Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • My boy will not eat proper food!!!
  • bikemike1968
    Free Member

This sounds very similar to my lad, now 8.
    What they choose to put in their mouths is just about the first thing a child can do to exert any control. My son started refusing certain foods when he was about 1 year old, before that he had weened perfectly and ate anything. Obviously he got a reaction from us when he spat out a food he had previously eaten happily- so he refused something else. It got to the point of having a diet consisting of sausages, sweetcorn and cheerios.
    We got really worried and spoke to the health visitor – she looked and said “there’s protein, fat, vegetables and carbohydrates in that, what’s the problem? “
    And she was right- he was healthy with loads of energy. Gradually we have introduced other foods without making a fuss. He is now 8 and eats much better- texture is still an issue (he won’t eat anything sloppy so pasta sauces etc are out) but we can now take him to most restaurants and find something that he will eat.

His fussy eating was simply advance warning of his personality- he is extremely strong willed and stubborn- his eating was the first way he could express this.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve helped bring up more children than most and have never come across this situation.
    Not once.

This actually happened, to me. It’s perfectly possible.

It doesn’t take long.

How long?

Gosh this parenting thing’s easy, isn’t it. Simple rules that work for every kid. Makes you wonder why people waffle on about it so much doesn’t it? If only we knew the simple truth!

AD

sbob -I try to post helpful responses on Singletrack (see my first post in this thread) – unfortunately I tend to get a bit judgemental when the ‘one true way zealots’ appear with ‘starve ’em – that’ll fix it’ comments.
    Curiously most people on here seem to be more of my view than yours. I suspect my son would have been similar to both Cougar and Molgrips if I had pushed it so personally I’m glad I went for a softer approach.

However I am sure you are a quite exceptional foster parent if that helps and am truly sorry I mistook you for a smartarsed troll.

sbob
    Free Member

It’s perfectly possible.

It certainly is, just incredibly unlikely.

How long?

Well not so long that the child starts to starve or become malnourished!

Gosh this parenting thing’s easy, isn’t it. Simple rules that work for every kid.

You’ll be surprised to hear that most children do actually have the same basic needs.
    Parenting isn’t easy, but getting the vast majority of children to eat whatever food is put in front of them, is.

sbob
    Free Member

However I am sure you are a quite exceptional foster parent if that helps and am truly sorry I mistook you for a smartarsed troll.

I’ll accept smartarsed.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll be surprised to hear that most children do actually have the same basic needs.

.. but not all …

You’ve admitted that getting some kids to eat their food is hard – so we’re in agreement.

steve-g
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve skipped to the end without reading all of the above so apologies if this has been said.

We have the same issue with our eldest who is very nearly 5. We found that a combination of putting 1 of the thing we want her to try on the plate with some other food and gradually building up to tasting it then chewing and eating it over the course of days of weeks seems to make progress.

We also cut out crisps, chocolate, and sweets entirely Monday to Friday (I’m sure the MiL is still giving them to her on the sly) but on days when we are around and she has no “rubbish” she is a lot keener to try things.

Its small victories and progress you are after here, your not going to do one magic thing and 5 minutes later they are eating a 3 bean salad.

Also, know when to give up and appreciate that today might not be the day, or they might actually genuinely not like certain things.

Ours fights a bit, then when we leave her alone and she thinks we are not looking she will sneakily eat a bit of whatever it is as if to not lose face by doing it in front of us.

Stick with it

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘My boy will not eat proper food!!!’ is closed to new replies.