• This topic has 314 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 315 total)
  • My Carrera Blast 24 rebuild
  • Tiger6791

If anybody wants to proper pimp up a kids bike I’ve got some 165 Carbon FSA race cranks in the garage I need to sell

poah
    Free Member

165mm are too long for a kids bike

rossburton
    Free Member

mrbigglesworth, sorry no I never did weigh them. When I’m next in the garage I’ll take the front off and weigh that, but it will be a built wheel + rotor + tube + Rocket Ron tyre + a little of Lanhydrock’s best mud.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks rossburton. Should help give us idea – do you know what rotor and tube – can try to look up the weights (without being too much of a weight-aholic, it is useful to get an idea!)

rossburton
    Free Member

Isla Creig 24 front wheel plus tubes plus muddy Rocket Ron plus Avid 160mm rotor plus pimp purple skewer from eBay: 1.5kg.

Scale up as appropriate for rear. 🙂

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Ballpark – So the rotor is probably just over 100g (G2 160mm is 106g), rocket ron 445g, tube around 165g if also schwalbe 24 inch and skewer c.100g. That makes the wheelset itself around 700g. Superstar quote the crest front as 721g, though that might include the skewer so not much in it at all. Seems like an excellent find and may make this cost effective after all!

Does anyone know if the ‘Luna’ decals come off as the boy and girl bike look identical except for the colour scheme and decals (and seen a cheap luna near me!)

dirkpitt74

Just get us stripped and powder coated – cost me £30 to have my lads done.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Where did you get the powder coating done for that cost?

dirkpitt74

Superstar Stan’s wheel set weighs just over 1.5kg:

Superstar Stan’s build – super lightweight! by Chris WoodFlickr2BBcode LITE

rossburton
    Free Member

For comparison the wheels that came on my Blast were 900g (front, hub/spokes/rim) and 1.1kg (rear), and the tyre/tube was another 1kg each end, so both wheels ready to roll weighed 4kg.

dirkpitt74

mrbigglesworth – Member
    Where did you get the powder coating done for that cost?

I had it done at Bournes Powder Coating – Birmingham.

rossburton
    Free Member

(Wrong thread!)

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Those stans are lighter than the numbers I was working off on Superstars (which reckon the set is 1623g, 721g front, 902g rear).

Again, doing some rough maths here, but adding on 2 tyres (+445+445), tubes (+165+165), 2 discs (+100+100) gets you to 2.97kg. Taking the isla front wheel at 1.5kg, assume the rear one is 1.7kg gets you to 3.2kg. So probably 200-250g in it between the sets of wheels? And another 250-300g to the stock wheels.

Does make me wonder if its worth a new wheelset, instead focus on changing the tubes, tyres, discs and cassette. Are the stock wheels robust enough?

(Ta for the powder coaters name too).

keir
    Free Member

if they’re ETRTO 520, spa have some kinlin rims here: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s116p2336/KINLIN-Nb-R-24%5C-inch-Rim that look like good value

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

I’m continuing to look at this, but costing it is looking a bit ugly! Seems like its around the same as just getting a decent condition second hand isla and I’m not sure that the components would be any better.

Anyone know if a SID dual air 26 inch fork mess up the geo/ride noticably? And how much it would cost to get one of those adjusted to cope with a kid’s weight?

poah
    Free Member

A2C is about 400mm on the blast so as long as the forks are within that area shouldn’t be an issue.

Garry_Lager

mrbigglesworth

I’m continuing to look at this, but costing it is looking a bit ugly! Seems like its around the same as just getting a decent condition second hand isla and I’m not sure that the components would be any better.

Do you have more than one kid? Full monty blast rebuild is never going to be good value on 24” wheels that they’ll soon grow out of, but it helps if you can pass it on.

