Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MX Comp ETA – air??
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm that an '04 MX Comp ETA is air sprung in the right (non ETA) leg? The marz tech blurb seems to imply so, but the manual doesn't say, just telling you that air preload should be set 0-15psi, and if air spring should be set 30psi+ depending on weight.

I would just crack them open and look, but my dad has my socket set at the mo 🙄

I adjusted preload until sag seemed right for my gf, but when I checked with a gauge it was down to 4 psi, and they feel very soft for me (even considering I am fair bit heavier than her), which makes me think they are air sprung, and so need more like 35psi in them.

Just don't want to over pressurise them if they're not air sprung!!

theotherjonv

pretty sure yes. From what you say there is an air valve on top so that should confirm it.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Well, doesn't confirm it, as I have got coil sprung Z1's that still use air preload 🙂 but it's obviously much lower pressure (0-15psi).

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think (but can't remember) that they have coils in both legs with an air assist in the left hand (riders view) leg? (The one without ETA that adjusts rebound)

For my wife we ended up taking the spring out of the non-eta leg as otherwise there was no potential for fine tuning.

I would think if you have a valve for entering air they are probably air sprung to some extent….

If the sag is fine for your GF with both coils and no-air then I can't see the issue? We also ended up switching to a lighter oil to help with the rebound damping.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Well, this is it, I think they are still a bit too soft, but she isn't really advanced enough on a bike to tell herself.

They are definitely far too soft for me, but then I am ~20kgs heavier.

I'll try to get her sitting on bike again and play around with sag.

My thoughts were that if only one leg is air, then you could let too much air out, but still have reasonable sag level for a light person due to the spring/ETA in the other leg, so wanted to pump the air side up a bit and see how it went. Just didn't want to be over inflating if they are only air preload!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MX Comp ETA – air??’ is closed to new replies.