the old ratchet out because it was so chewed up, but it was OK 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Been mulling over which hubs to buy

I like the fact servicing them requires just a hammer, not fiddly cone spanners, and once you've replaced the bearings they're as good as new again.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

so did they fix it for free then?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so did they fix it for free then?

no, they said it was wear and tear, so it was £12 to replace the ratchet ring. I decided to have the bearings replaced at the same time.

clubber
    Free Member

Hope just replaced the body on my 9 year old rear hub foc after a flange snapped and the dis bolt holes cracked. Nice.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

I sometimes wonder why anybody uses any hubs other than Hope. I've got a pair on my hardtail that must be knocking on for 14 years old now and still going strong (granted, with a few bearing replacements along the way).

Love their brakes too. Still have, but don't use, some C2's from before they were even classified as C2 / O2, with the 3' long levers :).

clubber
    Free Member

I have those too 🙂 was racing them at the Bristol
    bikefest this year when my main bike broke just before.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I sometimes wonder why anybody uses any hubs other than Hope.

Becasue they're expensive, and expensive to service.

I do like Hope hubs (I prefer XCs ro Pro 2s) but I'm not blind to their faults, and it's no harder to sevice a cup and cone hub, and a helluva lot cheaper!

bigyinn
    Free Member

But if your cup and cone hub race gets pitted, then its a bin job. At least with cartridge bearings the hub will be good as new once a new bearing is in there!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

…and expensive to service.

5 or 6 quid a year doesn't seem to bad 🙂 I'd pay a lot more than that not to have to mess about with cone spanners (UGH!) 🙂

Aidy
    Free Member

Becasue they're expensive, and expensive to service.

Um, £10-15 every two or three years for bearings?
    I've never changed a set of bearings more than once in a Hope hub, and the oldest of mine is probably getting on for being 10 years old now.

You can argue that cup and cone hubs just need a spot of grease every now and then, but I reckon that every now and then is every month if you want them to be kept running smoothly – that's expensive in time.
    And certainly if you're running Shimano freehubs, you'll be wanting a new one of those every year (or two, tops) in any case.

Hopes work out pretty economically in the long run, in my experience.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

4yr old XC rear hub just needed the outer driveside bearing cleaning.
    8yr old XC rear hub needed new axle and so did bearings same time.
    Havent touched either front.

Mind you have a 12yr old XTR front that is still silky smooth but has recently developed a tiny bit of play.

I also prefer XCs to Pro IIs (have both, think the Pro IIs look cheaper and sound awful). If I was buying new I'd buy Hope for all the positive customer service stories I've heard.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don't think the Hope/Shimano hub conflict will ever be resolved, but we get to choose so there's no problem.

No Shimano freehub has lasted me longer than 9 months.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I think for your money you simply cant go wrong with shimano.

My deore hubs, non-butted spokes and xm317 rims have held up just fine and i generally ride with people on expensive chris king, hope etc etc hubs and wheelsets.

Saying that i will be buying a hope wheelset when i can afford it 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Um, £10-15 every two or three years for bearings?

Vs 50p for C&C bearings, once a year. 🙂

And IME, Pro 2s eat bearings every year. Out of 5 hubs we've had between us, only one lasted over a year. My first front ones lasted about 4 months…. Not good.

Which is why I prefer XCs. The bearings are fatter and they last longer, although the axles do snap from time to time, that's slightly better becasue Hope keep giving me new ones for free! 🙂
    I managed to get a new old stock 36h rear XC last year. It's fine so far… (Touch wood, it's off to the Alps again tonight on the back of my Pitch!)
    The XC I mentioned above is only 4 years old and it's nearly a pile of scrap, TBH: Nees an axle, bearings, ratchet ring and pawls to get it going again. It's done 3 sets of bearings, 3 axles and a set of pawl springs in that time….

Re – Cone spanners: It's only practice. I can service C&C hubs very quickly becasue I've done it so many times.
    Get the cones and lockrings screwed down, with a bit of play in the bearings, then use a normal spanner on each side and gently ease the locked cones on each side together, checking the play as you go. Simples. 🙂

It has to be said I am hard on back wheels though. Always have been. All my front wheels last forever!
    Like I said, I do like Hopes, but I can keep a Deore running for just as long for 1/2 the price or less 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘My dead Hope hub :(’ is closed to new replies.