Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Muslims like us
  • cheers_drive

The Syrian trying to reason with a drunk EDL member was fantastic.

Interesting program for those of us who don’t know many Muslims, unfortunately those who would really benefit from watching it will never watch it in the first place.

MoreCashThanDash

Damn, forgot it was on, will have to iPlayer it.

Alpha1653

Stumbled across it and glad I did; a great programme to watch with a real opportunity to challenge all the cliches. Fantastic to see the vast majority of the house mates vehemently challenging the radical guy.

davosaurusrex

Cheers for the heads up – hadn’t even heard of it, will have a look

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wonder whether there’s a similar prog being emitted called “Christians like us”. Could be interesting.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d like to see ‘Atheists Like Us’, though it probably wouldn’t make for good viewing as the people on it would be too reasonable and level headed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Course they would

alpin
    Free Member

I’d like to see ‘Atheists Like Us’, though it probably wouldn’t make for good viewing as the people on it would be too reasonable and level headed

“fancy a bacon sandwich?”
    “bet your tits I do…!”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘Muslims Like Us’?

Are we to expect –

Gays Like Us?
    Jews Like Us?
    Black People Like Us?
    Cyclists Like Us? (Grand Tour Special? 8) )

scotroutes

“fancy a bacon sandwich?”
    “bet your tits I do…!”
    [/quote]
    Wouldn’t that be “Vegans like us”?

alpin
    Free Member

Abdulhuq “avoids eye contact with women”

What a penishead.

wiggles
    Free Member

‘d like to see ‘Atheists Like Us’, though it probably wouldn’t make for good viewing as the people on it would be too reasonable and level headed.

Of all the people I know the atheists are the ones who bring up their “beliefs” and try to shove it down everyone elses throats far more than any of the christians,muslims jews etc I know.

I’m not a religious person but I don’t call myself an atheist because of the militant style attitude that I usually encounter along with it. Almost as bad as vegans :p

fin25
    Free Member

I’m not a religious person but I don’t call myself an atheist because of the militant style attitude that I usually encounter along with it. Almost as bad as vegans :p

Oi!

I’m an atheist vegan!

I’d come round and smack you for saying that, but I’m too tired and I don’t see any point in anything. 😉

alpin
    Free Member

Of all the people I know the atheists are the ones who bring up their “beliefs” and try to shove it down everyone elses throats

Walked through town for the first time in months on the weekend. Two groups of salacious and one holding a bible shouting to the masses. Zero nutters standing there shouting about the values of not believing.

If I were to stand up and start shouting at passers by that God doesn’t exist I’m sure I’d get myself in more trouble (either with those passers by or the Pozilei) than I would if telling people that they are following the wrong path.

In fact, if I stood there and shouted out my thoughts on our capitalist society or the treatment of refugees I would get in more trouble than if I were shouting about God or Alan.

Edit… Allah. Obviously. Spellchecker, but Alan is just as poignant.

alpin
    Free Member

I’d come round and smack you for saying that, but I’m too tired

Probably need some protein 😉

alpin
    Free Member

“when in doubt, don’t be a dick”

Brilliant.

loddrik
    Free Member

Maybe more people should believe in Alan. I suspect there’d be less war and shenanigans.

I can immediately think of an Alan out on Norfolk that talks more sense thank most religious people.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Athiest here, never been accosted by an athiest in the street, about once a month people come round and try and convert us to their religion, plenty in the street doing the same. 2 Christian lads did ask me if they could talk to me when I was off to get a pizza. Said they could have one question – they asked what I thought about God, I asked which one?
    I got pizza, they were still looking shocked when I got back.

But even after all that it’s probably of huge importance these days that people actually study/learn about religions objectivly from a factual point of view rather than the Daily Mail.

ontor
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U1lTR8V90qU[/video]

mrmoofo

Wouldn’t that be terribly dull – people sitting together telling us how special they are ..?

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Great British faith off?

surfer
    Free Member

I’m not a religious person but I don’t call myself an atheist because of the militant style attitude

sigh

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m not a religious person but I don’t call myself an atheist because of the militant style attitude

The internet has a lot to answer for.

I used to say that I was a cyclist until I saw how many Daily Mail stories and Youtube videos featured aggressive law-breaking lycra-clad loons covered in ‘gotcha’ GoPros, telling everyone that they are special and saving the planet whilst riding naked through red lights only to stick their fingers up at law-abiding motorists who at least pay road tax.

Same goes for bloody vegans and sodding immigrants. Beats the life out of me how ppl can call themselves such things, especially when most of them are rubbish people! Hypocrites and bigots all.

Bla bla internet.

Wouldn’t that be terribly dull – people sitting together telling us how special they are ..?

See.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice to see the BBC has been forced to publicise that the UK has many different cultures living and thriving in the U.K. PST Brexit.

If they’d been forced to do this on the run up to Brexit the vote would have been different.

“Shutting the door once the horse has bolted” springs to mind.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Interesting watch. Thanks. It’s like Big Brother, as expected!

