Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • My 5 mile race
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure at least one of you is mildly interested to see how I got on in my 5 mile race, so I will tell you all.

I finished in 42:48 and was 100th out of 157, with an average pace of 8:34. It was not a particularly great run from me, I was somewhat intimidated by the distance and did not go as fast as I probably could have done. During the last half a mile I picked up a lot and felt great, which makes me think I could have got a lot closer to my 40 min target.

You should be able to see the full analysis here:

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/molgrips/ci6bvjd1rs7bf4cv

Thanks for listening.

Jamie
    Free Member

We have races in the UK y’know 😉

surfer
    Free Member

Thats a lot of “analysis” 😯

I am much lower tech and usually follow the “run till your eyeballs pop” method.

If you do some longer runs even up to double the distance (slower pace of course) once a week you will feel more confident in “attacking” the distance and you should find your time will come down.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am much lower tech and usually follow the “run till your eyeballs pop” method.

I wanted to make sure my lungs didn’t fall out before the end of the race. I’m sure next year, having done it twice now I’ll be a lot better off.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m sure at least one of you

If only you’d listened to my training advice…

Well done though! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I was kind of expecting that kind of time to be honest. 2 minutes adrift doesn’t seem like much but it really is a lot in running terms I feel.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s a genuine well done ^^
    You’ve set me bench mark to try and beat through HIIT alone.

More to the point is the internet broken in America? 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

I did mostly HIIT for running though – very effective.

What’s that about the broken internet? My link not work?

epicyclo

Well done

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s that about the broken internet?

Maybe you were just too busy / having too much fun to post on here!

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s that about the broken internet? My link not work?

I believe it is a comment on your lack of posting while in the Americas.

Edit: Too slow. Guess my internet is broken as well….well that and TSY seems to live in the internet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haha, Jamie I used to look up to you on here… always getting the first post… always coming in with a witty comment…

Jamie
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Haha, Jamie I used to look up to you on here… always getting the first post… always coming in with a witty comment…

It’s like Highlander….there can be only one.

I await you coming round to chop my head off with a big magic sword……

…possibly while wearing a Christopher Lambert mask.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I did have internet.. I just couldn’t bring myself to post on here when I wasn’t bored at work 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1

Done 10k (errmm must over 6 miles) in 39m15s (not racing) so hoping to better that but it has to be on borrrrring roads. And flat ones too. ZZzzzzZZzz.

What sort of terrain Mol? Enjoyable or just painful?

molgrips
    Free Member

The race in question was flat urban streets. Which is what I’d been training for really.

Thing is I’m so bad at running that I have to give myself every advantage by training properly and pacing etc. Otherwise I’ll be walking.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The time isn’t bad at all. Stop beating yourself up.

I would be interested to see how quick the usual suspects are – the ones that always give advice on any running thread…

All 10k off road races:

5th/700 42 mins dead
    5th/120 48 mins (extremely hilly/rocky terrain)
    10th/150 49 mins (as above with obstacles too)
    15th/170 48 mins (same course as above but with more competitive runners)

Timed 10k run on flat but off road terrain – 39m 15s Would hope for sub 38mins if racing.

And as part of two tris:

1st/40 off road tri (about 22 mins, 5k extremely hilly)
    4th/140 (about 18 mins, just under 5k, hilly but road)

Don’t take running very seriously – run twice a week and do the odd race here and there.

Not interested in big distances – don’t have the time or inclination to train for them.

molgrips
    Free Member

The time isn’t bad at all. Stop beating yourself up.

Nah I’m not really unhappy with it – after all it’s the first time that I’d really run that distance. I’ll do a few more and get to know myself better. I didn’t stop tho which is good.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I’d like to say a big well done mol 😀

many a forum user would’ve given up, walked to the kebab van then argued online about how some runner with shoes too good for them got in the way and ruined it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

I ran for most of it with my brother in law’s dad, who apparently was a 2h30 marathon runner in his day. He trained up last year and did 37m but had been only biking this year. He did slow a bit to run with me apparently but was still sore.

He’s been training for the 90 mile (by bike) Race the Lake which is in August and might be my next target. I think he did 4h30.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I would be interested to see how quick the usual suspects are – the ones that always give advice on any running thread…

I’m pretty slow and don’t really race, but as you’re interested
    1.49 1/2 marathon
    22 min 5K
    Dunno about 10K, but I’d guess about 46 (that would be for road, no idea off-road at the mo)

surfer
    Free Member

Doesnt mean the advice is good or bad depending on their PB’s though.

nickc

Nice one ‘grips. Good effort 😀

Arfur: 1’35.
    10K: sub 40 on a good day, on my daily 10k run about 42.
    8k/5mile: last one I did ’bout 31mins something

djglover
    Free Member

38:39 pb for 10K here, 1:29:29 half

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nick – you run 10k EVERY DAY?! 😯

Surfer – nope but then I’d sooner take MTB advice from someone I know is a proven quick rider than a pie munching armchair warrior. Same with surfing (just been for a surf – flipping eck it’s nippy but waves were good)!

Cheers for replying to those who have – interesting stuff.

nickc

Mostly. I’ll miss the odd one here and there, but pretty much.

phil.w
    Free Member

Well done Molgrips. As you correctly said doing a few is key to knowing how hard you can push it.

That site looks good for data logging, is it free?.

Surf-Mat – I’ve only done trail races so the time’s aren’t really comparable. I do have a question about your Mudclaws if they are the 272’s?

surfer
    Free Member

Edit:: Willy waving!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Phil – mine are the chunkier ones. I think they are 330s. The minging orange and grey ones.

Agree about trail times – hence my times varying so much. Some of my trail runs have included flights of steps (one has 116 then a massive hill), streams to wade up, tree stumps to jump over, etc! Others have been obstacle free but still pretty hilly.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Blimey surfer – speedy runner!

Do you surf as well (given the name)?!

surfer
    Free Member

No dont surf, can barely swim!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just an internet “surfer” then (your STW name)?!

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s not a bad effort at all, nicely done.

phil.w
    Free Member

Some of my trail runs have included flights of steps

Did one at the weekend with a km along chesil beach (pebbly hell), great way to finish a race :twisted:.

molgrips
    Free Member

That site looks good for data logging, is it free?

Yep. It’s a download for Nokia smartphones (maybe others, dunno) and it’s about the best thing ever. Only downside is that you need some kind of wrist-strap arrangement I think to be able to see it whilst you run. It can do heart rate but I don’t have the chest strap.

kaesae
    Free Member

Well done, it’s good to train different muscle groups and running and hill walking are good to keep a balanced physique with the biking.

😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘My 5 mile race’ is closed to new replies.