Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • My Blur TRc
  • simonm
    Free Member

Thanks to the guys at 18bikes in Hope, here is my Blur TRc…

First ride today in the Peak… Beast, Lockerbrook, Whinstone classic. It NEVER felt out of its depth, totally sorted bike.. less is certainly more, for those who don’t get the idea of short travel, aggressive geometry bikes.. I suggest you ride one before you knock it.. simply amazing bike.

Stats, 120something travel rear, 140 front, 25.2 lbs.

shredder
    Free Member

Like that enjoy… and would agree on the travel run my bike 120 rear 140 front.

Vortexracing

even got green pins in the pedals, nice touch.

looks superb, happy riding

what crank and bash is that BTW?

sambob
    Free Member

Saw this on 18 bikes twitter, want!

simonm
    Free Member

Cranks are XTR M970 cranks, I turned down the outer 44T ring to make it a bash, then had them ceramic coated at Ceramikoat in states.. but that’s not worked out so well, they have worn after first ride…Something wrong with that as the ceramic coating is supposed to be really tough, will take it up with the tomorrow… maybe it just cant take Peak grinding paste.

psychle
    Free Member

then had them ceramic coated at Ceramikoat in states

That’s dedication that is, like it 🙂 What was the turnaround like?? 😕

Vortexracing

I’m interested in that coating as well.

simonm
    Free Member

Turnaround about 10days.. $90.. but will have to see whats gone wrong here, the finished looks amazing.. but to wear off after one ride I think something has gone wrong in the process, More info on my other thread here

simonm
    Free Member

That’s dedication that is, like it

you missed the green chainring bolts, and the Sella italia with a 2″ green stripe.. as I said, less is certainly more 🙂

IamSam
    Free Member

NIce to see the finished product and very good it looks too.

simonm
    Free Member

compositepro
    Free Member

There are 3 ceramic coatings I know of that will stand up to the peak district grinding paste ,One of them will even coat an aluminium disk brake rotor and show very little sign of wear ,I would question what went wrong hard ano will last more than one ride.

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, strange isnt it.. The bash, that was coated, hasnt got a single mark on it. Anyway, emailed Ceramikoat, RD will come back soon no doubt. I did put them under pressure to get the chainset back, wonder if it didnt have curing time, or maybe an issue straight from process into a plane back to the UK ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Very nice bike SimonM, what are the handlebars?

What was the outcome of the squashed carbon Nomad? Did you replace it or just throw in the towel and change completely, is this it? Your ‘ordeal’ was mentioned recently by a few STW peeps.

honourablegeorge

Curious – does the axle end up coated also, or can it be masked?

Metasequoia

Great bike- not really ‘short travel though’

simonm
    Free Member

many thanks all, I’m made up with it.. a fitting 40th birthday present to ones self I think.

The axle was masked.

ta.

simonm
    Free Member

Great bike- not really ‘short travel though’

127mm rear is short by most “standard” trail bikes these days.

druidh
    Free Member

I was gonna say 127/140 is considered “short travel”??? Really?

simonm
    Free Member

for a trail bike, with a slack head angle yes, dont you keep up with trends Druid ?. The front needs dropping to 130mm aswell… Bit of tweaking today and the weights finally in at 24.95lbs.. I’m happy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honest question why not the Blur LT – not much extra weight and 140 rear?

dekadanse
    Free Member

Corr! Lust lust.

simonm
    Free Member

honest question why not the Blur LT – not much extra weight and 140 rear?

Ive already got a 160mm travel bike, and having previously owned an ST4.. Then I can see the sense in this type of bike for the trails I ride most of the time.
    Compared to the Blur LT, The TRc is just a bit slacker, a bit longer, bit steeper seat tube, bit lower BB, perfect for Peak where I live, local single track and odd trip to Wharncliffe. Just fits with my area well, and sometimes less is more.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Almost a bit like a slightly less extreme Spitfire, only without the dodgy bushings and the extra heft. Very nice indeed. I’m still really not sold on the colour schemes of the TRC frames, but that’s a minor point.

