Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • My bike stolen in haul from LBS – what to get as replacement
  • timg147
    Free Member

Hi all,

Was cycling to work a few weeks back and got knocked off my bike, guy just didn’t see me and said he would pay for the repairs, needed a new front wheel as it was totalled (looked like a banana) and a few other bits and adjustments. Guy was good for his word and paid for the repairs.

HOWEVER gone to collect bike from local bike shop this morning and they have been broken into and mine is part of the haul. Shop owner says he will sort it all (either on his insurance or not). While chatting he suggested a 29er as I am 6ft 4. I Don’t do anything extreme, cross local fields, back roads, some trails in the peak district and trips to Cannock chase both normal tracks and ‘follow the dog’.

What do people think to the 29er idea?

My bike was a Scott XL frame, rockshox forks, XT crankset and XTR cassette,front and rear derailleurs and dual control shifters.

The LBS is a Merida (mainly road bikes I think) and Lapierre dealer and the guy has said the dealer has offered to help him out on stock for customers bikes.

Just wondering what people think, should I go 29er or stick with a 26?

scaredypants

29er sounds a very good idea – at least aesthetically, and they’re mostly sorted now geometry-wise aren’t they

Get a proper test on one though

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got a really good LBS. Sad to hear they were turned over by scumbags.

Does he have any XL 29ers left he can let you have a go on?

Sounds like you’d be a prime candidate for one, definitely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

29ers are great, I’m ‘only’ 6ft and haven’t looked back, they’re just better (IMHO).

spidersexual
    Free Member

What those 3 above say.

GEDA
    Free Member

I am just off out on my 29r but I would not say it is better just different. It is fast and has good grip on steeps but I could have bought a cross bike to go fast on. For what you are riding though i would say a 29r would be great.

NormalMan

I’ve been seriously won over by my 29er.

Try and get a test ride on one as I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Merida 29ers are the bomb.
    Just get one!

james28
    Free Member

Timg147 was it in tamworth by any chance as mine got stolen from there while in for a service too

timg147
    Free Member

james28, yes it was. Have ‘hopefully’ added my e-mail to my profile if you want to chat about it off forum.

taxi25
    Free Member

Have you bought a lottery ticket for tonight yet ? Your luck has to change soon !!!

james28
    Free Member

Nice to speak to you tim hopefully lbs owner will make good on his word.Will keep you up to speed likewise if you hear anything

jambo13
    Free Member

+1 on the 29er idea, I’m 6ft 6 and haven’t looked back and neither have any of my mates your/our size.

The Lapierre XR looks tempting…. Sounds like you have a decent LBS

timg147
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like a 29er it will be. Hopefully the lbs guy will sort it out.

timg147
    Free Member

Very constructive edward2000. Pity you couldn’t be bothered to suggest an alternative

Speshpaul

“Does he have any XL 29ers left he can let you have a go on?”

Sorry i did have a little laugh at that, in the light of what happen last night maybe not 🙂

Anyways also have a look at a Kinesis FF29 your man will have an account with upgrade. very nice alloy hardtail, they are also doing some deals with Xfusion forks.

adsh
    Free Member

Bugger the wheel size make sure you get XT cranks and XTR shifters, mechs and cassette etc.

You didn’t mention wheels – make sure you get as good as you had on them too.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Was this a Tamworth based shop.?

mboy
    Free Member

Bugger the wheel size make sure you get XT cranks and XTR shifters, mechs and cassette etc.

Cos having XTR is waaaaaay more important than buying a bike that fits, suits the riding you will do, and that you enjoy riding! 😕

This forum never ceases to amaze…

FWIW, I’m 5ft10 and love my 29er. But I’ve also ridden some bad ones. At my height 29ers are still very much Marmite bikes, you love them or hate them. At your height, I don’t know anyone that has ridden 29ers and not preferred them to a 26″ wheeled bike.

adsh
    Free Member

What has wheel size got to do with fit? Did I say he should change the type of bike? This forum never ceases to amaze me in how people misconstrue stuff.

