Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Musing on death and beauty…..
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watching Mr Martin in the Tin Triangle, I find myself musing on the fact that there are many bringers of death that are also rather beautiful.

Examples;

and….bear with me on this one….

If you didn’t know what it was, and what it was bringing, you’d think it was beautiful.

A touch morbid, for which I can only apologise. Any other examples, though?

scaredypants

Functional is often beautiful IMO

gregsd
    Free Member

Switch over and watch The Hunt on BBC1

matt_outandabout

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Brigitte Lahaie. In the 1970s. With a scythe.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh Mr OAAB, Niiiiice choice. Looks like Velux in the Southern Ocean??? Classic…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always had me wondering… just why the fek would you…?

Bregante

RustySpanner

Bregante

If you didn’t know what it was, and what it was bringing, you’d think it was beautiful

I feel the same about Cauliflower.

Riksbar

Deadly in many ways

ourmaninthenorth

Driven to it by the Dane.

SaxonRider

Never was Jim Carrey’s impersonation of Jimmy Stewart more a propos.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0syLFyuiHE[/video]

CountZero

Watching Mr Martin in the Tin Triangle, I find myself musing on the fact that there are many bringers of death that are also rather beautiful.

Absolutely

CountZero

Deadly in many ways

How do you obtain a Starfighter? Buy a patch of ground and wait…

mikey74
    Free Member

Drac

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wasn’t called ‘The Widowmaker’ for nothing. Killed a lot of pilots. (open to conjecture)

RustySpanner

Largactil…..5 miligrammes……

loddrik
    Free Member

If the WHO are to be believed…

Riksbar

[/quote]How do you obtain a Starfighter?

From the same page as the first image.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@ Drac. AH64 Apache Longbow.

‘Don’t bother running, you’ll only die tired’

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/y6A6Bn]Goshawk 003[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

It has 2 brain cells. One says ‘fly fast’ the other says ‘kill everything in sight’.

& on the other hand…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oX6i9G]AWM L115A3[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

seadog101

The Starfighter was a good safe aircraft, until it was altered from its original spec for roles it was never intended. That’s when things went wrong, sadly for the pilots.

CountZero

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Wasn’t called ‘The Widowmaker’ for nothing. Killed a lot of pilots. (open to conjecture)

IIRC, the biggest problem was with the ones flown by the Luftwaffe, due to poor maintenance; I read of things like tools left in jet intakes and suchlike. ‘Course, with a plane like the 104, it’s not got much in the way of glide characteristics if things go tits up!
    I mean, just look at the bloody thing, it’s little more than a guided missile with the guidance system one poor bugger sat at the pointy end, with a sodding great jet engine behind him and the smallest wings they could get away with to get it airborne.

tinribz
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I nearly said about the German ones but don’t have facts to hand, didn’t they lose more than anyone?

I remember seeing (& hearing) The Vikings display team at RAF Leuchars waay back, 2 x 104’s, Dutch IIR. Fast, loud & bloody impressive!

Riksbar

If we’re talking beautiful V-bombers, this carried more, further, and looked better doing it.
    [/url]Handley-Page, H.P. 80, Victor by SDASM Archives, on Flickr[/img]

tenfoot

I always knew the star fighter as the Flying Coffin.

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s definitely something about mushroom clouds – there’s a book, 100 Suns, with lots of stunning pictures. And of course there’s the film of the Tsar Bomba:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwlNPhn64TA[/video]

mrsfry
    Free Member

willard

The F104 is the reason that I have to do a yearly course on corruption in business. From legend, the manufacturers bribed the shit out of NATO to buy it.

I, personally, don’t think that the AI AWM is a nice looking rifle. It’s very, very functional. Depending on your skills, this can be quite deadly (to smaller animals)

stevied
    Free Member

Pigface
    Free Member

roper
    Free Member

I had to really

Edit. Ah beaten to the snake.

nickc

weirdly, also the U2 is only a couple of steps removed from the F104. the original Lockheed design for the U2 (the CL282) was a 104 with a shorter fuselage and longer (natch) wings…

from one of the fastest planes at the time, to one of the slowest!

CountZero

I nearly said about the German ones but don’t have facts to hand, didn’t they lose more than anyone?
    I remember seeing (& hearing) The Vikings display team at RAF Leuchars waay back, 2 x 104’s, Dutch IIR. Fast, loud & bloody impressive!

I have some sort of recollection from back then that the Luftwaffe ones had a terrible safety record.
    Re the display team, I remember going up to the RIAT on a truly vile day, July 21, my birthday, very low cloud, windy, bloody cold, (I bought, and wore, a sheepskin flying jacket as a birthday pressy to myself I was so cold), and I remember watching a 104 display team, which I think were Turkish, they were just about the last airforce flying them.
    Considering the dreadful conditions they put on a pretty good show, cloud ceiling was less than 1000′, and they were doing high speed low-level passes with one upside down below the other, ‘mirroring’ it, with a grey shock cloud of compressed moisture practically enveloping both planes, then doing the same with them top to top, bloody impressive, all things considered.
    Terrifying, too; I kept expecting things to go very horribly sideways.
    The ‘Century series’ American jets all had issues of one sort or another, if memory serves.

aracer
    Free Member

For Northwind:

matt_outandabout

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Musing on death and beauty…..’ is closed to new replies.