I also totally get why you went for this over the LTC. Even ignoring the difference in geometry, I also recently decided to go for a slightly shorter (by modern standards) rear travel bike paired with a longer travel fork (a Bandit with 130/150mm). I guess it’s always going to be a compromise one way or the other, but I’ve really been pleased with the balance between being responsive and having something in reserve for the rougher stuff.

Let us know how you get on once you’ve been out on it more!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Nice bike, very nice. Ive thought very hard about one of these but have in the end decided to wait for the Pivot 5.7 in carbonium…Mmmmmmm carbonium…..

slowrider
    Free Member

aye, that’ll do. shame the fork stickers mis-match though 😉

simonm
    Free Member

lol, ive already emailed sam to get some closer matching stickers 😉

the green frame actually looks really good in the flesh as the black is a matt finish, the shiny red and black one looks a bit specialized.

had another short spin and really think the forks need to be 130mm, possibly 135mm if i get get a 15mm spacer.

tinman66
    Free Member

Sweet bike, really interested to try one of these. Have the Revelations got the tapered steerer? Are you dropping the Revelations travel down to 130mm ish? If so who are you getting to do it? Or are you doing it yourself?

honourablegeorge

Never mind stickers, I’d be sticking black Fox 32s on it

matthew_h
    Free Member

Why would you want to put a worse fork on?

simonm
    Free Member

The revs have been lowered by 18bikes to 140mm at moment, Revs are what this bike deserves, colour aside 😉
    As above, going to look into getting them down to 130 or 135 (prefered).
    Nope there straight 1 1/8″ had them from before this frame.

thanks.

BadlyWiredDog

That’s dedication that is

That’s pointless that is, at least in the Peak, the most aggressive substance known to man disguised as a geographical area… Cranks are made to be scratched up. Ditto mountain bikes 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

Well, Jon, before they wore after one ride, they were pretty knackered, so it seamed only fit to get them revitalised.. however, mix 5tens and Peak grit and they wore after the first ride, still, the rest of the cranks, the home made bash all look much better than before.

Talked to RD @ Ceramikoat today, there sending FOC a new pair of crank arms in a different coating, the one I had asked for was a first for them, and that maybe the reason for the quick failure.

tinman66
    Free Member

Cheers for the info simon, got a set of Revs myself I want dropping to 140mm. Might give 18bikes a call. Having said that your bike gives me bad ideas 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Well, Jon, before they wore after one ride, they were pretty knackered, so it seamed only fit to get them revitalised.. however, mix 5tens and Peak grit and they wore after the first ride, still, the rest of the cranks, the home made bash all look much better than before.

Talked to RD @ Ceramikoat today, there sending FOC a new pair of crank arms in a different coating, the one I had asked for was a first for them, and that maybe the reason for the quick failure.

Sounds good. Don’t mind me, I’m just a jaded cosmetic cynic. Mostly you can’t see my bikes for the scuffs. 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Looks nice Si! 🙂

simonm
    Free Member

I know Jon, its going to get worn.. but give me two mins of shinyness with it 😉 I aint going to be one of those people who never ride there carbon bikes in the winter !

Ta Dan, I’m pretty chuffed with this one.

BadlyWiredDog

I know Jon, its going to get worn.. but give me two mins of shinyness with it I aint going to be one of those people who never ride there carbon bikes in the winter !

That’s kind of the nice thing about ti, quick scrub with a scritchy scratchy pad and it looks like new again 🙂

mrhoppy

Ooh, that’s truly a thing of beauty. It makes me feel all funny just looking at it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Very nice bike with some excellent detailing.

I can totally see the point of 127 out back adn a bit more up front, My Helius CC has 140mm up front and 129mm out back and it just feels right.

When I ran my old one with 130mm Rves I had it set at 116mm out back and it felt much much better than having 129mm out back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘My Blur TRc’ is closed to new replies.