Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Musing on a 2Souls Quarterhorse 1 year(ish) on.
  • jfb01
    Free Member

Hi funkrodent ,I have been thinking of fitting a Bikeyoke Revive to my QH.
    Cable routing could go under the leather decal on the down tube,if the dt was protected with helitape first.If I ever do it I will post it up.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have more to add in respect of the Quarterhorse, but I need some processing time to straighten out my impressions and isolate things.

funkrodent

The thread that keeps on giving! My interest in internally routed droppers is from the fact that the highly rated (and very cheap) Brand-X dropper is internal only. Not too fussed about messy cables, its a veritabke disaster area at the moment.
    Regarding the whole chainstay thang (see above) my thoughts are that a small with 435mm chainstays and a 415mm reach will feel and behave very differntly to an XL of the same bike with 435mm chainstays and a 485mm reach (to quote made up examples). The length of the chainstays in proportion to the rest of the bike is far greater on the small frame than it is on the XL. This will mean substantially different handling characteristics through the range. That seems fairly obvious to me. Not saying its a bad thing per se, but it does seem to me odd that manufacturers dont factor this in (other than 2Souls and Norco and a couple of others).
    Anyway, been thinking about the reach on the QH. Been riding my Norco Sight FS with much longer reach. Noticeable difference is lack of poppiness of front wheel. This has a negative impact on the Sight’s performance when getting wheel up for drops and roots, but does mean better tech climbing ability. Horses for courses. For overall performance combined with fun though I’m still very much sold on the QH its just an excellent piece of kit and so agile for a big bike!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sooooo,

Its taken 3 and a half years, but my journey with the Quarterhorse has come to an end.

It was certainly better with the slackset installed, but it still felt like it needed a bit more fork in front. Ultimately I felt that the cockpit was a bit too short for me with a shorter stem, but a longer stem to make it fit better affected the steering adversely.

It’s easy to think from my comments that its not a very good bike, but that wouldn’t be the case, its a cracking bike that has taken my riding from ‘I’m not taking a hardtail down there’ to riding all the same lines as the FS, and shifting my riding defaults from grabbing the FS without thinking, to grabbing the HT without thinking.

But as my riding has evolved, I have ended up looking for something that the Quarterhorse isn’t.

I couldn’t make it what I wanted it to be, notably because I wanted a longer front centre within the frame so that I wouldn’t have to compromise on steering. Once I’d installed the slackset, it took a couple of months for me to draw the conclusion that the length in the cockpit just wasn’t where I wanted it.

and so, I’ve moved from this:

to this:

I can’t deny that curiosity in what is currently the most extreme Nu-skool 29er geometry I can find isn’t a factor in my decision. If anyone’s interested in how I get on, I might post up some first impressions, but I think it’ll be on a new thread.

vondally
    Free Member

Is that a Last frame?

And have you sold the quarter horse?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Would be very interested in your thoughts on the new bike (FF?), found this thread very informative!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah, T’is a Last Fast Forward. I’ve had about 3/4 weeks on it so far. The Quarterhorse is currently languishing in the garage on, uh.., standby I guess.

😀

I’ve kept the Last as a 29er which I think at the moment is in a minority compared to the few I’ve seen on STW.

NormalMan

Scienceofficer – Member

If anyone’s interested in how I get on, I might post up some first impressions, but I think it’ll be on a new thread.

As a fan of 29er HTs I’d be interested in reading. Even if my 2 are at a different end of the gnarmeter/ radometer 8) although 1 is a Solaris so pretty much where this thread came in I guess.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Musing on a 2Souls Quarterhorse 1 year(ish) on.’ is closed to new replies.