My point was he’s spent a small fortune on high quality components and should ensure he doesn’t lose out just because the bike offered will be newer and have larger wheels. FWIW this is likely to be hard to achieve because the ‘value’ of his bike is likely to be low being used and the cost of a replacement to similar spec is likely to 2-4x higher to get a similar spec groupset.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I was convinced that my next bike would be a 29er, but after testing one round Glentress I just didn’t take to it. Being 6′ 2″ it certainly looked better, but not my cup of tea. However, loads love them so make sure you get a test ride to be sure.

james28
    Free Member

Yes it was the shop in Tamworth both mine and tims bikes were stolen while in for service

bellefied
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and went from a 26er to a 29er. I loved the 26er and it felt really light and nippy but I always felt like I was sat way on top of it especially when cornering at speed.

My 29er (orange clockwork) feels a hell of a lot better from a size point of view, I feel less like I’ve borrowed my sons bike and more like I’m riding a bike built for me. The cockpit feels more sorted, it does feel more like you are sitting in it rather than on it. Its only a small difference but it just feels right.

I must admit, I think part of it is the geometry of the clockwork, and possibly the longer travel, but its hard to separate the whole feel of the bike into its component parts.

It doesn’t feel as nippy as a 26er and you can feel the additional angular momentum need to start to turn those wheels, but its so much smoother than the 26er and it can climb anything, its not just about having a bigger footprint to get you over roots and loose soil, it just climbs easier and faster, even on a dry flat surface – although as I said, you can feel the additional angular momentum needed to start off, and it may be that that angular momentum makes it want to roll once it starts so also helps with the climbing.

Downhill and on the flat its obviously faster and although I thought I’d miss my 26er for the slower more technical stuff, I don’t.

Don’t ever think I’d go back to a 26er now… even if they were any available 😉

If I was doing jumps / drops / etc then I’d worry about the strength of the larger wheels, but I’m not so I don’t worry, I just ride it.

bellefied
    Free Member

actually meant to say, try out a few first before you make the decision. What works for me or others may not work for you.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Yes it was the shop in Tamworth both mine and tims bikes were stolen while in for service

Small world. Literally round the corner from me. Unlucky.

badllama
    Free Member

Well I was VERY sceptically about all the market Bullshit about 29ers but after buying a 29er HT (Spesh Carve Comp) I love it cracking bike ideal for my commute, local trail, canal path rides also it’s ideally for miss llama to have a ride on in local parks etc..

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Definitely try a few before you commit.

Agree with bellefied above.

I tried a Specialized 29er first and it felt like I was piloting the QE2. Subsequently rode the Orange Clockwork and it felt just right. Not as quick off the line as my previous 26er, but as soon as I’m moving the 29ers advantages show (for me anyway). 26ers just feel way too twitchy now. Admittedly my last bike was a 1999 Trek Y5 set up for xc racing.
    I’m 6′ 4″ and ride a large with a long seat post.

[Edit] Just goes to show personal opinion on feel. badllama ^ That’s the Specialized that I tried.

clubber
    Free Member

Try one and if you like it go for it but don’t buy into the silliness that you have to because you’re tall. I’m taller than you and like riding both my 29er and 26″ bikes. They’re just different, not fundamentally better or worse.

sideshow
    Free Member

Imagine overnight the trail pixies came out and did a miraculous amount of work such that all your familiar local trails are rebuilt into something exciting you haven’t ridden yet.

That’s what getting a 29er is like 🙂

timg147
    Free Member

Think I should give up on bikes. Bought a bike off eBay for the missus arranged for it to be picked up and delivered to me and the van bringing it down has broken down on the motorway. Is someone trying to tell me something?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘My bike stolen in haul from LBS – what to get as replacement’ is closed to new replies.