Depends if you want a project or not – a secondhand isla is certainly easier and prob cheaper in the long run, but I guess it’s about doing it for its own sake and building a great bike for your kid. .

rossburton
    Free Member

Well I’m about to do it all again… got my parents to buy a 24″ Blast close to them that was “for parts” (knackered mechs, maybe a bent hanger) and a steal at £30.  It can sit in the garage until my daughter is starting to grow out of her 20″ bike then I’ll decide whether to do up the new Blast for her, or bump my eldest up to 26″ and give her the old Blast (fixing up the blast to sell at a profit, obviously).

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

I totally do appreciate there is the whole project aspect and again, maybe rose tinted spectacles, but the prospect of building it with my son and him showing interest!

I do have two boys, so it could be reused twice as a 24 inch bike, and might be able to further use some of the parts in the second ones following bike (potentially 26 inch fork, derailleur, brakes..)

Thanks poah for the info, a 63mm adjusted SID is around 434m I think – so difference of around 34mm. I suppose with the angle that is going to increase the front of the bike by around an inch?

(I’m looking at the SID as it seems to have been suggested in other threads and understand you can change the oil so it is better for lighter weighted souls.)

stevextc
    Free Member

The Isla will have better but not great components fitted ()unless you got the Pro it’s a question of which ones (if any) you keep and if what you want to end up with is the Isla or will you then be modifying.

How much do you enjoy tinkering vs want to buy off the shelf…. ?  Tinkering with kids bikes is expensive but less expensive than adult ones… but building with your kids is very rewarding.

The other options to look out for a pre-modded bike already to do what you/he needs….

But then that’s the main question … what is it they need now vs a years time?

Most stuff will be transferable if you don’t go for absolute weight weeny 12 spoke wheels for example and your only paying extra for the used frame if you change later.

It all depends what you and Bigglesworth Jnr end up riding.  The type of riding we do has changed a lot over the year and a bit on the 24.  Most of that was initially driven by what was close but changed into what we enjoy as his skills and fitness also progressed.

Depending what this is you might go more towards the Isla (XC) or more towards a more trail Geo.(or we ended up going to FS).. or stick with the Carrera.

On forks … the RST F1rst is probably the best off the shelf kids XC fork.(it works well out of the box for kids weights in XC and anything where adsorbing big air isn’t the priority).. with some mods the SID can be a great Enduro Fork and is certainly more capable of adsorbing bike park sized jumps and drops… but I’m not convinced even though its lighter and more sophisticated it would be better for XC.  Its a bit like trying to mod a Pike or Lyric for adult XC use IMHO…

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks again for the input. As you say there are quite a few unknowns in that what we ride might end up changing. The building aspect is certainly a draw, as I would like to capture his interest in something like that.

I wonder – as I’m on a fairly steep learning curve on bike components maybe I’m not thinking about the right components – which is why I have trouble matching it up to an Isla. Broadly I was thinking as the following to go on a powedercoated carrera frame: RST First 24 air fork, Isla wheelset with Rocket Rons, Clarks M2 hydraulic brake set, X5/GX2.1 10sp rear derailleur, the Hoy 140mm cranks with a UN55 118m BB, otherwise balance of reasonably priced cost effective bar, stem, saddle, post etc. Think that should be <11kg and bit over £500 with most components new but shopped around for best prices. Anything there that is naff/or where a better similarly price option exist?

rossburton
    Free Member

My method was to source most parts from here and eBay, plenty of people shedding perfectly good parts as they upgrade.  eg my son’s bike has practically unused Deore brakes from someone upgrading their new bike, and they have good reach adjustment so fit his hands.  Biketart are selling the Madison youth trail saddle for a tenner on eBay.

Assuming my youngest gets her own 24″ bike before my eldest is tall enough to need a new frame I plan to moving almost everything over to a small 26″ frame apart from wheels and fork, and I’m pretty confident a Blast frame with 24″ wheels and a carbon fork will sell easily on here…

clubsmed
    Free Member

I am looking into starting a similar project and have been reading with interest.

Like mrbigglesworth I am debating between a project and just buying an Islabike.

For me it looks like the project is going to win out for the following reasons:

-I can respray the frame a bespoke colour without effecting the resale value much.

-If I keep all the original kit I can put it back on the project to sell and put the upgrades on the next project when this is outgrown.

