Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • My Brain is dying :-( Rear Shock Alternatives Advice
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I have an old Spesh Stumpy FSR Carbon Pro.

Today the Brian has started leaking at the point the pipe joins the shock :-(. I tightened it up best I could …. strange little bolt with indents (special tool required?) I’ll post a pick later.

To be honest I’m not that fussed about the Brian and was wondering if another shock could be installed.

Eye to Eye is 7.625 and the Stroke 1.625. Would a any 190 or 200mm shock from CRC be OK. and what does the size options mean ?

Any thoughts.

toppers3933
    Free Member

email/call mojo. they’ll tell you if theres a fox alternative. to any of the tuners i suppose.

robj20
    Free Member

Common sizes are 184 x 44, 190 x 50 and 200 x 50 so you would have to choose from that.

Yours comes in at 194 x 41.2.

Might be best phoning TFtuned or such to see what the say.

redthunder
    Free Member

Would 190 x 50 work it’s near enough to the metric numbers above.

I don’t really use the bike on anything super serious. Pretty much local woods and a mince around Wentwood forest.

robj20
    Free Member

Your really best speaking to TFtuned or Mojo, im not 100% what changing the stroke size effects. But they will help you pick a shock and fit bushes so it mounts straight to your frame.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks robj20 and toppers

I’ll send Mojo an email.

redthunder
    Free Member

The was leaking from this nut. I’ve tightened the nut somewhat, finger tight. But I cant get a spanner onto the nut.

Is there special spanner out there fro this type of nut ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qMibjt]P1130642[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

RT

andylc
    Free Member

I replaced my Brain Shock from Spesh 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert with an RP23 pro pedal, from memory I think it was 7.25″ X 1.75″ – this is not one of the normal sizes but some are available – I got mine from eBay, put a search on there for it and one came up after about a week almost as new condition. Works better than the brain did as well.
    Thats 185mm X 45mm in metric speak. It fitted perfectly by the way although I had to buy some mounting stuff from TF Tuned.

andylc
    Free Member

There is an 185mm RP23 on eBay right now if you’re happy buying second hand.

redthunder
    Free Member

Hi Andylc

Could you please mail me the link 🙂 Is it £100 buy it now one ?

redthunder
    Free Member

There are stacks of 190mm’s in Ebay would they work…7.625inch is 193.7mm.

3.7mm what effect could it make to riding ?

redthunder
    Free Member

The rest of it …

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qMcj2C]P1130643[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

teethgrinder

My FSR originally came with a 185x45mm cheapo shock. Owner before me put on a 190x50mm RP2 – seems to work OK and ups travel from 120mm to ~130mm.

Have also tried it with a 200x57mm RP2 with offset bushes to shorten the effective i2i – seems to work OK and ups travel from ~130mm to ~150mm.

At no point have I died, and the change in geometry at the back has raised the BB to a point where I no longer get pedal strikes all the time.

murf
    Free Member

I’m running a Fox rpl (an rp23 with lockout) on my 2008 stumpjumper. It’s slightly longer than stock brain shock but I can’t tell when riding it.
    Go for it 🙂

andylc
    Free Member

The one I saw was this:
    RP23

But the £100 buy it now looks the same apart from not sure what high volume means? If you put RP23 185 into the eBay search they both come up.

redthunder
    Free Member

Quick update. I’ll look out for a 190/50 for my rig.

I tightened up the bolt the best I could and oil has stopped coming out. Put it all back together and the bike is OK’ish. But the is half working , the oil loss from the pipe has had hampered the brain somewhat.

Makes you wonder if you remove the brain and plug the shock.

Anyone know about the strange but above or what tool would be required ?

Thanks for all the advice and pointers above.

PS Still can’t find a middle chainring for my old deore xt fc-752 chain set
    🙁 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

Final Update

I was forced to go to IKEA in Bristol last weekend….the agony.

However, on the way back home I spotted the new Specialized Concept Store nearby. No idea they had a concept store again after Park Street. Any called in and talked to guy call Phil(top rate guy, knew his stuff and was very helpful, actually all the staff were top rate).

They could service the shock for £160 or get a brand new one for £200 🙂 went for the no brainer version £200 as I’ve not done a servicing thing with shock since I got the bike in 2007.

Had it fitted to today at no cost and while I waited 🙂

Highly rated store and staff. I will almost certainly be returning to this store. 10 out of 10.

Downside: Started looking at the Charge Cooker Ti hard tail…I don’t really want another HT do I ? do I ???

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/bristol-store

bigyinn
    Free Member

You called your shock Brian? How quaint!

redthunder
    Free Member

Did I say Brian ? Lol

The £200 was for the shock and attached brain. Bargain I reckon 🙂

Might sell the old shock and brain on eBay.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘My Brain is dying :-( Rear Shock Alternatives Advice’ is closed to new replies.