Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MX5 radiator drain plug seized and stripped?
  • oldnpastit

The radiator drain plug on my MX5 won’t come out, and in the process of trying to remove it, I think I’ve stripped it.

I’m going to try a mole wrench on it (and replace it) but are there any other ways to attack it, in case that doesn’t work?

Worst case I remove the lower radiator hose, but I’d prefer not to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i know its too late now but a top tip is ALWAYS remove the lower radiator hose and NEVER use the drain plug.

What you are experiancing is almost standard when you try on something thats already had its first coolant change.

when you say stripped it do you mean rounded off the head and its still stuck or do you actually mean stripped it (its rotating freely but doesnt seem to be coming out )

if the former – see point 1 and leave it well alone.

if the latter that will require more cunning.

oldnpastit

The former. The slots are all worn out so I can’t turn it. Ok, maybe best is just to forget about the drain plug.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep let sleeping dogs lie.

for sure safer and better to drop the hose.

oldnpastit

OK, coolant out…

Now, how do I replace the radiator matrix?

It’s an NB, one of the bolts holding the annoying pipes to the matrix is refusing to come out, and it’s a pain to get to.

I wonder if I can just cut through the pipe and replace with a section of hose.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MX5 radiator drain plug seized and stripped?’ is closed to new replies.