Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • My Custom Crisp Titanium 29er
  • recipher
    Free Member

A project 10 months in the making, my new custom built titanium 29er MTB. Built by this Darren Crisp in Italy (http://www.crisptitanium.com/blog).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/recipher/sets/72157626175714003/

I haven’t had a chance to ride it yet. I just finished building it this afternoon. I’ll get out on it tomorrow.

I put the deposit down on the frame in the summer, it was a bit of a wait, Darren doesn’t make too many frames in the year. Well worth it though.

Truly custom:

I built the bike up myself. I’ve a couple of details to sort out – the forks need decals (on the way) and the seatclamp is temporary (the orange one I got with the post is the wrong size).

Industry 9 Hubs on Stans Crest 29er rims. I went with brown hubs rather than just been obvious and getting black.

The forks were resprayed to match, again black would have been obvious, I think brown looks good. It needs decals though, I have a set (in orange) on the way, we’ll see how they look. The steerer needs cut again.

I’m running the drivetrain 1×9, an 11-36 cassette and a 36T front chainring on a modded XTR M960 crankset.

More frame detail – the decals are etched.

Full spec is:

Fox F29 100mm
    Industry 9 hubs on Stans Crest with Rocket Ron, tubeless
    Enve Carbon Riser brs
    XTR Race brakes
    XTR 9 speed shifter
    Saint rear mech
    Yumeya chain
    Moots Open Road RSL stem 100mm
    Eriksen Sweetpost
    Fizik Gobi XM Kium Saddle
    MRP 1x chainkeeper
    Eggbeater SL pedals
    XTR M960 cranks
    Chris King bottom bracket and inset headset

The most expensive stem in the world.

Clink

That looks gurt lush 😀

Whats the basic geo?

Clink

Oh and btw, is the bar still for sale on your Flickr? If so what the width/sweep (presuming it’s flat?)?

RealMan
    Free Member

F**king nice bike.

Much better then that other guys custom ti hybrid thing.

Saint rear mech

Why saint?

And is that a ti stem? The stem cap doesn’t match. And why not ti bars too?

And worst valve logo alignment ever. Sort it out.

singlespeedstu

Custom 29ers are so three years ago. 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

very nice! I like lots. I had first ride out with my kent eriksen seatpost today.. Lovely!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Classy

Joe

Disgustingly indulgent…but tasteful.

psychle
    Free Member

Classy

+1 ! Lovely bike mate, really well sorted build 8)

Don’t like the brown forks though, sorry. Looks a bit too ‘army’ to me?

ton

head angle looks waaay too steep.
    wouldnt fancy taking it down anything to steep.

recipher
    Free Member

I don’t really ride much that’s particularly steep. It’s a kinda do-it-all bike. The geometry is a bit old school.

The forks were one of the riskier details, I’m 50-50 on it at the moment. As I say, doing them black would have been obvious. Hopefully the decals will make a difference.

The Saint mech is because it’s designed for close ratios and it works perfectly for 1×9 setups because of the tight spring. It ways only a wee bit more than XT.

The bars are still for sale. 640mm, 9 degrees sweep. £50 + postage of your choice. http://www.envecomposites.com/handlebars/mtb.aspx

I don’t subscribe to the valve/logo alignment pish.

The stem is titanium, the bars are not titanium because you need to use a shim which looks a mess. I don’t think the stem cap doesn’t match – doesn’t match what? The alternative was silver, red or blue.

I know, it’s ridiculously indulgent. Courtesy or Mr Accident Compensation.

recipher
    Free Member

The geometry is pretty much the same as the Singular Swift, which I used to own. Maybe a couple of tiny differences – slightly longer top tube, slightly higher front end.

If you want the bars, email me at johnny at recipher dot co dot uk.

nonk
    Free Member

oooohhh that’s proper reet for pit work.

epicyclo

recipher – Member
    …I don’t subscribe to the valve/logo alignment pish…

You never get punctures?

chewkw
    Free Member

ooohhh … cccuuuuuuuummmm …

That is a beauty.

