Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • My bike sounds like a tractor
  • astura
    Free Member

Can a cheap chain make the bike sound like poop?

I have a new Slx m7000 rear mech, i cant remember the cassette but i think its something like Aero also new and a new Gusset bb and nee chain which is KMC , i got all of this from the bike shop as recommended but when i ride it it feels a bit gritty and once i get into any mud what so ever it really sounds like a tractor. Any ideas iv looked all round and cant see why it would be doing it so wondering if its the chain?

jimplops

Top jockey wheel rubbing on the cassette?

astura
    Free Member

Hmm i take a look at that

astura
    Free Member

Nah its not that

Yak

It’s the chaining. Must be worn and not meshing properly with the new chain.

N/W in particular wear fast and make tractor noises with new chains if worn.

bigblackshed

Chain routed incorrectly through the rear mech?

fadda

Playing card correctly pegged to the seat stay, and flicking in your spokes?

JAG

Chain routed incorrectly through the rear mech?

^ this – I’ve had it wrong a couple of times and then the chain rubs on the Mech’ frame between the jockey wheels 8)

astura
    Free Member

Its def routed correctly, i have a narrow wide ride up the front which was a little worn not excessive tho, is it a case that this could be causing it but over time the chain will adjust and the noise will soften?

Yak

I would change it. It won’t be retaining that well either.

They just don’t last well. Well alu ones don’t. I’d be looking at the sram steel one next.

tthew

narrow wide ride up the front which was a little worn

Bingo! The answer is always the bit you didn’t change. It may well get a bit quieter with time, because it’ll wear the new chain faster as it’s not meshing properly. Which will in turn wear the cassette faster, and the jockey wheels.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘My bike sounds like a tractor’ is closed to new replies.