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Religion, race, cyclist, motorist, dog walker, rambler, makes no difference, some people are dicks, some aren’t, that’s life.

law-abiding motorists who at least pay road tax.

Haven’t we done this one already 🙄

thestabiliser
    Free Member

This thread turning into one of those developing world toilets where you basically just go and shit in a room full of shit.

philxx1975
    Free Member

If I were to stand up and start shouting at passers by that God doesn’t exist I’m sure I’d get myself in more trouble (either with those passers by or the Pozilei) than I would if telling people that they are following the wrong path.

Freedom of speech innit

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great British faith off?

🙂

Thanks OP will watch on catch up

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Haven’t we done this one already

Sorry I forgot to include [sarcy]sarcasm[/sarcy]

yunki
    Free Member

Maybe more people should believe in Alan. I suspect there’d be less war and shenanigans.

I’m quite enjoying Alain De Botton’s ‘Religion For Atheist’s’ atm..

It kind of looks at ways that we can be atheists without being complete and utter arseholes about it.. Ways that religious people and athiests can happily coexist side by side..
    I’ve only ever met atheists that come across as complete arseholes in two places – here on the forum on a depressingly regular basis, and occasionally I’m a bit of an atheist arsehole myself sometimes

I didn’t watch the TV programme though… I don’t see that sensationalism can ever be a good tool for education and progressive ideas

beanum

Maybe more people should believe in Alan.

[video]https://youtu.be/xaPepCVepCg[/video]

welshfarmer

Ah yes. Alan. The great God of Marmuts (or was it Steve?)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Hc204XVNA[/video]

cranberry
    Free Member

At least we would get an answer to the question: If everyone in the room is a vegan do they all still start conversations by virtue signalling that they are a vegan ?

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

When can we start voting the contestants out of the house? 😉

takisawa2

STW Big-Hitters Like-Us FTW.

alpin
    Free Member

don’t touch his onions!

and don’t cry like a girl if someone chucks a throwaway comment about your mum.

and regardless of his shoes, Abdul is a nutter…

and dickie-bow-boy is either thick or so naive thinking his questions wouldn’t get people’s backs up….

funkmasterp

Watched both episodes, but was pretty disappointing. They clearly picked 3/4 of them just to stir things up. The two younger women, the happy guy with the mad hair and the older blonde lady appeared to be the only sane members of the house. Did they get bow tie man from Hideous Stereotypes casting agency? The kitchen argument reminded me of that Meatloaf and Gary Busey one.

Edukator
    Free Member

But do they like each other? Syria, Iraq… and my own experience in Leicester shows it’s a highly sectarian faith. Looking at the history of NI you could ask the question “do Christians like each other?

The collective “us” refers to whom BTW?

Anyhow, from MuslimsInBritain.org

Masjid Theme is a contentious topic. Factionalism and sectarianism around mosques/masjids is widely recognised but treated by most masjid managements as a taboo subject, because every masjid will proclaim that it welcomes anyone of any persuasion, and this is manifestly true. Nevertheless, however welcome you are made to feel, every masjid will expect you to adhere to the practice that prevails in that masjid, and will treat you with hostility if you try and perform any other Islamic practice than that approved by the imam and committee even while claiming that their masjid is for the whole Muslim community and has no allegiance to any particular sect.
    Sectarianism is the biggest problem facing Muslims in Britain, yet it is the one that few masjids acknowledge as their own, and none has a constructive strategy for tackling it. Yet its prevalence is the single biggest obstacle to tackling violent extremism in Britain’s Muslim community.
    There are three vital ingredients to tackling militant extremism in UK masjids:
    (i) Masjid managements and imams must be transparent, accountable and inclusive of diverse factions.
    (ii) This cannot happen while they and their congregations remain sectarian, because opening up of access to masjids and their management risks take-over by a rival, hostile sect. Therefore Masjid management, imams and congregations must learn tolerance and mutual respect of diverse sects among themselves.
    (iii) Tolerance and mutual respect cannot occur while politicians and the media demonise ordinary, responsible and respectable sects such as Deobandis, Islamic Movement, and Salafis, or even politically challenging, but nevertheless tame, entities such as Hizb-ut-Tahrir.

MuslimsInBritain.org exists to address all three of these issues:-
    (i) I publish ‘Theme’ and ‘Management’ ethnicity information even when masjid managements themselves object, because I need to break the pretend taboo and bring the issue into the open.
    (ii) I publish information about sectarian activity and guidance on how to overcome it, to encourage tolerance and mutual respect.
    (iii) I publish MuslimsInBritain.org as the authoritative source of independent practical information about the UK Muslim community, to take apart government, politicians’ and media misconceptions about extremist preachers and extremist masjids.

alpin
    Free Member

And here is the crunch…. Weißt are told to respect religion, but followers don’t respect other factions of their own faith.

All just a load of mumbo jumbo, imo. Sooner we see past it the better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Muslims like us’ is closed to new replies.