Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Musicians report. Recommend me a monitor amp for my new synth please
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I received my Korg Minilogue yesterday and I’d like to hear what it can do.

Any recommendations for a decent low powered amp? I’ve for £100 to spend.

Many thanks.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Blimey this is gonna roll off the page before I get a response!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Something like an Alto TX10 PA speaker? Not terrible and will do the job….. I’d keep an eye out for a 10 inch PA speaker on the second hand market tbh…. although not that many come up for sale as a single….

plyphon
    Free Member

If you’re using at home the better solution would be to buy an audio interface and some monitor speakers?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Plyphon – I will only be using at home. Could you give an example of an audio interface please?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just buy some decent headphones. You only need an audio interface if you are connecting it to a DAW.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-7506-Professional-Headphone-Black/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509098194&sr=8-1&keywords=the+sony+mdr-7506

I use those, paid cheaper for them mind, 70 if i remember right.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I already have some Sennheiser RS180s.

If I spend £3 on a 6.3>3.5mm jack am I away?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Should be, a synth is more than a midi controller, it makes noise, so aye I’d imagine so.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Connectors Headphones (6.3mm stereo phone jack)
    Output (6.3mm monaural phone jack)
    Audio In (6.3mm monaural phone jack)
    Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack)
    Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack)
    MIDI In
    MIDI Out
    USB Type B

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/minilogue/spec_downloads.php

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If you’re using at home the better solution would be to buy an audio interface and some monitor speakers

This.

Something like a Focusrite Scarlett (Or RME if you’re feeling flush) and a pair of these –

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tapco-S5-Studio-Monitor-Pair/142544504176?hash=item2130508570:g:zjAAAOSwZW5Z6PBU

Or these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tapco-s8-studio-monitors-active-speakers-made-by-Mackie/332219972522?hash=item4d59da7baa:g:65YAAOSwIQdZF5fG

I have both and they are suberb especially with the SW10 sub, the quality is indiscernible from my brother’s Mackies.

slowoldman

Audio interface is to connect to a computer. Is that what you are after?

derek_starship
    Free Member

At the moment I just want to play through some speakers at a moderate volume.

DAW etc. may come later.

Can I play through my Denon mini system via USB?

somafunk

I have a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 audio interface that would work, connect that to a small pair of active speakers such as these Alesis M1 if money is tight or if you are feeling flush KRK Rokit 4 if you are feeling flush

You could have the Audio Kontrol for £25 if you like, it’s been sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years. I’m pretty sure i have the xlr jack leads to connect audio kontrol to active speakers.

Link to Audio
    Kontrol here

EDIT : the usb output on the minilogue is for midi control only, The Audio I/O is a single quarter–inch output, a single–channel quarter–inch audio input, and a quarter–inch TRS headphone output – this is the output to use. I’d use a stereo cable which splits to two mono outputs which would take the stereo output of the headphone jack and split it out into separate left and right leads to plug into the Audio Kontrol then to active speakers

ajantom

Look for a second hand powered stage monitor – something like the Studio Spares stage monitor or Behringer Eurolive.
    Full range speakers, pretty powerful amps, and will give you a decent sound.

Something like this…. Speaker on EBay

seosamh77
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member
    At the moment I just want to play through some speakers at a moderate volume.

DAW etc. may come later.

Can I play through my Denon mini system via USB?

The USB will most likely be for it connect to a computer for midi purposes, you’re probably looking at taking the headphone/output out to your hifi somehow.

you should mibbe read the manual/youtube a couple of videos…

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re only using it at low volume, get an active studio monitor. Don’t get a stage monitor because it’ll sound feeble unless you can increase your budget tenfold.

plyphon
    Free Member

It depends what the end goal is.

If the goal is to play in ‘isolation’, like you would an acoustic guitar round the campfire, and not record or process your sound in any way what so ever – then a portable amp type thing works.

If you want to connect your synth to bigger, better sounding speakers, be able to route the sound to a computer, add (virtual) effects to your synth and ultimately record your music – then you’ll need an audio interface. Broadly speaking.

A great beginner audio interface is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It has two outputs to your active monitor speakers, and two inputs for your synths. It goes to USB to your PC.

Personally, I would never listen to a synth dry. Some people like raw synth sounds, but I only enjoy subtractive synths with some EQ and a reverb/delay. I don’t have hardware racks, so I used to connect my BassStation 2 to my interface and apply FX inside Ableton. I could record that into my tracks that way. My ‘studio’ (read: lounge) monitors reproduced the sound.

At the end of next week I’ll have a Focusrite 2i2 for sale. If anyones interested let me know. There are plenty on the Bay though.

AdamT

@somafunk, I’m looking for an audio interface for my brother. Is it still available?

somafunk

Or a simpler method : you could just use a stereo cable which splits to two mono outputs which would take the stereo output of the headphone jack and split it out into separate left and right leads to plug into the RCA/jack input on active speakers

somafunk

Yeah, if you want it?

slowoldman

Or a simpler method : you could just use a stereo cable which splits to two mono outputs which would take the stereo output of the headphone jack and split it out into separate left and right leads to plug into the RCA/jack input on active speakers

Or into the aux input on your hi fi.

seosamh77
    Free Member

At the end of next week I’ll have a Focusrite 2i2 for sale. If anyones interested let me know. There are plenty on the Bay though.

convienient! 😆 😉

Only kidding! I can recommend it, been happily using the 2i4 for a good while now. Might need to double up on usb sockets if using a laptop though, one port wasn’t enough for me.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I got one of these cables and plugged it into the ANALOGUE IN sockets on the back of my mini-system. Absolutely lovely. I also got a 6.3>3.5 adaptor so I can use my RS180s. Again – works lovely.

So all sorted thanks to STW and Maplin for £20.

Thanks all.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Musicians report. Recommend me a monitor amp for my new synth please’ is closed to new replies.