-It will be great fun to do all this tinkering with the little one’s help, should be some great parent/child time.

-Some of the upgrades would cost nothing as I already have them as spare parts from my bikes.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Respraying it is definitely a draw, pretty sure that would capture my little one’s imagination, picking/making decals too!

I floated it past my wife yesterday, was quite surprised when she didn’t shoot the idea down. In fact, she’s just started reading Flying Fergus to the little one which is quite on topic.

dirkpitt74

As Ross said you can pick most of the bits up cheap either on here or ebay.

My lads 24″ blast will probably end up around £500 as I splurged on the Stan’s wheels.

But it will be going to my younger daughter in the not too distant future.

Just sorting a small 26″ frame for my lad so we can build his next bike – he’s joined the cycling & maintenance club at school (they’ve go there own MTB track in the grounds too) so hopefully that’ll enthuse him a bit more to get involved in the build.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

What else did you spec on the bike dirkpitt?

My issue is that as far as I can see stans wheelset plus rst fork = £450 – and I don’t have any other bits around, so by the time the rest is added the cost is going to get much higher.

dirkpitt74

Most of the kit is second hand or stuff I had in the spares box.

It’s got some Shimano M365 brakes I picked up of a guy at work for £20.

SRAM X5/X7 shifter 7 mech off here for £20.

Shimano 11-42t 10sp cassette from Bike-Discount.de £30.

Suntour XCT Jr crankset from Amazon £30.

Forks are some 26″ Fox Float 32’s with 80mm travel – picked up locally for £50.

dirkpitt74

@rossburton – what size BB did you go with when switching to single ring?

rossburton
    Free Member

The crankset I swapped it for was a triple so I didn’t want the chainline to move.  I needed a new bottom bracket anyway (the LBS had to use an anglegrinder to get it off…) and they’re 118mm apparently.

poah
    Free Member

118 for the suntour crank

dirkpitt74

Thanks chaps. That’s what I have at the moment and swapping to single ring. So if I put the n/w in the middle position it should be ok?

rossburton
    Free Member

Yeah just put the single on the middle and that neatly means you can put a bash on the outer.  Go 32t on both and it’s super neat.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m still super-confused how one is meant to know what axle length to use, pretty sure the cranks never said 118mm on them anywhere.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Quick question on the frame. Seems like the newer carrera frames are a little different that slightly older ones. One of them has a little extra tube piece under the saddle. Any view on one frame being better than the other.  Or lighter etc?

Or are there any other donor frames worth considering?

dirkpitt74

Don’t think there is any major difference – I suppose the tab from top tube to seat tube looks more ‘Enduro’.

As for other frames I don’t know – didn’t really look at any others as the general consensus was the Carrera frame was fairly light.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

That seems to be consistent with what I’ve generally seen. Sifting through one thread, found a reference to a Poison Zyankali –  £100 for the frame and around 1600g , so prob better to stick with the blast frame and spend money on other things.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Hmm, a few hesitant ebay clicks and I have a frame sitting in the garage. Guess I’ll go down the building route!!

Next stop wheels….

Poopscoop

Such a shame that photo bucket managed to skrew up a lot of the pics on this thread. 🙁

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Was just on the Isla website and noticed that they’ve changed the Creig to be 11 NX speed and 11kg (instead of 10 speed and 10.5kg).

Wondering what people think of that  – have those with little ones found a 11-36 10sp cassette sufficient (which is what I was thinking of using) or have they found instances when 11-42 would be required – and if so when?

I’m thinking 11-36 will be sufficient for most needs throughout the lifetime of the 24 inch bike (which he will be in around this time next year), maybe a bigger range on the next 26 inch bike down the line…

edhornby

my 7yo has a 20in wheel isla and she can just about fit on it but because of the relative power of the rider to the size of the bike she’s constantly in the lower(st) gears so the lower you can get the ratio they will use it, especially as they get tired – better to have it and not need it than be found wanting and have your child lose interest at the furthest point from home

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘My Carrera Blast 24 rebuild’ is closed to new replies.