Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mustn’t forget to buy my poppy tomorrow
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Reconciliation – S Sassoon

When you are standing at your hero’s grave
    Or near some homeless village where he died
    Remember through you my heart’s rekindling pride
    The German soldiers who were loyal and brave

Men fought like brutes; and hideous things were done
    And you have nourished hatred, harsh and blind
    But in that Golgotha perhaps you”ll find
    The mothers of the men who killed your son

Lest we forget….

(Sorry wrong forum)

somafunk

Suicide in the Trenches always hits me hard

I knew a simple soldier boy
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you’ll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

leffeboy

🙁

ajantom

Wars are terrible (I’d use far worse language to describe them if it was allowed on here), and I feel intense sorrow and compassion for all those caught up in them, but I stopped wearing a poppy a few years ago.

This Independent article by Robert Fisk was the catalyst for my decision. I feel that nowadays the symbol has been co-opted by many people who have no idea what it means, and just wear it almost as a fashion statement and to seem ‘patriotic’.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wear a wristband but I use the same one every year, I still chuck my £1 in the box though.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

ajantom, Lest We Forget is why I am currently wearing a poppy

tjagain

wot ajantom said. There is the white poppy if you prefer but that also has its political angles.

I will observe remembrance. I won’t wear a red poppy.

ajantom

I won’t forget. There are better ways to do it than wearing a piece of red and green paper.

This isn’t/wasn’t meant to cast aspersions on those here who do wear them. Sorry if it seemed that way. It’s a personal choice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always happy to donate, did some work for the RBL a number of years ago. Fantastic organisation, cares for and looks after more than ex military also extends to families too.
    Don’t wear a poppy though, always donate more than required.

The Tower Of London Poppy Display made me think more about the state of the world than I expected..

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Agree ajantom, for each person that wears one for the sake of it I hope there’s one that wears it for the right reasons.

gwurk
    Free Member

Hate war
    Hate killing
    Hate patriotism
    Hate the political systems of the world
    So why on earth would I wear a poppy?

There are no heroes in war. Just poor ordinary people killed and forced to kill others by their own leaders.

dannyh
    Free Member

I buy and wear one each year. It’s my choice and I am aware of what it does and does not stand for. I also want my kids to understand this.

For example, at the church service a couple of years ago one of the hymns was ‘I vow to thee my country’ and I really felt this struck the wrong note. It’s not about the tub-thumping stuff as this is what often causes these conflicts.

BruceWee

That Joss Stone abomination of one of the most powerful anti-war songs ever written made me realise that Remembrance Day is not about the people who died, it’s about reassuring future generations that it’s a good thing to lay down their lives.

Maybe instead of wearing poppys and watching politicians sentimentalising war we should just stay home and watch Johnny Got His Gun instead.

perditus
    Free Member

Just another mastabatory aid for the Bexiteer/Kipper/EDL/Daily Mail Readers these days.

I have one of these for my grandfather, Pilot Officer OLR Hills, on my office wall and spare him a thought every day.

anagallis_arvensis

Every year politicians queue up to lay poppy wreaths and then send more people to die…not sure they get it.

dannyh
    Free Member

That Joss Stone abomination of one of the most powerful anti-war songs ever written made me realise that Remembrance Day is not about the people who died, it’s about reassuring future generations that it’s a good thing to lay down their lives.

It’s only going to go that way if the likes of us let it.

That’s the really sick thing about bigots branding the non-wearing of a poppy as ‘unpatriotic’. It inherently ties patriotism into the act of wearing one and co-opts it, edging towards nationalism.

dannyh
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Every year politicians queue up to lay poppy wreaths and then send more people to die…not sure they get it.

POSTED 25 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

I think a more fitting way for leaders to mark the day would be to carry around their neck a heavy portrait of a dead young soldier or civilian from another nation.

scotroutes

In summary then – “stop encouraging them”?

irc

I remember my grandfather who survived the war and lived until 1970. One of probably a fairly small number to survive 4 years in the infantry on the Western Front from October 1914 until the end of the war.

