Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • My bikes are dying, bottom bracket info please.
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

After finding the headset is wrecked on my full suss I decided to take out the XC for an easy bimble last night only to find the cranks wouldn’t turn. After a bit of persuasion I got them moving but with a decent amount of resistance, but can’t ride it so both bikes are out of action just as the weather turns!

This bike has a KCNC press fit BB which has been subjected to the worst of the wet weather over the past months. What do I need to do to fix it? Is it a whole new BB or when I whip it off will I find bearings I can replace?

Many thanks as always in anticipation of the words of wisdom.

damascus
    Free Member

If they don’t get used the bearings rust when they stay still for a long time. I’ve found that replacement bearings are some times nearly as much as a bb in the sale plus the hassle of changing them.

You could get a shimano one for less that £20.

I run a hope ceramic bb and I do pop the bearings out from time to time, clean them and put them back in. Still going strong 6000 mtb miles later.

I’ve heard good things about aerozine ceramic bb that are half the price of hope.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Fit some enduro press fit bearings and much shield (orange plate on the outer side of the bearings) they are flipping amazing.
    My OH was killing a BB in 3 months on her old LP.
    The enduro BB was smoother and lasted a lot lot longer than any other.

That happens to my bikes all the time. I find a liberal application of WD40 and a 15 minute ride loosens them up nicely.

The bearings are probably shot but as long as the cranks turn it doesn’t seem to make much difference.

I blame these stupid external bearing BBs 🙁

munrobiker
    Free Member

As above, it’ll be stiff at first but a squirt of lube and five minutes riding will see it right. Mine did it regularly when I was switching between 3 bikes and not riding some for a long time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just make sure the bearings in the BB are actually turning and not just the top hats turning in a seized bearing. 😳
    You can damage the crank axle quite easily doing this…..

ahwiles
    Free Member

somewhatslightlydazed – Member

I blame these stupid external bearing BBs

nothing wrong with exterrnal bearing BB’s, they just need to be well sealed.

(well sealed external BB’s are available)

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ok cool, so, I will whip it apart and see if the bearings are still turning, squirt with lube and then keep my fingers crossed. Just had to splash out on a new hope headset this morning so can’t afford a new BB right at this minute 🙁

Thanks for the advise and I will look back to this thread when the time comes when I have the money to buy new.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My bikes are dying, bottom bracket info please.’ is closed to new replies.