How much?
    :mrgreen:

recipher
    Free Member

The spokes next to the valve holes are orange. The rest are brown. That helps with punctures. Even without them, I think I can live with the extra couple of seconds to find the valves.

Just checked – the head angle is the same as the Singular Swift. Which I don’t think is thought of as too steep, is it?

Price was significantly north of £6k. Accident Compo, 2 bike sales, a bit of overtime and 9 months of saving for the rest. Still skint this month though.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Epicyclo- it’s not formula 1, if it takes 30 secs to find the valve it’s no biggy, blame Stans sticker slave and not the guy with the nicest bike shown on here for a long time

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

And now he makes it even classier with coloured spokes to identify the valve, good work

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tidy boots that….

singlespeedstu

And now he makes it even classier with coloured spokes to identify the valve, good work

I’ve always found it quite easy to find the valve by looking round the rim until i see a valve sticking out. 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

doesn’t match what?

The rest of the stem.

I don’t subscribe to the valve/logo alignment pish.

You rebel you.

😀

recipher
    Free Member

It strikes me as a little anal. On the other hand, the whole bike is a bit like that! Next time I take the tyres off, I’ll think about it, how’s that? I’ve never bothered before.

The stem is titanium, the faceplate is aluminium. If the faceplate was anodized to match, it wouldn’t (match) and it’d look weird I think. So, black it is. The silver one looked odd (to my eye).

Thanks for all the kind comments.

rOcKeTdOg

looks lovely, but what sort of italian name is Crisp?, and what flavour are they?

RealMan
    Free Member

Next time I take the tyres off, I’ll think about it, how’s that?

Much better, I can sleep peacefully now 😀

Guess it does match the bars. Have you got a weight for the whole thing? I’m really starting to like the brown forks. And for a 29er, it looks surprisingly “normal”.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I know, it’s ridiculously indulgent. Courtesy or Mr Accident CompensationI know, it’s ridiculously indulgent

Christ…did you lose both arms and legs!!!

bedmaker

Looks really nice, not really my thing in terms of racy steepness, but nice setup.
    Forks really are bogging though, some nice metallic amber like your headset would sort them out.

recipher
    Free Member

The compo was about half of it. No idea how I ended up with so much, there wasn’t much wrong with me!

Darren Crisp is from the US but lives and works in Italy.

I’m 6’4″, so 29er is really the only choice for me. A 26er looks odd in my size, I think.

The forks take a while to grow on you, definitely.

recipher
    Free Member

If I had my way, I’d have had the forks a darker brown (it looked darker on paper) but I can live with it.

The decals should improve matters. I can see how people might not like them, they’re a bit marmite. I might not have said “bogging” though 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Why the hell would you paint your forks brown!
    Just noticed the spokes. Ok so it’s a little colour coordinated but Christ they’re minging.

recipher
    Free Member

The hubs are brown as well. I understand the marmite quality of the forks.

I also understand that posting such a thing on a public forum is asking for trouble but Christ you’re rude.

recipher
    Free Member

If, in the end, I can’t live with the forks. I’ll just get them resprayed black.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Now Marmite I can understand and actually like but I wouldn’t paint my house/car/boat/forks in the nastiest colour known to the turd collectors.
    This yours?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Most expensive stem ? how much? thought my Ti cycles one was

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

The Turnip fella would never make it to the diplomatic corps so I would not worry. Definitely different but truely all the better for it -please come back with your thoughts on how it rides.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nice work Johnny- loving the swift by the way!

Roblilly
    Free Member

I think that looks lovely and you have obviously put a lot of thought into it. Now go ride the crap out of it!!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Beautiful! 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the negative comments! It’s always the same folk and you do get used to it! Besides, they don’t really mean it! 😉
    By the way! Lovely bike! 😆
    P.S.For all you brown fans out there the Austin is painted in Russet brown. I know! I used to mix gallons of the stuff in the early 80’s! 😥

the_lecht_rocks

brown……………urrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh……….. 🙁

frame does look beautifully crafted however………… 😮

momo

I really like the look of that. Hope you enjoy riding it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘My Custom Crisp Titanium 29er’ is closed to new replies.