Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • My Chris King wheel has died?
  • hora
    Free Member

The freehub was sticking on my last ride and this morning its well…died. Symptoms? You can spin the pedals backwards and forwards and the freehub wont engage/the wheel stays ‘put.

Question is- the freehub body is badly scored (when a LBS didnt refit a cassette tight enough many years ago) so that’ll need replacing but on the above symptoms, will I need more internals (i.e. cost)? Is it financially viable to repair?

Daffy

It should be about £60 for the internals needed to service the freehub. When was the last time it was serviced?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

snap mate
    Some peeps put rplies to my thread yesterday. Probably needs a new drive ring thingy (or something).
    £60 apparently.

hora
    Free Member

When was it last serviced?

I bought it new in 2003 and it hasnt been touched! (flame me!)

So all in it’ll be £100 (£40 for service, c£60 for internal but that still leaves then the Chewed freehub body). Hmmmm.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

chewed freehub body will be fine, just get it rebuilt for £60ish (Bromleybike do it by mail, as does Eichler on here, tho not sure what access to spares he has).

It must be all that power you put through it…

hora
    Free Member

It must be all that power you put through it…

Reminds me of that climb in the Lakes when Jason’s chain snapped and I laughed instantly at him. As I drew level my chain snapped and he almost fell over laughing 😳

TinMan
    Free Member

Hora – is it frozen?

Mate had this happen with a King in freezing weather (he hadn’t had it serviced either) and moisture inside caused it to freeze and not engage. Heating it got him home at least and made it last a month or 2 longer.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’d strip it down (no special tools required) and give it a clean with some WD40 as described on the CK website, you’ll probably find some water inside which is freezing and causing your problems. Cleaning the splines and ring-drive is probably all that’s required, and it’ll cost you nothing.

Fagus
    Free Member

Hora, re yesterday’s mails. I’ve got a spare alloy freehub body looking for a good home.

hora
    Free Member

Fagus, how much?

Fagus
    Free Member

Make me an offer. Want the bearings swapping over as well?

hora
    Free Member

Yes- how old is everything?

Fagus
    Free Member

YGM

brant
    Free Member

I’d be almost entirely sure it’s frozen Mark.

At this time of year there are always postings about knackered freewheels.

There’s also a period of time where we see lots of threads about inner tube valves being ripped off by tyres rotating (after long dry spell).

Dibbs
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Stripped, cleaned with a toothbrush, washing up liquid, liberal doses of GT85 (to get rid of all hidden water etc) then I rummaged around and found some 5cwt fork oil…sounds alittle ‘different’ but it works! The teeth etc all seem to be ‘as new’ as well. Far far easier than I thought it would be. Cheers guys. 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

I would have thought 5wt fork oil would be a bit on the thin side, plus I’m not too sure of the lubrication properties of fork oil over proper lubricating oil.
    I use CK ring drive lube and 20-50 synthetic motor oil on my 3 CK rear hubs.

mb
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but Fagus, you wouldn’t have a spare driveshell bearing knocking about would you?

Joe

haha. I have to laugh. Over engineered rubbish.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes- Thanks for the offer Fagus, mb its yours 🙂

Looking at CK website they recommend 7.5cwt?

mb
    Free Member

What’s mine? Is there a bearing knocking about?
    Cheers.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

haha. I have to laugh. Over engineered rubbish

LOL!

Does seem a bit silly, that a freehub can freeze. I mean, it’s not that cold here, ffs. What’s freezing, the oil? Can’t be, surely?

Never had a problem with my Hope hubs, or any Shimano ones, or indeed any other, tbh. In fact, the more I hear about CK hubs, the less inclined I am to want them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’ll be moisture getting into them and freezing, not the oil. Suspect it doesnt happen on well maintained ones.

hora
    Free Member

Its the first time its happened since I bought them many many years ago with zero maintenance. Admittably Im not a good rider however the braking bumps and trailing the rear brake everywhere cant have done the rear hub any favours (vibrations etc etc)

Dibbs
    Free Member

From the CK Technical Service Manual

If Chris King RingDriveô lube in not available, a quality 10w synthetic oil may be substituted.
    Do not substitute other brands of grease, as they may be too sticky for the helix of
    the RingDriveô. Running the hub on oil will cause the RingDriveô to be more audible, yet
    functionally no different.

Just checked and I’m using 10-40 Synthetic, not 20-50 as I said earlier.

eichler
    Free Member

Late (to say the lest) reply i know, but I can still offer a much cheaper King hub service than bromley bike. If anyone has any questions, just let me know. I can get spares, but they have to come from the states so it takes a while unless I order them from bromley bike.

e-mail in profile.

cheers

J

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I had one do the same. I stripped,cleaned and greased drive ring and its bin working fine and still is many months/miles later.

ononeorange

Had my CK hubs serviced by Mr Eichler (above) when I bought them off the classifieds, did a proper job very quickly and very reasonable.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘My Chris King wheel has died?’ is closed to new replies.