Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • My 8 year old daughters teacher says. .
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Don’t carry scissors pointing down because if you fall, you could stab someone else. Always carry them pointing upwards.
    Has anyone else experienced a student being told this because it’s the exact opposite of what I was taught and makes not much sense.

MoreCashThanDash

You always carry scissors holding the blades. Doesn’t matter what happens then if you fall.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Best thing to do is throw them to where you want them to be next.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    twinw4ll
    Free Member

Handles first of course.

jon1973
    Free Member

unknown
    Free Member

It couldn’t be that your 8 year old is telling you a little fib could it?

gears_suck
    Free Member

So far I’m interpreting a no then.

gears_suck
    Free Member

It couldn’t be that your 8 year old is telling you a little fib could it?

I had considered that but the nature of how she disclosed it and further questioning leads me to trust that she is telling the truth.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Your 8 year old’s teacher obviously has a good TA who always carries the scissors for them.

Cougar

Who on earth carries scissors vertically? Is she getting mixed up with the Olympic Torch?

singlespeedstu

Tell her to use a razor blade instead of those dangerous scissors.

project
    Free Member

If the child carries scissors downwards then the child could stab another child, then it may be construed in law that she stabbed the child, where as if she carried the scissors some other way then she stabs her self its a self inflicted injuryless hassle for the school.

and when i was in school all scissors where blunt ended.

gee
    Free Member

Just count yourself lucky your daughter’s school has the budget to purchase scissors.

In all seriousness one of the reasons I left the state system was having to buy my own scissors and glue for use in lessons.

GB

onehundredthidiot

…this is when we should use an apostrophe. ?????

chewkw
    Free Member

project – Member

If the child carries scissors downwards then the child could stab another child, then it may be construed in law that she stabbed the child, where as if she carried the scissors some other way then she stabs her self its a self inflicted injuryless hassle for the school.

If this is true then the teacher is stoopid. 😯

anagallis_arvensis

in all seriousness one of the reasons I left the state system was having to buy my own scissors and glue for use in lessons

True, I have to buy pens pencils glue and board pens.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Haha Stu. I’ll provide some cut throat razors for use in the class. She can close that when she’s walking around. Problem solved.

garage-dweller

What the hay?

I always tell my boys to carry anything sharp points down and where possible grip the blade not the handle. My reasoning is if you end up stabbing yourself in a fall its better to do it in a leg than the chest or head. This is what I was taught to do as a nipper (how to carry I mean not how to stick screwdrivers in myself).

If some one can convince me otherwise I would be happy to hear other ideas.

barkm
    Free Member

Always thought this a bit of a made up nonsense, truth is when you fall you will automatically and naturally just let go of whatever you are holding. But yes charging around with the stabby bit first isn’t wise.

On the subject of things teachers say, my garden backs onto a High School playing field, and I work from home, hence it’s an endless source of intrigue listening to the various goings on.
    One day a PE teacher on a particularly hot day was chastising a group of girls for complaining that they were too hot. They were actually fortunate, the teacher asserted, that their uniform was black, as this would help keep them cool. Hence why you see Black Hijabs.

Most amusing. But it did remind me of some of the duff info I received at school.

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit I’ve never thought about how to carry scissors – clearly I should pay more attention.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I now always carry ketchup bottles upside down ever since I fell over naked carrying one. Try explaining to staff at A&E how you got a ketchup bottle stuck up your arse.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Project – you’re on the money there matey. A child being stabbed (by themselves) and bleeding out would definitely be ‘a self inflicted injuryless (sic) hassle for the school’. Clearly you don’t work anywhere near a school, probably a good thing given your grasp of the English language. Any injury these days in school or otherwise is apportioned blame. Accidents as such no longer exist.

mudshark
    Free Member

They were actually fortunate, the teacher asserted, that their uniform was black, as this would help keep them cool. Hence why you see Black Hijabs.

Sounds like quite a bright teacher then as there’s some truth here – though an odd thing to say for sure but teachers aren’t so sympathetic IME. Black clothing helps radiate heat.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s quite possibly more complicated than that. It’s not the clothing that’s hot, it’s you, and the clothes aren’t bonded to your skin. Plus you are generating your own body heat in addition to insolation.

So a white shirt might be reflecting heat back from your body into you. Or it might be transmitting more infra-red than a black shirt. Hard to tell…

hot_fiat

Black clothing helps radiate heat.

Sort of. As any poor sod who’s studied thermodynamics will tell you; ‘it depends where you draw the boundary’.

Scissors: carried by the blades, handles pointing up, lest you want to end up eyeballess like a kid I went to primary school with.

cheez0
    Free Member

When working as a butcher the law is that if you walk around with a knife in your hand it should be pointing down at your side.. with a loose grip.

if you get bumped or slip (common in a bustling busy environment), the knife drops from your soft grip onto the floor by your foot. Safe.

same for anything else thats pointy.

kayak23

bigyinn
    Free Member

How?

DezB
    Free Member

Best advice is, if you’re carrying scissors, don’t fall over.

anonymouse
    Free Member

You can minimise the risk time frame when carrying scissors by running with them.

Northwind

I reduce the risk by throwing the scissors across the room.

stuey
    Free Member

I tell my class there’s only one way to carry scissors…

kayak23 photo proves someone wasn’t listening

ell_tell
    Free Member

One of the best ways of reducing risk is simply to eliminate the hazard.

I’ve removed all the scissors from my house & instead we use our fingers to cut paper & open packaging.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘My 8 year old daughters teacher says. .’ is closed to new replies.