Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • My basement is leaking HELP!!!
  • mrchrist

So my basement has been leaking for the last 3 weeks. Getting between 5 and 10 litres a day but seems to have slowed a bit at the moment. The following has been done so far:

1. The water board did a chlorine and ammonia test to rule it out being fresh or sewage (although it stank like sewage)
    2. Water board did a dye test on all there drains nearby and nothing came through
    3. The council did a dye test on my guttering run off which they helpfully directed into the foundations of my house (no dye has come into the basement since – about 10 days ago)
    4. I have drilled a hole my basement floor so the water can drain out (short term solution)

I think 2 is still the cause as we had a load of snow this winter which has effectively been channelled into the foundations of my house and is slowly leaking into the basement. The council won’t do a thing until the dye shows in the basement leak.

Anybody got any thoughts on what to do next? 😕

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have a house I rent out in Chester and the basement has had lots of water in this year, we did similar tests and i am assured it is not a drain or pipe that is cracked but that it is simply the water table is so high this year. We are monitoring it as the weather imporves. The garden is about 2 feet above the rear of the house and we think its just sodden.

Things to do next:
    remove anything from basement and monitor.

Moses

It depends where you are.
    Manchester is notorious for leaky basements, caused by the long-term rise in the water table following the closue of many factories’ private boreholes.
    Are you in a similar area?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘My basement is leaking HELP!!!’ is closed to new replies.