Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My baby is ill/fever and all i can do is watch, gutting
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

14 month old boy and I’ve been with him the last 2 days. Other than cabin fever I’m gutted i can’t do anything other than give him calpol and keep him hydrated. He won’t eat, play or communicate, just a lot of lying down, staring into space. His nose is totally blocked so he’s struggling to drink from his bottle. Got a docs appointment tomorrow, but I’m so sad watching him. Any parental advice? Bear in mind I’ve had minimal adult contact for 2 days!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Any parental advice?

It’s hard and it doesn’t get any easier, believe me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Karvol on his pillow/front of his peejays. It’s like an Olbas oil for sprogs.

globalti
    Free Member

Um….is he teething? It upsets some babies quite badly.

If it’s a cold he’ll be though the worst by tomorrow or Thursday.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I know how it feels. It’s harsh feeling so useless when all you want to do is make it all better.

My prescribed distraction would be to cuddle up on the sofa and go through the Anthill MTB films. I found myself doing exactly that when my boy and me came down with the same stomach bug, on his suggestion!

Smudger666

Been there, done that.

If he can stand the heat, steam him – put the shower on hot and sit him on your knee on the loo seat – should help clear his nose a bit and help breathe. olbas oil in the shower at the same time if you have any.

hatter

There are few things more miserable than a sick infant, they don’t know what’s going on, they don’t know if it’ll ever end, they just know that it sucks.

Just try to remember that he will get better and that kids who catch bugs now generally have a better immune system later on, it’s small consolation in the short term though, bloody tough.

My only practical advice is to try to get all the sleep you can and if it all gets a bit much just put him down in his cot and walk out of the room, walk out of the house, take three deep breaths and then go back in again no actual harm will come to him in that time and it just may keep you sane.

MoreCashThanDash

Can’t offer anything other than sympathy, having been there a few times with our two.

They are now 12 and 8. They still make me feel helpless and useless with love and worry at times. 😐

kimbers

Can get saline sprays to help unblock noses, not pleasant for the kid but gets the snot out!

sweaman2
    Free Member

You don’t mention if he’s running a fever?

If he is hot then I find for sweajnr1 that cuddle with skin to skin seems to help comfort if nothing else. Also yoghurt mixed with some sweet fruit is the only thing he’ll eat at times like that.

I think every parent will have been there and it sucks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My baby is ill/fever and all i can do is watch, gutting’ is closed to new replies.