Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • My Cove Hummer is built……..finally!
  • somafunk

The saga of my Cove Hummer problems are finally over (if you’ve not read the threads and you feel like wasting 10 mins of your life you’ll never regain then read here about it, but don’t expect to be entertained, it may explain my excitement regarding getting the build to this point though.

I now have a fully built Cove Hummer and can lay to rest the previous 7weeks of hell, the gnashing of teeth, the hair pulling, the strops and huffs a 2yr old would be proud of and may i proudly show off in true stw fashion my new build. Comments about the workshop are welcome and i’ll pass them on to Mark, the shop owner who may take them on board…or more than likely tell you to bugger-off and get a life, perhaps he’ll ask you to come in after 5pm and offer to clean up for us.

From a rigid singlespeed to this……..

In 140mm travel mode

In 110mm travel mode

Naturally every steel or alloy bolt has been replaced for Titanium and why not indeed! 😀

Yep…not ashamed to say i even aligned the goodridge gear cable logo’s on every bit of housing. 🙄

Pauls chain device – nice bit of kit and showing the only sticker on the entire bike, my new place of work but i had bought everything online before i started work in the shop otherwise i could’ve saved a fortune…..Doh! – personally i dislike stickers on bikes along with flashy graphics.

Middleburn shiney works of art, as fitted to every bike i’ve owned since 1994.

I ran out of Titanium bolts for the thomson face plate but they’re ordered.

I’ve only ridden it round the car park and up and down the street but it’s fast…very fast to accelerate and just as quick to stop with the formula brakes. Weighs well under 23lbs in it’s current build which i’m very happy with as no component was choosen for it’s lightness but rather for it’s strength, robustness. Going to buy a pimpy rigid carbon fork for the front and i’ll prob run that over winter as i imagine i’d be servicing the Fox Talas every week otherwise, the grit n’ shale n’ mud we have up here in Galloway and on the 7 stanes trails can eat a forks stantions in a matter of days during the winter as the trails are surfaced with either granite or whinestone dust on the trail surfaces which can turn to a grinding paste when wet, with a pimpy carbon fork on the front it’ll be well under 20lbs which will help on the hills as i’ve not rode a bike in anger for near enough 5yrs, i’ve rode my Salsa Juan Solo very occasionally but that was more of a gentle whimpering pootle rather than a balls-out hang-on and pray type of riding style.

Can’t wait to get out on it at the weekend…..Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ask1974
    Free Member

That my friend is very, very nice. Loverly in a right kind of way. Quite jealous …

Good work 8)

somafunk

Cheers ask1974, I must admit to being kinda chuffed at how it turned out in the end, quite a few times over the past few weeks i’ve thought about binning the whole idea due to the hassle involved as outlined in my other threads regarding cove hummers etc, but it’s built up now and after an all to brief ride on tarmac i can say it’s been worth it, all who’ve had a shot round the shop car park and up the street have came back slack jawed with admiration and said “i need one”, so i can’t wait to see what it can do on the trails.

If anyone is interested i may let it out for a supervised demo ride round the local 7 stanes trails, seeing as i now work in a mates bike shop i don’t mind others having the occasional go on it if there’s the chance to drum up possible build custom for the shop.

It’s quite a different build from my last major bike purchase a few years ago, a custom soulcraft that i ripped the front end from back in 2007 but Ben at Kinetics is going to put a new front end on it and rebuild it with S&S couplings so i can fold it in half for ease of transportation – so it’s finally all good in my bike world.

How my Soulcraft used to look

How it ended up looking

S&S couplings that Ben is going to build into the new top-tube and new down tube, very clever bits of kit indeed.

S&S info here

somouk
    Free Member

That’s a really nice bike. Have fun!

Euro
    Free Member

Glad you finally got sorted. Looks well.

Weighs well under 23lbs in it’s current build which i’m very happy with as no component was choosen for it’s lightness but rather for it’s strength, robustness.

