Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Must do rides in the Lakes
  • breninbeener

I am travelling from N Wales for a few days riding in a fortnight. The riding we have planned is Whinlatter and 7 Stanes. However the guys im with fancy a non trail centre route for the Sunday. We are all pretty fit and competent, riding modern full sus bikes and are happy with fast and flowy singletrack that trail centre reds and blacks provide.
    Can you recommend some really great routes that we can chose from please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash or Hellvellyn

martinhutch

Whinlatter is only about 12 miles for both sides of the red, with a bit of the blue closed for felling at the moment it seems. So you could fit in the Borrowdale Bash in the afternoon, if you were keen.

It’s worth picking up the Vertebrate Graphics Lakes guide. Most of the routes I’ve tried out of there are pretty decent and more or less all-weather.

Junkyard
    Free Member

to quote going to the lakes to ride Whinlatter is like going in to a brothel for a kiss- IMHO its not even a good trail centre

Borrowdale is strange IMHO the descents are great but half of the ride is pointless.

I dont think you can find the natural equivalent of red [and I am not trying to do a natural v trails debate here ] so probably best to say how happy you are with rocky and technical, hike a bike or whether you wish to pedal it all.

Skiddaw if you are in that area IMHO

breninbeener

We would all prefer to ride, but as we arent in the area very often, then a hike a bike section or routes that are like Snowdon via Llanberis path,Ranger,Telegraph road are fine

ianfitz
    Free Member

The route round skiddaw is worth considering. Not much actual single track but worth riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Grizedale bridleway network would suit you, good mix of singletrack and rocks. Some of the most fun riding in the Lakes.

Or if the weather’s nice I’d have a go at Helvellyn and go down via Dollywagon. Tougher than Snowdon but also much better IMO.

How are you navigating?

breninbeener

Im ok with map and compass, but if could get jold of a gpx file i would bar mount my Garmin 62

thorpey0
    Free Member

PM me your email and I will send you a .gpx of a route and a description etc 😀

Esme
    Free Member

Ahem . . . we don’t have a PM facility on STW

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Up Hellvelyn zigzags Kepler cove all rideable if your super fit and strong as an ox. Go to the top for a photo then come down via sticks pass and seldom seen.
    Dollywagon is alright if you like steep stone pitched tight switchbacks. I wouldn’t say it’s got much flow tho.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Cough, sorry so used to other forums having that, email me!

Sandwich

Ullswater singletrack is also worth a go if technical rocky ascents are your thing. The descent off Boredale Hawse is fun too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dollywagon is alright if you like steep stone pitched tight switchbacks. I wouldn’t say it’s got much flow tho.

This is true, it’s such an awesome run down from grizedale tarn below though.

I actually enjoyed Dollywagon last time I did it. Big wheels made it much easier to keep the momentum going. Still hard on the upper body though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was glad to get down it alive and vowed never to repeat it
    I hate steps though.

Up Hellvelyn zigzags Kepler cove all rideable

NFM- not for mortals is that rideable. I reckon you are pretty fit if you can push your bike up there without stopping never mind ride [ its all doable to do the zig zags]

breninbeener

Its breninbeenerATgmailDOTcom

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Must do rides in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.