His bothers died in the war in 1916, 1917, and 1st Jan 1919 (troopship sinking 40 miles from home)- the Iolair disaster.

https://stv.tv/news/features/1388834-iolaire-disaster-stornoway-sea-tragedy-to-be-remembered/

theotherjonv

for each person that wears one for the sake of it I hope there’s one that wears it for the right reasons

I hope I wear mine for the right reasons. It’s not a fashion statement that’s for sure.

I can also be patriotic and love my country without being a warmonger.

footflaps

Poppy facism month, my favourite time of the year, not!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I wear mine with pride to remember family and friends who died during conflicts and suffered afterwards. Also to raise funds for the RBL who do great work to support those who have served and not getting the support they should from the government.
    Having seen the effects of war first hand and lost friends I served with, the poppy doesn’t make it glamorous.
    If you want to wear a poppy, then do so and if I you don’t I don’t mind either. It’s your choice.
    Saying it promotes war or its for the Brexit, EDL lot to get excited about I do find disrespectful.

tjagain

That’s the really sick thing about bigots branding the non-wearing of a poppy as ‘unpatriotic’. It inherently ties patriotism into the act of wearing one and co-opts it, edging towards nationalism.

The red poppy has gone far too far down that road for me to be comfortable with it

It should be about all dead of all wars – not just the british military dead

anagallis_arvensis

Saying it promotes war or its for the Brexit, EDL lot to get excited about I do find disrespectful.

You may find it disrespectful but that doesnt make it untrue and its exactly your kind of language that helps promote the view that we should respect the poppy.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you want to wear a poppy, then do so and if I you don’t I don’t mind either

Where did I say you must respect the red poppy?

gwurk
    Free Member

er… No. You actually can’t.

Not if you have the vaguest understanding of the history of the UK with regards to war.

Drac

And so it begins.

dannyh
    Free Member

gwurk – Member

er… No. You actually can’t.
    Not if you have the vaguest understanding of the history of the UK with regards to war.

POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Sorry, but that’s cobblers.

He could be talking about loving the landscapes, fish and chips, test matches at Lord’s etc.

Classic conflation and not even that difficult to unpick.

theotherjonv

exactly. The great inventions we’ve given the world. The music. The tireless campaigners, suffragettes, wilberforce…….

I can also if you want to go there, understand why IMHO we had to go to war twice in the last century, eg: against the threats being posed by fascism. I can also disagree with the need to go to war in the latter part, but still reflect and commemorate the people who gave their lives in doing so.

I can love my country without being a warmonger.

CountZero

Just another mastabatory aid for the Bexiteer/Kipper/EDL/Daily Mail Readers these days.

In your opinion, maybe, but some here will find anything an excuse to get all hot under the collar over Brexit.
    I wear a poppy, I’ve been trying to find somewhere selling the little enamel ones this year, but I’ve seen none.
    I wear it in memory of a relative of mine whose name is on the headstone of a grave holding the remains of my great-grandparents in a tiny graveyard a few miles away, I have his pocket knife as well. He was killed at the battle of Arras just over a century ago, aged twenty.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I predict five pages, and at least one ban.

gwurk
    Free Member

*sigh*
    When one does not know the definition of a word it’s probably best practise not to use that word to describe oneself. Nevermind defend others use of it.

gwurk – Member
    Hate war
    Hate killing
    Hate patriotism
    Hate the political systems of the world
    So why on earth would I wear a poppy?

There are no heroes in war. Just poor ordinary people killed and forced to kill others by their own leader

Are you unhappy that you don’t live in Nazi Britain?

theotherjonv

So what is your definition? Don’t just *sigh* and criticise, if you think I can’t love my country despite admitting it has several – no, many – faults, then educate me about where I’m going wrong.

As my wife lies beside me, keeping me awake as she snores….. can I also not be devoted to her because she too isn’t perfect?

redthunder
    Free Member

31/31 For November by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

slowoldman

There are no heroes in war. Just poor ordinary people killed and forced to kill others by their own leaders.

These are the people remembered. What’s wrong with that ?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mustn’t forget to buy my poppy tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.