Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • My dad's just been hurt and I'm scared.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

He's a cabbie back home. Got taken out by a woman in a Mondeo, car smashed, even his seat in pieces. He's in hospital, broken neck in 2 places, broken rib(s), brain hemorrhage of unknown as yet seriousness, etc etc etc.
    I am sh***ing myself, it was so close to him not being here, damn! And to think that I spoke to him last night on the phone…
    I wept like a kid when I realised I didn't know if he was going to be able to walk. I do now, he SHOULD be ok, will know more tomorrow.
    I don't know what I should be doing now. Told my mum to ring anytime she wanted to chat, told my wife to leave me alone (I tend to be really nasty when stressed out and there's no need for her suffering), put the kid to bed, cracked a beer open. It all makes me feel a bit better but not much. Hell, I'm so empty-headed right now.
    Sorry to have bothered you, I always write when I'm sad. And I really am now.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for you mate. 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

Best wishes. Is back home a long way away?

Diane
    Free Member

That's really awful – hope he recovers ok.

nickc

I don't know what I should be doing now

Go see your Dad

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

footflaps

Good luck to you and your Dad – hope he mends quickly.

crikey
    Free Member

Take a deep breath, stop being an arse to your wife, and relax.

It will become clearer over the next 24 hours or so how much damage he has sustained, and in the mean time, lay off the booze, stop panicking and be calm.

I'm an intensive care nurse and i see people in your state and in his state for a living; it's not easy, but try to stop and think rationally.

Despair is a useless emotion, so don't despair….

Wait and see how things work out, aim to provide support to your mum; however bad you feel, she's feeling a hundred times worse, but can't show it to you.

Be calm.

…and give me a shout on here if you want to talk about what you learn when info is available.

grazedknees
    Free Member

Rescue remedy-it sorts out shock. Get some from boots tomo on the way up to see your Dad and try to hold your Mums hand through this.

druidh
    Free Member

Alcohol isn't going to help.

How far away is he? Make plans to go see him – NOW!!!

(My dads funeral was on Saturday. Trust me – you don't want to wait.

tankslapper
    Free Member

All the best – as nickc says, go see 'im

cinnamon_girl

Kris – that's such sad news. You must go and see him, and support your mum too.

Give your wife a hug as well.

Do hope that your dad will get through it.

CG

Kit
    Free Member

All the best, man. I don't know how I would react if I heard my dad was in that situation. Let us know how it goes, would you? We'll be rooting for your dad making a full and speedy recovery!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Crikey says wise words. Its an awful situation. I hope he will be OK.

My mantra
    " if in panic or in doubt
    Run in circles scream and shout
    Then you go and sort it out"

so you have had your scream and shout now. Hard as it is you are going to need to support your mum. There is nothing you can do for your dad right now but you can do something for your mum – give her support. It all depends on circumstance but perhaps you could consider going to her tonight ( or is she at the bedside? ) maybe she will need you tomorrow. Don't wait to be asked. Give her the support without being asked.

good luck.

Taff
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for both you and your Dad

clubber
    Free Member

What cg said.

Fingers crossed for you

clubber
    Free Member

What cg said.

Fingers crossed for you

sofatester
    Free Member

In the nicest possible way – MTFU.

crikey is correct, despair will help no one. Least of all your Dad.

Be strong for your Mum and listen very carfully to the NHS staff when they speak to you. They are the best in the world and will do everything to make your Dad well again.

Sorry to have bothered you, I always write when I'm sad. And I really am now.

Don't be silly, we are all likeminded, caring (well most of us are) folk. When one of our number is down for whatever reason we are here to take the piss. Sorry, i mean help!

Hang in there dude.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It must be very difficult for you if you're far away. Try not to fear the worst, wait and see – the hospital will be doing everything necessary for him. As mentioned, alcohol won't help you. Good luck.

glenncampbell

Fingers crossed for all of you – go home, support your family and lay off the booze! Good luck!

KT1973
    Free Member

Stay positive for your family. I hope for the best for you

Hairychested
    Free Member

I wish I could go and see him, it's some 2000 miles and no plane tickets before Thursday.
    I know I shouldn't be panicking, I'm kinda calm but restless. Will ring Mum before she heads back to hospital in the morning.
    Alcohol doesn't help, neither does apple juice. It might force me to sleep, unlikely though.
    Crickey is bang on, I really appreciate such comments. But just the thought of Him not being here scares me. I'm going to tell him that ASAP.
    Thanks guys, I can take a lot of stick/crap/nonsense, but am struggling to compose myself in this situation.
    I think I'll have a shower and try to get some sleep. Tomorrow will be a better day.

epicyclo

So many people in your family are going to need your support, I'm afraid you're going to have to put your feelings aside for just now.

Let it all hang out later.

crikey
    Free Member

I think you've got my e-mail address from the Polish boot saga, which is still in progress and going well. Give me an e-mail or if I gave you my number, give me a ring if you want to talk about anything that you learn.

It all gets a bit Zen; things are out of your control, so you can only be reactive, other than trying to support your mum.

All the best fella.

Philby

Hope it all works out well! undoubtedly you are restless – anybody would be in such circumstances, especially having to wait a couple of days to get a plane.

Your Dad and Mum will appreciate seeing you when you arrive – be strong for them!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Be strong for your family and use this place to vent your true feelings, if that's what you need to do.
    There are some wise people on hear I don't think anyone is going to mind if writing on here helps you in anyway.
    Hoping for the best!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Will ring Mum before she heads back to hospital in the morning.

It's probably worth remembering that 'no news' is 'good news'. Your Mum will phone you if there's any developments, so try to stay as relaxed as you can, under the circumstances. Thursday really isn't far away.

montylikesbeer

jeez sorry to hear, hope he gets well very soon, you hold on in there for him

Hairychested
    Free Member

Yeah, you're ever so right, all of you.
    The good news is he can move his arms and legs, and talks sense (kind of unusual for him 😉 ). Oh, and he complaints his broken rib hurts badly.
    I don't know why but all those make me think he'll be fine.
    I'll talk to him tomorrow if possible. It's difficult to think what I'll say but I need to hear my Dad's voice.Weak or strong, quiet or loud, that's irrelevant. His voice,that's all that matters.
    I'm off to bed, to cuddle up and sleep next to the girl I've chosen as my life-time companion. Without being an arse.
    Good night, thanks for reading.

jedi

oh man. if you need picking up from luton/stanstead let me know if it speeds your return

chipps

My thoughts are with you. Make the most of everyone close to you at all times. That's always something to aim for. Hope it all works out.

juiced
    Free Member

Hope things start to look a little more positive soon. Sorry to hear of this.

bullheart
    Free Member

Keep the faith fella. Belief is everything…

naokfreek
    Free Member

Thoughts are with you dude..

zaskar
    Free Member

Best regards to you and your family.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hope he's ok.

pitduck
    Free Member

good luck

Waderider
    Free Member

Hairychested, hope your dad gets better.

My father had a bad accident a few years ago with similar injuries caused by violent deceleration in a head on.

He bounced back enough to enjoy the compensation. Recovered 99% I'd say. So fingers crossed………

takisawa2

Nowt to say other than hope your Dads soon on his feet again.
    ATB

sv

Get well soon to your Dad, all the best for the next few days.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Thoughts with you, mate. Get to see him soon .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘My dad's just been hurt and I'm scared.’ is closed to new replies.