Haha, load of balls. 😆

somafunk

Not entirely balls…honest – cross my heart and hope to die….well, maybe not that far but certainly far enough for a kick in the balls if i’m telling porkies 😛

I could save 1.4 kg or 3lbs+ if i bought a lighter mech, seatpost, stem, fork, saddle, cassette, wheels, tyres, grips, pedals but decided against it.

I’ve always used thomson stuff, never broke anything yet but it’s strong and relatively light, heavy talas 140mm fork with remote, could’ve bought a float or DT swiss and saved 300 – 400 g easy, Heavy Zee rear mech but bombproof (hopefully), Gobi saddle not the lightest but suits my boney arse as years of previous use will testify, XT cassette – xtr is how much? 😯 , 1500g bombproof hope/crest/x-ray sapim/brass nipples wheels – i could’ve bought fulcrums or other lightweight wheels which are 300g lighter but flexy, tyres are 650 g/700g+ with sealant so i could save 200g here easy, pedals are 400g, couldve stuck to titanium eggbeaters which i’ve ran on all my other bikes and saved 150g but nah, need a proper pedal and finally grips – crap foam grips or something you can hold on to in a death grip like my fat lizard skins.

I did consider getting it under 20lbs but what’s the point on a bike like this? – i don’t want to ride a flexy noodle, the build as it stands will easily handle all mountain use (mbr trademark) and i doubt i’ll break anything through use as i weigh 68kg. However i am intrigued to see how it will ride when i find a suitably pimpy and plain looking carbon fork for winter use, research purposes only eh 😀

I’ll cue up round the corner later, please form an orderly line to kick me in the balls, NO steel toe caps please!

😆

composite
    Free Member

That is a lovely looking bike. Fair play sir. 8)

chiefgrooveguru

I really like that. If you put a short stem on I’ll be happy to accept it as a gift.

Raymond

Not often compelled to comment on new bikes but that is mint, good work!

davosaurusrex

I don’t mind fancy graphics and bling myself but that is just lovely. Good work!

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s bloody bright intit! 8)

Nice bike.

neil853
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

😀

RustySpanner

Lovely.
    Stunning looking bike.

You forgot the gears at the front though, easy mistake to make. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks great 😀 I wouldn’t want to get it muddy though, it looks so good and shiny.

honourablegeorge

Lovely build. Can’t find anything to complain about really.

RustyMac

The Hummer looks awesome.

After riding down in Galloway for the first time a few weekends back, i am now very jelous of your bike and the trails you have on your doorstep.

Can’t say i see the point of the S&S couplings, the soulcraft has such lovely lines it’d be a shame to have a couple of bumps in it for the couplings.

Coyote
    Free Member

Awesome shininess!!! 8)

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Very Very Nice

Kryton57

Very, very nice that.

peajay

I put an on-one 29r carbon fork on my hummer 2 years ago for winter and it’s still on, makes the front nice and light, keep promising to send the talas for a service but can’t be arsed,
    PJ.

bencooper
    Free Member

Can’t say i see the point of the S&S couplings, the soulcraft has such lovely lines it’d be a shame to have a couple of bumps in it for the couplings.

The point is that you can bung it in a car boot easily, or pack it down for travel – and I’d dispute that they’re ugly, I think they’re beautiful 🙂

Can even make them more beautiful:

wwaswas

Nice lugs 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Sadly they’re not mine – I’ve not yet found anyone who wants to pay the extra for me to carve them out 🙂

wwaswas

It’s the sort of thing I wish I had a need for just so I could justify owning it.

Sadly, 99% of my riding is straight out of my door and I use the car for the 1% that isn’t.

RustyMac

Hey Ben,

Each to their own i guess, can’t say I am one for the lugged look. I think that one of the things I like best about the Hummer the smoothness of everything.

nacho
    Free Member

somafunk. Congratulations! Not only have you built a lovely bike but the whole of STW seems to agree. Is this a first? What is happening?

singlespeedstu

You should bring it down to The Wobble in a few weeks time. 😉

I promise not to point and laugh at your newfangled gears and up and downy fork. 😆

somafunk

Stu…the wobble you say?, would that be the beery wobble i attended a few years ago? – that may be an idea worth looking into, let me consider it thoroughly regarding driving down/overall costs involved before i make a decision as it is a helluva distance to drive from Galloway.

