Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • My chainring has magically been misaligned, help!
  • adsbatts89
    Free Member

After giving my drivetrain a bit of a overhaul I decided to put a bigger chainring on. When I put it on it wasn’t running straight and was moving out laterally ever so slightly. It was an old chainring so thought it must be bent. I’ve now put the old original one back on and that is also wobbly.

As far as I can tell the chainring is straight. Si figure it must be the cranks but they also look straight! The cranks are Race face ride. I can’t get my head around it.

Anyone else else experienced this? Any tips? Does anyone know what the problem might be?

molgrips
    Free Member

Video?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

How much out is it?
    Are you sure it’s not just the profiling of the teeth making it look out?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Can’t you just magic it back again?

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Molgrips – i’ll try and get a video up tomorrow.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

adam@bikeworks – It’s a good few mm’s out. Also when I jump on the bike and pedal under force I can feel the chain trying to come off the front ring.

bruneep

is the crank on straight and bolt done up tight?

scaredypants

There’s often a bit of leeway on loosening & retightening but I doubt you could correct a “good few mm”

adsbatts89
    Free Member

bruneep – I think so, but I’ll take it off and double check. I’m wondering if I’ve overtightened some of the chainring bolts too.

Northwind

Bent crank tab? (had this on whatever the cheapy cranks are on my commuter, I bullied them straight with a big crowbar, probably a terrible idea…)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads of chainsets a few mm out.

jamj1974

Cynic-al +1

qwerty
    Free Member

Its ok, wonky rings are all the rage right now, its lateral biopace!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘My chainring has magically been misaligned, help!’ is closed to new replies.