Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • My bike in the alps, will I die?
  • FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I took my 2007 Reign X0 to the Alps last year, no issues whatsoever. In fact the only thing holding me back was the step up in riding and the fear and vertigo on some of the black runs (and chair lifts) 😯

Dual Ply tyres ideal both super tacky, Minion front High Roller rear
    loads of spare brake pads
    Full face and some padding

We drove so had plenty of spares – wheelsets / tubes / tools etc but as it turned out did not need any

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Have the courses developed much technically since 2005? It seems these days everyone is running slack bikes. I was fine on a 70.5 HA Stumpy FSR 100mm with a DH wheelset, my only bike at the time, but I thought of it as a bit like using a dual/4X bike. It was seriously tiring on the hands though.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The trails might not have, but riders and their kit have. More armour on display, more full facers, bigger bikes etc – sort of peer pressure really, I can see why people ask.

Look what bikes are used for 4X and ask yourself again if a Reign isnt bigger enough…..

But, probably more comfy on a big bike, depending on what you’re riding down. Personally I go out there for long, techie footpath type descents, rather than the pistes, so a “trail” bike is perfect for me (and adequate for the odd day in the bike parks).

10 weeks in total over the last 2 years or so, no torn tyres (single ply HRs), 3 flats between 2 of us, no damaged mechs and a set of pads will do me for a least a few weeks in the dry.

Go and have fun.

legend
    Free Member

big yim – Member
    All the mates are telling me I need a full dh rig as mine will fall to bits

Have you tried replacement mates?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Less armour id say

bigyim
    Free Member

legend I havent got the receipt so they are non returnable i’m afraid.

mrmoofo

TBH, depending on where you go, you don’t even need to ride full suspension. But it makes it a nicer ride out. Just make sure you have several sets of brake pads with you. France / Ch do have shops – but you need them when you need them.

Try not to ride down covering the brakes or with them slightly on , all the time … things get very hot.

Full face lid ….

Other than that you are good to go
    Re the full down hill rig – sure if you only do the gravity based stuff – but on most AM trails there is always a bit of uphill …

bigyim
    Free Member

the 909 tyres I’ve got are dual ply, so sounds like all I need are mech hangers and dh tubes

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Yim i have got a 2.35 hr super tacky u can have think its only single ply tho

legend
    Free Member

big yim – Member
    legend I havent got the receipt so they are non returnable i’m afraid.

Ah shite, not the first owner eh?

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

You won’t die, you’ll just have to go a bit slower, maybe. My mate took a Pace RC300 with 63mm travel forks there once. He survived, his forks didn’t though due to a silly mistake.

Any bike will be ok, it’s the speed that varies.

bigyim
    Free Member

not the first owner and are shop soiled

vondally
    Free Member

Giant reigns are solid bikes with an excellent suspension system………not so long ago they were an alps bike so you will be fine but as everyone has said
    tyres
    tubes
    brakes
    rear mech
    hanger

Are you comfortable on that bike…..if yes the enjoy

there is loads of marketing guff about what you need……..when we were ther lots of lads on big bikes full face passed downhill by an elderly say 65 diminuative wiry local on a sunn with v brakes and 63 mm travel forks….not what you ride but how!

watching people arrive with a shed load of kit is intresting…..

enjoy

jambalaya
    Free Member

Totally depends on your riding style / aggressiveness. My 06 Reign (with 150 fox fork) was my only bike and I took it to the Alps 3 times and didn’t die. That being said I’m pretty cautious, no jumps to speak of.

If your mates are all on DH rigs they are likely to ride rougher / bigger trails which you may find hard work.

Just get some bigger tyres (eg double ply HR’s) and spare brake pads and have a go, I mean how bad can it be 😉

rob1984p
    Free Member

The lesser the bike the more you’ll improve I reckon. I’m lucky enough to have spent eight weeks in PDS over three consecutive years on the following; Giant AC Team, Yeti ASX and Orange 223 the first two years bikes were the most enjoyable and had far less travel. I’ll go back one day.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d say you’ll be fine, I’ve ridden Megavalance on an Anthem with 120 up front and Hope Race X2 brakes and crest rims. Sure, I fitted 2.3 tyres, 180mm rotors and dropped the saddle, but I’m alive!

MrTrump
    Free Member

The only problem you will have is your mates will be a lot faster than you due to the difference in bikes, this could result in you beating yourself up trying to keep up on the downhill courses as they can be a tad rough. You don’t need downhill tubes in your bike, I tried them for the first year and haven’t used them since, only one puncture in 4 years.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve been to Chamonix three times on my Kona Hei Hei, first of all with Pace RC35s and then Rebas, I was never the last down and I’m a very average rider.
    Your skill levels will likely improve way beyond your mates.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have nothing to add about its worthiness but feel the need to say that is the nicest looking Reign that I have ever seen.

bigyim
    Free Member

Cheers I ache. I painted it in the shed!

juan
    Free Member

Get some dual-ply High Rollers and a couple of spare mech hangers and you’ll be fine. Your mates sound like willy-waving louts

That and maybe a dropper. I ride the alps most of the time on a hardtail, or a full sus. Most important are strong wheels and very good tyres.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m going to court controversy by suggesting some offset bushings. My friend really enjoyed riding his reign in the Portes du Soleil, but he did suffer a little when the going got steep. A good fork and brake service isn’t a bad investment of time.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘My bike in the alps, will I die?’ is closed to new replies.