Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 330 total)
  • Muslim Folks: help me defeat this xenophobic nonsense
  • surfer
    Free Member

You really are sinking quite low aren’t you

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we both are tbh [ though it was what you said]. It was made explicitly clear I was not comparing you to the EDL so it was quite low and somewhat pointless to bring it up.

sbob
    Free Member

Junkers: have you ever attended mosque?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnhe

My opinion (and I’m aware it’s only an opinion, and mine alone) is that I find the full face covering offensive. It seems totally at odds with equal rights to me.

Flaperon

It seems totally at odds with equal rights to me.

Surely equal rights suggest that it’s entirely their choice to cover their face?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Everyone should be naked the way God intended – problem solved (now if someone can only prove the existence of God I win 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Anyone want a biscuit? I’ve got chocolate hob nobs and some ginger oat cookies.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m going to have a lot of fun with this thread when I get round to having the time to do so.

Northwind

DenDennis – Member

@northwind- exactly,
    but who’s doing it right?
    i know many jews who eat bacon, muslims who drink alcohol and dont always pray 5 times a day.

And there are lots of christians who borrow or lend, covet their neighbour’s wives, etc etc. But what’s your point exactly? Some people who claim to be religious suck at it, therefore…

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

And there are lots of christians who borrow or lend, covet their neighbour’s wives, etc etc. But what’s your point exactly? Some people who claim to be religious suck at it, therefore…

Pah, that’s Old Testament stuff. Christians don’t really have to worry about it, that’s why we can eat pork, seafood, and arguably play backdoor games without worrying about not getting into heaven. The only real sin is denying the Trinity which is why Jehovah’s Witnesses will all burn for eternity.

The poor Muslims and Jews take the OT rules a lot more seriously; The Jews just denied the NT and the Muslims re-wrote the whole lot.

😀

Edukator
    Free Member

#waves a triclore#

(normally good enough for a xenophobic reaction and more than good enough in this case)

Northwind

It’s not xenophobia to dislike the French, it’s just common sense and experience 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is no religious requirement to wear the Burqa. The majority of women in Muslim countries don’t wear the Burqa. Covering the face is a mere interpretation of the Koran in the same way that all Christians don’t lead a life of celibacy like Nuns and Priests do. So should they choose to wear the Burqa then they should be allowed to, BUT if they do then they shouldn’t complain when asked to remove it for the purposes of law and security. Though this should be done respectfully and discretely as a mark of basic respect for a fellow persons belief’s. simple.

D0NK

BUT if they do then they shouldn’t complain when asked to remove it for the purposes of law and security

airport security/ID purposes etc as has been mentioned this is already done, just wondering, I seem to recall on certain demonstrations people with scarves/balaclavas/hoodies obscuring their face police were getting the people to remove them. Do I remember right and if so on what grounds did they request/enforce this? Actually thinking about it it may have been during the riots, when police saw a gang of people walking passed they asked them to uncover their face for the cameras they had setup.

Also has anyone tried getting through passport control with a none cultural/quasi-religious face covering? (whilst obviously agreeing to remove for purposes of identification)

I hope I’m wrong but I kinda get the feeling that me walking around an airport with a balaclava on might cause a bit of bother. Airport security IME aren’t blessed with much of a sense of humour. If we’ve agreed it’s not religious or necessary and it is a muslim woman’s choice to wear a niqab – and is allowed to – then surely anyone else can cover their face if they so choose for whatever reason.
    Whilst morally it’s more complex I think legally “for shits and giggles” is probably about as good a reason as “it’s part of my culture/religion”

GrahamS

I hope I’m wrong but I kinda get the feeling that me walking around an airport with a balaclava on might cause a bit of bother.

The difference is that you have no good reason to wear a balaclava in a bank or airport, unless you skied there and it is below zero inside!

And of course a balaclava has certain cultural connotations of its own, namely terrorism or robbery.

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I had to pick up on this gem:

Are bikinis banned in Turkey then ? Or is that the wrong sort of Islamic country – did you perhaps mean Saudi Arabia ?

Well it’s rather unlikely for anybody to refer to Turkey when they mention an Islamic country, given that it is officially secular. So much so that unlike here they do actually ban the wearing of religious headcover in government buildings, schools and universities.

Which I think makes that argument one of these – well done, ernie:

Edukator
    Free Member

And of course a balaclava has certain cultural connotations of its own, namely terrorism or robbery.

The difference being that you’re allowed to insult a balaclava wearer (me) by saying that but I’d get flamed for writing the same about a burka wearer.

GrahamS

Are you wearing a balaclava right now Edukator?

grum
    Free Member

The difference being that you’re allowed to insult a balaclava wearer (me) by saying that but I’d get flamed for writing the same about a burka wearer.

Do you consider wearing a balaclava an intrinsic part of your cultural identity? Do you wear it all the time?

D0NK

The difference is that you have no good reason to wear a balaclava in a bank or airport,

I would consider the same of someone covering their face for “religious reasons” and as I said cultural reasons should be on the same level legally as “just coz I want to”. If you want to do something illegal that is in your culture you’ll get short shrift from the law. so presumably if one culture allowed to do something legally in this country another culture can also do the same if they choose.