Cheers for all the positive comments peeps, i know we all mention it doesn’t matter what others say about our bikes but deep down it sorta does a little otherwise why would folk post bike pics?, quite chuffed with it and everyone who’s been in the shop the past couple of days have had a spin on it and come back saying only positive things.

As for the S&S couplings?, i want my Soulcraft to return to life with a new intended use, the sort of bike i can pack down into a suitcase and always have at the ready to take off with and go explore – i may keep it in the car at all times just for that chance spotting of a trail in the hills that makes you wonder “where does that go to?”. I like the fancy lug work above but i imagine the costs may be prohibitive…..we’ll have to see as i will not be building up the Soulcraft with shiny bits till well into next year so i may decide to spend what budget i have made available to allow Ben to get “arty” with the lugs and paintjob.

Whatever i decide it will not be cheap to repair the frame and install the couplings so as the frame will be repaired to ben’s exacting standards i’ll be happy to have it hanging on the wall as an ornament till i raise the cash to build it up as the frame deserves, I easily did over 200 miles every week on this frame during it’s brief 3.5 yr life so it deserves to be treated with respect and brought back to life as i absolutely loved riding it.

Steel frames never die, they just get repaired and wheeled out for another adventure.

😆

singlespeedstu

would that be the beery wobble i attended a few years ago?

Yep that’s the one. 17th and 18th November. There’ll be quite a few faces you know there.

matt_outandabout

Purdy.

somafunk

Hmmm?, 330 miles away stu, that’l cost £150 return for fuel, £100 for accomodation, £100 spending and food money…it may just be dooable……it’d be good to catch up wi everyone again – you’s won’t take the piss out of my geary bike or lack of any riding fitness will you?………let me sleep on it, i feel a cunning plan hatching.

🙂

jonpaul
    Free Member

hey somafunk! whats the word on those two trials bikes? are they still for sale?mines sold and i’m bikeless…

somafunk

The Montesa HRC and the Gas-Gas?, yeah, they’re still for sale, oops…just searched for the original thread and noticed you posted up a couple of days ago – alright if i call you bout 8.30 ish t’night?.

singlespeedstu

you’s won’t take the piss out of my geary bike or lack of any riding fitness will you?

Of course not.

Well i might just a little but i’m sure there’ll be plenty of people keen to catch up with you again after your dissapearing act for the last few years. 😉

mokl
    Free Member

That is a lovely bike. Out of interest, which chain ring is that?

somafunk

Moki – It’s a Renthal 34 tooth 10sp compatible ring, very nice and with Renthals reputation for motorbike chainrings i’m sure they know what they’re doing when it comes to making a quality product.

Stu : I fully expect to get abuse (good natured of course 😉 ) hurled my way, if fact i’d be offended if i didn’t.

I’m 80 % percent certain i’ll be there stu 😀 , will try for accomodation now but i expect the pubs will be full up, i’ll try them anyway just in case.

I was looking at my old wobble pics in my flickr account at work this week – ain’t that a weird coincidence?.

Look!…an original wobbler.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Lovely build.

What hubs, rims and tyres are they?

tollah
    Free Member

Somafunk, no excuses it’s my 40th birthday weekend at the wobble!

somafunk

bikenell : They’re 28h Hope pro 2’s on 28h Stans Crest with Sapin X-ray spokes and Brass pro-lock nipples onto Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4 front and Continental X-King Protection 2.4 rear, wheels built by Jon @ Just Riding Along.

Wheel weight is 796g rear and 674g front, not bad for a bombproof set of wheels, perhaps not bombproof for big riders but i weigh less than 70kg so strong enough for my weight and riding style, i don’t get air, not if i can help it anyway.

Stu : Tried to call every accommodation place so far , nae luck but i’ll try the tourist board tmorn – fingers crossed i’ll find somewhere, bunkhouse?, dosshouse…i’m not fussy as i expect i’ll pass out due to alcohol poisoning anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘My Cove Hummer is built……..finally!’ is closed to new replies.