And of course a balaclava has certain cultural connotations of its own

OK drop the balaclava what if a bloke in jeans and T shirt wore a niqab wandering around the airport.

Northwind

Edukator – Member

You can’t be serious? You’re personally insulted that balaclavas are connected with terrorism or robbery? Did you invent it? And you make the same connection with the burqa? You’re having a laugh, or a troll, surely.

D0NK

Do you consider wearing a balaclava an intrinsic part of your cultural identity?

How do you define your culture? (Fair bit of presumption here – I could be wrong) but there’s a few ladies around my way, who would appear to have converted to islam for their muslim husbands. I presume they are still allowed to wear Niqab despite being 27th generation anglosaxon or whatever, does their culture change with their religion?

GrahamS

OK drop the balaclava what if a bloke in jeans and T shirt wore a niqab wandering around the airport.

I would hope that he’d be treated the same as anybody else from an official point of view – though I suspect the general public might be a little perturbed.

A realistic example might be someone who has to wear a medical face mask due to facial injuries.

birky
    Free Member

I’ve been asked many times to remove my motorbike helmet at petrol stations and wouldn’t dream of wearing it into a bank* or post office. I’ve yet to see anyone wearing a burka/niqab being checked.

*I did forget to take it off once and they locked the doors on me 😳

Edukator
    Free Member

I am totally serious. One can’t express an opinion which includes negative comment on religion on this forum without having one’s intelligence insulted, being accused of trolling or being insulted.

And yet look around you, how many have died over principles even more trivial than what people wear on their heads in the name of some faith/god/religion/calling in your lifetime?

D0NK

I suspect the general public might be a little perturbed

parts of the GP can get perturbed by pretty much anything, I’m sure we don’t need to pander to all their whims.

I’ve been asked many times to remove my motorbike helmet at petrol stations…//…I’ve yet to see anyone wearing a burka/niqab being checked

is that store policy in which case it would seem a bit naughty or a staff decision? In which case see above

molgrips
    Free Member

If that’s your logic you deserve to have your intelligence insulted, or at least questioned.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve been asked many times to remove my motorbike helmet at petrol stations and wouldn’t dream of wearing it into a bank* or post office. I’ve yet to see anyone wearing a burka/niqab being checked.

Have you thought of wearing a niqab under the motorbike helmet, then removing the helmet when asked? Make sure somebody is filming…

GrahamS

Like it aracer, possible Jackass moment there.

I suggest a motorcycle helmet, over a balaclava, over a niqab, over a scary clown mask, over someone who is horrendously ugly.

Northwind

Edukator – Member

I am totally serious. One can’t express an opinion which includes negative comment on religion on this forum without having one’s intelligence insulted, being accused of trolling or being insulted.

Let me clear that up. It’s not your opinion on religion that’s leading me to suspect you’re trolling. It’s the fact that you’re claiming to be offended by the fact that balaclavas are so strongly linked with crime. Nothing to do with religion, all to do with absurdity.

grum
    Free Member

I am totally serious.

No you’re not. You’re pretending to be offended in a lame attempt to create equivalence where it doesn’t exist.

Are there numerous cases of people wearing a burqa/niqab committing robberies then? I assume that’s why there is the restriction on motorcycle helmets.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Its a stupid religion, as are all religions. If there was a god what a **** he is for making people do stupid things.
    Also more fool those who religiously do anything

birky
    Free Member

Are there numerous cases of people wearing a burqa/niqab committing robberies then? I assume that’s why there is the restriction on motorcycle helmets.

So every motorcyclist is to be treated like a potential robber? Kinda like treating all muslims as potential terrorists.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I suggest a motorcycle helmet, over a balaclava, over a niqab, over a scary clown mask, over someone who is horrendously ugly

Oooh, it could be like that bit in the last episode of The Prisoner!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are there numerous cases of people wearing a burqa/niqab committing robberies then?

Possibly so. (links further back in the thread somewhere)
    You’re going to need a statistician and a lot more numbers to estimate if it’s significant though.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you think I am wrong to associate religious symbols with terrorism and violence (sometimes including robbery) then I suggest you provide alternative explanations for many of the world’s current ills and conflicts, Molgrips. You could start with what divided India and Pakistan (where conflict continues) and finish with Iraq where Muslim factions are arguing over the details of their own religion – a long bearded man accompanied by a burka wearing woman will generally be identified as Sunnies by Shiites. Even having the wrong name can be fatal.

Peyote
    Free Member

If there was a god what a **** he is for making people do stupid things.

Not a ****, just got a highly developed sense of humour. Don’t worry, when we’re all dead we’ll get the joke and laugh at the living too!

IanMunro
    Free Member

If there was a god what a **** he is for making people do stupid things.

Yeah but if you’re all powerful it’s going to unhinge you a bit.
    You see the mental things some people with too much power get up to, then remember that we’re made apparently in god’s image – which would raise the possibility that he’s proper batshit crazy.

grum
    Free Member

You could start with what divided India and Pakistan

The British empire?

So every motorcyclist is to be treated like a potential robber? Kinda like treating all muslims as potential terrorists.

Do all muslim terrorists wear a burka?

Lifer
    Free Member

grum – Member

“You could start with what divided India and Pakistan”

The British empire?

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Muslim Folks: help me defeat this xenophobic nonsense’ is closed to new replies.